Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM

59 posts, read 143,210 times

Advertisements

Hot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Handsome, charming, witty, intelligent, just overall fun to be around ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrMDNpODOc

‪The Guy From Boston...Moving To Arizona‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
I just noticed that the OP is no longer a member. That doesn't mean she can't come back and read answers to her question, and of course others may find the topic interesting.

I get the impression that the OP may be picturing a lot of refined, gentlemanly sorts, maybe not exactly like the stereotype of a Brahmin, but something in that ballpark who would be kind of an updated version. Those guys can be found in Boston, but so can blue-collar regular Joes, snooty college kids, hard-nosed corporate climbers, oddball intellectuals, immigrants who add their own twists based on various non-American cultures, and even guys like those pictured in Cliff's and LRFox's posts. I'm using stereotypes here, but doing so to present a sharp picture of the variety of personalities you'll find here. No one type really defines the male populace of Boston, any moreso than anywhere else.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,698 times
There is a Boston male (in 50's) that I would like to meet. How can I get his
attention to email me? Would humor catch his attention, more than being serious?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 PM

181 posts, read 505,813 times
I am picturing wicked smaht professor types

Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurinpr View Post
There is a Boston male (in 50's) that I would like to meet. How can I get his
attention to email me? Would humor catch his attention, more than being serious?
It depends totally on this individual, what he's like, what you're like, what vibes are there when you interact with each other. His being from Boston would have nothing to do with how this one individual would connect to someone. What kind of interactions have you already had with him? How have those gone?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:04 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
This has got to be the funniest posts here ever as I roar reading this and seeing how smaht and handsome we are. I love it. I am on my way to dawchestah to work up a thirst at the gym, den go to da bah for a beeah and a paaahty LOL

Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
In my area I have noticed 3 types of men. I'm from here but I have been softened by my stay in Florida.

Type 1. Yankee-Mr. Wasp : Extremely preppy. They look like cut-outs from Jcrew. Educated or in the process of getting an education...he may not study much since Daddy's money can get him whatever he wants anyways but he will still finish his education. I believe this effects their personality and may not relate with people outside of anyone else who is not a WASP or Connecticut bred. They are generally respectful..yet not very manly. A typical date will be dinner in Newton or Newbury Street over strained conversation. He went to Harvard or BC if his grades weren't good enough. Good chance he graduated debt free.

Type 2. Staunch Liberal. The Staunch Liberal may or may not be gay. It is hard to tell if some straight staunch liberals are in fact straight. This has to do with their "enlightenment" of not having to put on a masculine front. Many of them even speak in somewhat feminine tones of voice. Most of the Staunch Liberals have great upbringings (that is being raised in Boston of course ) but they may have evolved past paying for dates, opening car doors, and taking on traditional gender roles. Expect a date to consist of eating "ethnic" foods and discussing the NPR line up of the past few days. They would probably tend to date a woman who is a minority such as an Asian Emerson girl, a Hispanic scholarship recipient at Tufts, or a Black girl who is studying sociology at BC.

Type 3. Pure mass hole. He may have a drinking problem. You may never figure it out for sure. Between sporting events which are spiritual events for this man that seem to happen quite frequently and having friends in town from California or Florida (the ones who escaped Boston's harsh climate) he may be drinking beahs and whiskeys multiple nights a week. He is from Boston or maybe upper New England. A typical date will involve drinking and eating lobster rolls. He will usually be a gentleman and take on traditional gender roles but he won't have as high of a salary as the Staunch Liberal or Mr.Wasp due to less Education or less selling out...it's hard to tell.

All New England men can fit into one of these catagories. Some will be a mix of two.

There are also sub-catagories that fall into these that include typical techie, traumatized transplant, California-douche, asexual hipster, etc.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM

181 posts, read 505,813 times
Thanks Pear, very informative But it sounds like this is only really a report on extremely young college guys. I'd be curious to hear something about guys 30-45. Married off already?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Yea...I'm speaking more of men in their 20's even late 20's. The only men in the 35-40 range I ever run into in life is at the day care I work at...they are all pretty nice hardworking fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston