Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 AM

16 posts, read 17,680 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family is having such a hard time moving to the Boston area from NJ. It is either that realtors we are dealing with are not very organized, or no one wants to rent to a couple with three children, or a suitable place isn't certified lead free. The only things we find available are in Dorchester and I hear it is very hit-or-miss on safety I don't feel comfortable trying to figure it out.

Can someone please recommend someone reliable to help us find a place. My husband is attending school in the North End in September, we have exhausted the resources the school provided us with and time is getting short.

We did find a nice person to work with but she is closer to the Mansfield-N. Attleboro area, would it be unreasonable or expensive to commute that far everyday?

Thanks so much I appreciate any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastnj View Post
Hi,
My family is having such a hard time moving to the Boston area from NJ. It is either that realtors we are dealing with are not very organized, or no one wants to rent to a couple with three children, or a suitable place isn't certified lead free. The only things we find available are in Dorchester and I hear it is very hit-or-miss on safety I don't feel comfortable trying to figure it out.

Can someone please recommend someone reliable to help us find a place. My husband is attending school in the North End in September, we have exhausted the resources the school provided us with and time is getting short.

We did find a nice person to work with but she is closer to the Mansfield-N. Attleboro area, would it be unreasonable or expensive to commute that far everyday?

Thanks so much I appreciate any replies
I don't have any suggestions as to a good rental realtor because that's kind like searching for bigfoot.

I would think Mansfield would be to further than most people would want to commute, though plenty of people do it. Check out mbta.com for T (subway) and commuter rail maps and monthly pass costs. If you husband is thinking of driving to the North End I strongly suggest he reconsider.

You are on the right track with Dorchester probably not being a good idea. I'm guessing with three kids that public schools may be an concern either now or in the near future so I would suggest staying out of Boston proper.

I would suggest narrowing down towns and then calling realtors in those towns or searching craigslist from there. If you post your budget and needs (max commute time, schools, urban/suburban, etc) in the general MA forum there are loads of people willing to suggest some towns.

Best of luck!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:43 PM
DBF

78 posts, read 186,318 times
Would you mind sharing who you worked with in Mansfield/N. Attleboro....that is close to where we would like to rent.

Also, does anyone know of apts or homes that rent for less than a year in the Franklin area.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF View Post
Would you mind sharing who you worked with in Mansfield/N. Attleboro....that is close to where we would like to rent.

Also, does anyone know of apts or homes that rent for less than a year in the Franklin area.
We were working with Gerry Abbott Realty based on a recommendation, here's the link to the women who helped us. Very friendly and helpful
Our Agents - Gerry Abbott Inc., Realtors

Old 07-25-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post

You are on the right track with Dorchester probably not being a good idea. I'm guessing with three kids that public schools may be an concern either now or in the near future so I would suggest staying out of Boston proper.
Up until now we have been homeschooling, but I am considering sending our kids to public school so I can work a little more. Not happy about this, but thanks for the heads up

Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastnj View Post
Up until now we have been homeschooling, but I am considering sending our kids to public school so I can work a little more. Not happy about this, but thanks for the heads up
There are plenty of places in Mass. with GREAT schools, but like most states the city isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston