Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times

Advertisements

Whatever you say man...I lived in Boston for the better part of my life, I've also been in New York for quite some time, was in Atlanta, and now I'm in Santiago, Chile. Aside from Atlanta, it's pretty much all been the same for me, or maybe I just don't pick up on the kind of stuff that you do. You can take a picture of any street corner in Santiago and if the street signs weren't in Spanish there's not really any way to tell if it were Boston, New York, London, Madrid, New Delhi, Mexico City...you line up a bunch of buildings, put narrow streets between them, let a few hundred years of the elements take their toll, and eventually it all looks the same, at least it does to me.

Mainly what I'm referring to as far as Boston goes, is like I said, I probably wouldn't even recognize Maverick Square anymore. Now that Kenmore Square has that huge bus station in the middle of it, I probably wouldn't recognize it either. Now that the el train is gone from Causeway street and it's all modern and spruced up, it could be any urban city-scape from any major street in any city on the planet. You drive through the tunnels now that the artery is gone and it's just like any other highway in any other place. Down here in Santiago the people are mad because the public transportation company got rid of all the old buses and bought a new fleet of Volvo buses that look pretty much the same as whichever brand the T uses. The more the world shrinks, the more it all becomes alike and the more regional identity is lost. I have a friend who majored in linguistics and he said that my generation will probably be the last one with the typical "Boston" accent. Things do indeed change, but if you take a good look at the world, they're all changing towards the same thing, the same style of architecture, the same trends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
That's a really sad mentality to have and I bet you're very much in the minority of people who thinks all "old architecture" looks the same. I'd hate to go by on a daily basis and be so indifferent towards my surroundings. Having been to Boston, New York, London, Madrid and New Delhi (not Mexico City, though), I know how different they are. The fact that they look the same to you is pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Mainly what I'm referring to as far as Boston goes, is like I said, I probably wouldn't even recognize Maverick Square anymore. Now that Kenmore Square has that huge bus station in the middle of it, I probably wouldn't recognize it either. Now that the el train is gone from Causeway street and it's all modern and spruced up, it could be any urban city-scape from any major street in any city on the planet.
What you're saying is, "It's not like it was when I was younger, so it's not unique."

Man, the more I read your posts on this, the more self-centered your perspective appears. Yeah, those areas have changed. But (surprise!) they were changing LONG before you ever experienced them. Someone who grew up in Maverick Square 20 years before you would be telling you the exact same thing. Causway Street didn't have the El' in 1630 or 1776 or 1863 and it wasn't the only urban street to have an El' on it when it existed. How do you think people felt when the El' was being built (you know, when the city was "modernizing") Don't you think many people probably felt that they wouldn't even recognize that area anymore? That Boston was just the same as all of these other cities (Chicago, New York, etc) with their newfangled elevated trains running over the streets? Dude, it's not not as if the city had been the same for hundreds of years when you showed up and only just started "modernizing." It's been evolving it from the start and it will continue to evolve.

The fact is that this city has over 300 years of history and that's not going anywhere. That history defines this city. There will be new buildings, stores, restaurants, etc. but all of those things will be building on an existing foundation of historic structures, culture and more... not wiping it away. Some of those "new" things will eventually become old and as definitive of Boston as the Paul Revere House is today. The Citgo sign was once maligned for being an eyesore and a blight. When they tried to take it down a few years ago there was an outcry because it was considered a landmark now.

If you really can't tell the difference between Boston and Madrid, or Boston and Santiago, I feel sorry for you. You're certainly in the minority. I can't imagine going through life and not being able to see the characteristics that make things unique.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM

158 posts, read 545,653 times
Actually, the El was a somewhat generic and ugly characteristic. The greenway gives the area a much more pleasant, and also a more Eureopean plaza feel. It costs too much money, but its still nice. At one time people probably thought old Maverick Square, the El and thee central artery were homogeneous and generic.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Actually, the El was a somewhat generic and ugly characteristic.
This is one area where I concede that I'm too young to "get it." The nostalgic folks like to talk about the atmosphere on Causeway Street outside the old garden after a B's/C's Game with the Green Line rumbling overhead. I don't doubt it was cool and I can see how people would consider the new Garden and the Greenway to be a bit sterile. I'd imagine it would be the similar to the feeling many would have if Fenway was demolished and replaced with something a little more generic and the scene on Lansdowne/Yawkey was dulled a bit. I can sympathize.

I don't totally hate the Greenway. I'd like to see a few parcels (especially the ones with ramps) built upon so it's not an unbroken chain (buildings with ground floor retail/ hotel/residential/office space will make them a bit more lively), and I'd like to see a little more redevelopment along the side (the Aquarium Garage needs to go... that might be the single most important development for the RKG) so more buildings are oriented towards the parks (they're turned away now since it used to be an elevated highway). With time, the RKG will be an great asset. Perhaps as good (better?) than the Comm. Ave. Mall.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
RC1981-Boylston St. could be the main thoroughfare of any city on Earth that is 300+ years old and has been made over to suit the times.
um Back bay was filled in the mid-1800s so it isnt even close to 300 years old

Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
I think the question is a bit odd in at itself. Much of north america was colonized by the UK (original colonies and canada, France (new france), Spain (new spain), Portugal (Brazil), Russia (Alaska although they didn't really have many people there).

Colonalization does odd things. I went to the MFA last year and they have the Americas section. I saw some furniture from Mexico that looked more like a Asian design..it was...it was made in the Philippines. But since it and Mexico were part of Spain when it was made it was shipped to Mexico.
Meanwhile if you go to Shanghai the Bund area clearly appears to be European
The Bund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it was made up of concessions from various european countries so obviously the architecture appears european.
Meanwhile just down town in Pudong it looks like a scene from Blade Runner
Pudong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My basic point is colonalization changed much of the planet and the legacy hasn't ended.
the majority of North America IS European (except Vermont which was independent for awhile).

How exactly is European defined? The northeast has the highest use of rail lines in the country but on the same note the system in DC is much more modern than Boston. The MBTA rails are old but it's because we were nearly the first to have a system. Last time I was in Europe was '97..I don't think people take two hour lunches here but that's faded in Europe. The tipping has changed as some here include it in the bill. Drug laws are somewhat relaxed but alcohol has stayed the same. Gradually more states are allowing same sex marriage.

In terms of diversity I think most cities tend to be diverse simply due to their population counts and the fact that it is the USA.

Having said this I would say that Boston is very historic and that is a good/bad thing. As mentioned the rails could be improved and I think eventually we will need a new Fenway park. Keeping things historic can be ok but it doesn't always help in the long run.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,067 times
I wish it had more places to drink outside without having to eat like Europe does. Or at least let people buy beer in packies and drinking it on the street. Some of my best memories in Europe was grabbing some beer cans from the store and sitting on the ground in Grand Place in Brussels, just enjoying the night.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
RC1981-Boylston St. could be the main thoroughfare of any city on Earth that is 300+ years old and has been made over to suit the times.
um Back bay was filled in the mid-1800s so it isnt even close to 300 years old
Boylston St. was originally known as Frog Lane, as seen in this map from 1722.

http://www.doak.ws/1722MapOfBostonJohnBonner.jpg

It came eventually to be called Common St. because it was extended to border the southern part of the Common as it does today. Later, it was aligned with what you see on this map as Orange St. and renamed Boylston St. after the Back Bay was filled in. So whether or not it bore the name "Boylston St." the street itself has existed a lot longer than the Back Bay.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,773 times
That's a good question, my feeling for my answer is: no. It is probably considered to be "Colonial" (in some parts, especially the parts that everyone knows about when it comes to Boston) and that was a style of architecture and life that the Europeans who came over established here. I would say that SOME places would feel like a street in Ireland or England or maybe even Germany or Holland. However, you find that in many cities across the United States (that's a cool thing too). Yet, overall, nah, I wouldn't say that Boston feels European. Boston is a very American city if you ask me.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Not all European cities look or feel alike.....

But no, in general, I don't think Boston looks or feels especially European. Aesthetics aside, there are cultural differences between the US and Europe that prevent one from feeling like the other.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston