Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 05:49 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,872,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajana View Post
Be prepared for winter to last from Sept 30th until May. By winter I mean temps can still dip into the 30's-40's starting in Sept and. last well into May some years, and you can snow in Oct. Not every year though. but, the cold and gray for 9 months gets old very fast. If you like snow, you will hit the jackpot - but not in a good way. A few years ago we had 11 feet of snow. I could not walk through my yard. There was 6 ft. on our roof at one point. We had to get on it and shovel it, carefully. Then, there are these things called "ice dams" which occur when snow on everyone's poorly insulated, 1920's roof, melts, then freezes, then melts, then freezes - causing a back push of ice under your shingles, so the water runs down inside your house into the walls. Look up ice dams, and then look at the damage cost for Boston. It's expensive. This year we had storm after storm after storm - it was relentless. I used to not mind snow, as I am from the northeast, but even this is too much for me. Fall here is very nice, but I'd look for a place that has seasons but not as much snow. Also, because MA is so far east, it gets dark before 4 pm in Dec. which really impacts the whole seasonal -affective disorder for a lot of people. Just a few thing to consider that you'll have to live with.
RE: trashy - this is very true and not one of the things MA residents like to advertise. Not everyone in MA is a brain surgeon as many would like to have one believe. MA is essentially a very blue collar, working class state, yet because of a few top colleges, some intellectuals also settle here. But yeah, it's pretty trashy. Uneducated, knee jerk democrats. And loud and obnoxious. Esp. south shore, Weymouth, Canton. But that's New England. I'd say FL has it's fair share of trashy-ness.
Good description of the weather in eastern New England, esp. the early Dec. darkness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 10:47 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
The worst part is definitely darkness in winter. It isn't pitch black before 4 PM though. More like 4:30. Which isn't great, it's actually depressing, but just saying it's most definitely not before 4.

My bday is in late September so I'm always quite aware of the weather that time of year. It's not 40 or 30 at night. I've experienced Halloweens that were sufficient with a light jacket. Some have been a bit cold. But not winter cold. September can easily get into the 80s, especially earlier on.

Personally, fall is my favorite and mid September through Thanksgiving is perfect for me. Then mid December through mid April is pretty miserable.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The worst part is definitely darkness in winter. It isn't pitch black before 4 PM though. More like 4:30. Which isn't great, it's actually depressing, but just saying it's most definitely not before 4.
There have been proposals to take MA off daylight savings, which would allow it to stay lighter later in the winter. Does anyone know if any of those proposals have gone anywhere?

Old 08-18-2018, 11:30 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Earliest sunset in winter is in Rockport at 4:09 PM. It doesn't reach the end of astronomical twilight (basically full darkness) until 5:50 PM. Interestingly enough, earliest sunset is on around Dec. 5th, even though the shortest day of the year is usually around December 21. I find the very early morning sunrises much tougher. In June, astronomical twilight ends at 2:48 AM and sunrise is at 5:04 AM. My kids don't yet sleep through sunrise, so that means I don't get to, either. I'd gladly deal with the problems of being in a different time zone if we could switch to the Atlantic time zone.

And take it from someone who grew up in Louisiana and California, it's not that cold here. The ocean helps keep things a little bit warmer in winter and cooler in summer. There also aren't 9 months of winter or grey skies. Boston has about 200 sunny days a year, average for the US. We seem to get snow in bunches, so there will be weeks of mostly clear weather and then a 12+ Nor'easter that shuts everything down.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:13 AM

17,679 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Dark before 4pm? No.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
There have been proposals to take MA off daylight savings, which would allow it to stay lighter later in the winter. Does anyone know if any of those proposals have gone anywhere?
Even if Charlie Baker signed such a thing into law (which will never happen), the federal DOT has to approve the change from Eastern to Atlantic time (will also never happen).

Old 08-19-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Even if Charlie Baker signed such a thing into law (which will never happen), the federal DOT has to approve the change from Eastern to Atlantic time (will also never happen).
That’s too bad. It’d be nice for it to stay bright for longer, but I guess we just can’t have nice things.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
That’s too bad. It’d be nice for it to stay bright for longer, but I guess we just can’t have nice things.
The proposal is stupid. We would be an hour ahead of the rest of Eastern time for 4 months a year. What would have made more sense was moving to Atlantic time with DST but that would have made too much sense.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The proposal is stupid. We would be an hour ahead of the rest of Eastern time for 4 months a year. What would have made more sense was moving to Atlantic time with DST but that would have made too much sense.
So that we’d be ahead of the east coast all year instead of just 4 months. I don’t know; I don’t think I’d be as big a problem as you’re making it out to be. Aren’t there states in the country that already do something like this?

Old 08-20-2018, 03:53 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,872,889 times
Quote:
You get just so many hours of sunlight Boston sunrise Dec.21,7:10 :sunset 4:14,9:04 hours of sunlight. Sunlight hours wont change.Sunrise will be 8:10 ,set 5;14,Just like we never left D.S.T. ,It will be black in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston