Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM

932 posts, read 1,174,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Traffic situation definitely will not improve by moving to Boston. It makes Miami look easy. No savings on housing either. 1226 for a 2/2 in BOS would be a very good deal. Boston is significantly more crowded than Miami. Job opportunities are good, but it is an expensive area so although you'll make a lot more money you'll have a lot more expense.

I moved from Miami to Boston. Here's the breakdown from my POV:

Miami is more engaging, more personable, more intrusive, crazier, warmer, hotter, more dramatic, more theatrical, kookier, sexier, wilder.

Boston is more refined, more cerebral, more intelligent, more historic, a lot safer, more uptight, less intrusive, more polite, trashier, definitely much colder.

Overall from your description, I'm not sure BOS is going to be a good fit for you.
As someone who lives near Boston now and lived in South FL for several years, let me echo the above.

I rented a very decent condo in Downtown Miami for $1,350 a month. That was a high-rise condo with all the mod cons and a city view. I would not find anything like that in Boston itself, hence the fact that I live far outside the city itself. Aside from property tax, housing costs in South FL aren't too bad, although they are high in comparison to salaries.

Drivers...driving in South FL was the bane of my existence, but driving in and around Boston isn't a lot less stressful, but it's a different monster. The weaving in / out and macho stupidity of South FL was traded for the far more aggressive driving of Boston & surroundings. People tailgate here a lot more and no one has a clue how to merge. Still, drivers tend to respect pedestrians and cyclists a lot more, but I honestly don't know what city is worse to drive in, as traffic volume is hands down worse than Miami.

In short, if you are coming here for less stressful driving, think again. You'll just be trading maniacs on 6 lane (better lit) roads for more aggressive (but less reckless) drivers on much smaller roads. However, the beauty is that you don't need to rely on the car as much.

Culturally and in terms of diversity, this is a huge improvement on South FL. Just speaking of the company I work for alone is proof enough - far greater mix of people. People are far more reserved, less intrusive and better mannered (except on the road). Culturally, there are few cities in the US that can rival Boston. It is a beautiful city, but expensive. I also find people (in general) to be very knowledgeable and well educated. Even so-called blue collar types here (I hate that term) know their stuff, unlike many other parts of the country.

Last edited by Glasvegas; 01-01-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,445,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post

PS - When someone said "trashier" did they mean trashier as in litter or the way people dressed?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM

104 posts, read 228,490 times
I don't think those photos indicate that Boston is trashier than Miami. I could go to Miami and take photos of the trash in the streets there and trump those anyday. Hell, the parking lot where I worked at alone contained fast food wrappers, containers, liquor bottles, hair, (?) used condoms, and diapers with loads in them. Bear in mind this was a parking lot in a strictly business area in West Miramar. Miami proper always holds much more delightful surprises.

To the poster maybe moving to Canton, I lived there for about a year-Nice suburb with a mix of new and old homes, and easy access to the T to get into Boston painlessly. I recall summer and fall being optimal, winter being cold but not, for example, Iowa cold, some snow but not, for example, Iowa snow, and the spring being ok. There's always something to do regardless of the season, and once you adapt to the cold you'll appreciate being able to wear those cute winter fashions and boots you only get to bust out once a year in Miami, if you are lucky.

If you can afford to live in Mass. comfortably, there is just no comparison. The quality of life is superior in every way.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM

124 posts, read 333,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
I don't think those photos indicate that Boston is trashier than Miami. I could go to Miami and take photos of the trash in the streets there and trump those anyday. Hell, the parking lot where I worked at alone contained fast food wrappers, containers, liquor bottles, hair, (?) used condoms, and diapers with loads in them. Bear in mind this was a parking lot in a strictly business area in West Miramar. Miami proper always holds much more delightful surprises.

To the poster maybe moving to Canton, I lived there for about a year-Nice suburb with a mix of new and old homes, and easy access to the T to get into Boston painlessly. I recall summer and fall being optimal, winter being cold but not, for example, Iowa cold, some snow but not, for example, Iowa snow, and the spring being ok. There's always something to do regardless of the season, and once you adapt to the cold you'll appreciate being able to wear those cute winter fashions and boots you only get to bust out once a year in Miami, if you are lucky.

If you can afford to live in Mass. comfortably, there is just no comparison. The quality of life is superior in every way.
Thanks for the description. I havent' heard anything bad about living in Boston. I'm a little concerned since I've never lived in a 'city' myself before and I'm like 51...
To say I'm freaked out and intimidated is to say the least. I love Miami, I live in Nashville (suburbs) I've lived in a ton of places over my lifetime and this is the first time I've been hesitant. I'm sure it's the whole "But I'm 51..." thing. And the fact that I felt settled and didn't see this little change coming my way.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the description. I havent' heard anything bad about living in Boston. I'm a little concerned since I've never lived in a 'city' myself before and I'm like 51...
To say I'm freaked out and intimidated is to say the least. I love Miami, I live in Nashville (suburbs) I've lived in a ton of places over my lifetime and this is the first time I've been hesitant. I'm sure it's the whole "But I'm 51..." thing. And the fact that I felt settled and didn't see this little change coming my way.
There's nothing to be freaked out about moving to BOS. It's about the most civilized city on the planet. FKostas is flat wrong about trash though. I lived there in downtown for 15 years. However, although BOS has a trash problem, it is an astonishingly beautiful city overall as you can see from the 200 photos I put on my profile page. I'm 47. I assure you Boston is very upscale. No worries. Just bring plenty of money. It's a luxury suite, not a bargain basement. And skip Canton. Live in downtown. That's where it's all at.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM

124 posts, read 333,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
There's nothing to be freaked out about moving to BOS. It's about the most civilized city on the planet. FKostas is flat wrong about trash though. I lived there in downtown for 15 years. However, although BOS has a trash problem, it is an astonishingly beautiful city overall as you can see from the 200 photos I put on my profile page. I'm 47. I assure you Boston is very upscale. No worries. Just bring plenty of money. It's a luxury suite, not a bargain basement. And skip Canton. Live in downtown. That's where it's all at.
I'm actually coming from Brentwood/Cool Springs (Nashville) Tn.
I absolutely *love* it here.

I can't do the city life. I'm just too set in my ways, totally not cool enough to live a city life after living a suburban life for 50 years.

Boston (Canton is where the job is located) is WAY better than my other choice (Framington Hills, suburb near Detroit) but I'm still undecided.

Take the city of Boston out of the picture totally. I have 2 big dogs so I would need a fenced in yard (or a home where I can put one in) and a very short drive to grocery stores, Lowe's, the mall, etc.
I had wanted to keep the price low so I could just pay cash, but it's looking more andmore like I'll have to take out a small mortgage to get a home within driving distance to all the stores and things. I'mused to being within a mile or 2 or grocery, the highway entrance, restaurants, ect. - but still have a neighborhood with sidewalks, streetlights and privacy. Boston is a completely different creature, I know. I'm learning that. I'm just wondering how it is to move there as an older adult with no support system, no family, and never having been there...

I've watched videos of Canton and it seems nice enough. Are there any other suburban areas? I absolutely cannot do rural. City seems like it would have been the best bet - 20 years ago. Not at this stage of mylife.

Any suggestions? Hopefully I'll be in Boston within the next month to check things out.

Thanks.

Last edited by movestoomuch; 01-08-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 PM

2 big dogs? Yup, scratch Boston. Two big dogs makes apt hunting way harder. If you are working in Canton and you like the burbs, then yes Canton is a good choice. You could consider Norwood, Readville, or West Roxbury. Make sure you check prices. Buying in BOS probably starts at 300K.

Another caution - I'm a little worried for you about the "support system". Bostonians are always polite (hence the "Proper Bostonian"), but definitely not warm and friendly like Southerners. It takes a long time to become assimilated. Many people who move to BOS find themselves feeling rather alone and lonely for a long time.

Boston is an awesome city, very fun, very interesting, but it is so unlike where you and what you say you like I'm not sure this is a good choice for you. You may be better off getting a different job and stay where you love. To me the ideal person to go to Boston is would have some combo of the following characteristics/interests:

student, academic, urban, history, exciting, busy, fast, challenging, crowds, traditional, tribal, controversial, liberal, expensive, anonymous, doesn't mind cold weather

Boston is ten times as crowded as Nashville. Just a factoid you might want to know.

Quote:
I'm actually coming from Brentwood/Cool Springs (Nashville) Tn.
I absolutely *love* it here.

I can't do the city life. I'm just too set in my ways, totally not cool enough to live a city life after living a suburban life for 50 years.

Boston (Canton is where the job is located) is WAY better than my other choice (Framington Hills, suburb near Detroit) but I'm still undecided.

Take the city of Boston out of the picture totally. I have 2 big dogs so I would need a fenced in yard (or a home where I can put one in) and a very short drive to grocery stores, Lowe's, the mall, etc.
I had wanted to keep the price low so I could just pay cash, but it's looking more andmore like I'll have to take out a small mortgage to get a home within driving distance to all the stores and things. I'mused to being within a mile or 2 or grocery, the highway entrance, restaurants, ect. - but still have a neighborhood with sidewalks, streetlights and privacy. Boston is a completely different creature, I know. I'm learning that. I'm just wondering how it is to move there as an older adult with no support system, no family, and never having been there...

I've watched videos of Canton and it seems nice enough. Are there any other suburban areas? I absolutely cannot do rural. City seems like it would have been the best bet - 20 years ago. Not at this stage of mylife.

Any suggestions? Hopefully I'll be in Boston within the next month to check things out.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,694 times
Default Spring, summer,fall winter weather

Umm...I've said that I think there are only 2 seasons here now: winter & spring/summer. Winter starts in the fall with cold gray weather (no leaves on the trees) and goes for 6 mo. Spring is briefly here with beautiful blooming trees and cool weather (even chilly) then dives into summer (humid, and kind of boring once everything has bloomed, and it can be hard walking around in it, with the city air). I've lived in Fl and CA (FL can be oppressive, and CA--the sun can be strong, but no humididy--and its cool at night.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:44 AM

32 posts, read 20,848 times
Be prepared for winter to last from Sept 30th until May. By winter I mean temps can still dip into the 30's-40's starting in Sept and. last well into May some years, and you can snow in Oct. Not every year though. but, the cold and gray for 9 months gets old very fast. If you like snow, you will hit the jackpot - but not in a good way. A few years ago we had 11 feet of snow. I could not walk through my yard. There was 6 ft. on our roof at one point. We had to get on it and shovel it, carefully. Then, there are these things called "ice dams" which occur when snow on everyone's poorly insulated, 1920's roof, melts, then freezes, then melts, then freezes - causing a back push of ice under your shingles, so the water runs down inside your house into the walls. Look up ice dams, and then look at the damage cost for Boston. It's expensive. This year we had storm after storm after storm - it was relentless. I used to not mind snow, as I am from the northeast, but even this is too much for me. Fall here is very nice, but I'd look for a place that has seasons but not as much snow. Also, because MA is so far east, it gets dark before 4 pm in Dec. which really impacts the whole seasonal -affective disorder for a lot of people. Just a few thing to consider that you'll have to live with.
RE: trashy - this is very true and not one of the things MA residents like to advertise. Not everyone in MA is a brain surgeon as many would like to have one believe. MA is essentially a very blue collar, working class state, yet because of a few top colleges, some intellectuals also settle here. But yeah, it's pretty trashy. Uneducated, knee jerk democrats. And loud and obnoxious. Esp. south shore, Weymouth, Canton. But that's New England. I'd say FL has it's fair share of trashy-ness.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 PM

596 posts, read 814,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajana View Post
Be prepared for winter to last from Sept 30th until May. By winter I mean temps can still dip into the 30's-40's starting in Sept and. last well into May some years, and you can snow in Oct. Not every year though. but, the cold and gray for 9 months gets old very fast. If you like snow, you will hit the jackpot - but not in a good way. A few years ago we had 11 feet of snow. I could not walk through my yard. There was 6 ft. on our roof at one point. We had to get on it and shovel it, carefully. Then, there are these things called "ice dams" which occur when snow on everyone's poorly insulated, 1920's roof, melts, then freezes, then melts, then freezes - causing a back push of ice under your shingles, so the water runs down inside your house into the walls. Look up ice dams, and then look at the damage cost for Boston. It's expensive. This year we had storm after storm after storm - it was relentless. I used to not mind snow, as I am from the northeast, but even this is too much for me. Fall here is very nice, but I'd look for a place that has seasons but not as much snow. Also, because MA is so far east, it gets dark before 4 pm in Dec. which really impacts the whole seasonal -affective disorder for a lot of people. Just a few thing to consider that you'll have to live with.
RE: trashy - this is very true and not one of the things MA residents like to advertise. Not everyone in MA is a brain surgeon as many would like to have one believe. MA is essentially a very blue collar, working class state, yet because of a few top colleges, some intellectuals also settle here. But yeah, it's pretty trashy. Uneducated, knee jerk democrats. And loud and obnoxious. Esp. south shore, Weymouth, Canton. But that's New England. I'd say FL has it's fair share of trashy-ness.
This thread is 6 years old. OP has long since decided whether or not to make this move...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston