Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,942 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking into moving to Boston for school from Georgia. I will be attending Emerson College so we would need to be located where the commute would be reasonable. We would not mind living within an hour as we commute about that far now.
Where are the safest places to live with a budget around $1000 a month?
No kids, so school districts don't matter.
We do have a dog and would like to live somewhere fairly family oriented.

What are some smaller colleges around that are nice? My boyfriend has not yet decided on where he wants to go.

Safety is our main priority, so really anything goes as long as we can stay pretty much in budget.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times
For 1k a month you're going to be stretched pretty thin anywhere in the entire area, but if you don't mind a commute, I'd recommend Melrose in the northern suburbs, or Newton, which is a bit further west. Both of those areas are extremely safe and good for young couples like yourselves. Melrose especially would fit right into your desire to be in a "family-oriented area" and they'll probably be more lenient with the dog thing since it's kind of suburban.

Alternatively, if you want to me more "in-town", you could check out Allston. A lot of students live there and it's very "bohemian" in its atmosphere. It's pretty safe, although it doesn't look it, because most of the residents are in the same situation as you: students looking for low-cost places to live. On the other hand, it's not very "family oriented" and I'm not sure you'd have much luck with the dog either.

As for a small school for your bf, check out Fisher College. It's right next door to Emerson on Beacon St. Would be very convenient for the pair of you. I went to Fisher and it was a pretty good experience. I actually managed to get into Emerson but they wanted way too much money and didn't have any campus housing available

One final question, do you have a car?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Thank you for your help!! Melrose sounds right up our alley and Fisher college seems perfect! We want to live a little outside of the city so it would be a little more like home. As far as Boston goes and the streets where each college is located, is it safe to walk around at night and things like that?

We each have a car. Would it be better to bring just one?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Also, could anyone tell me anything about living in Salem, Bridgewater, Framingham, or any cities between these and Boston as far as cost and safety goes? We are looking into the state universities in these places as well.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Melrose is a great town but might be tight on a 1k budget. If you find yourself priced out of Melrose, try Wakefield. It's just one town north of Melrose, has a nice downtown area, safe/family oriented, on the commuter rail line, and is probably a little cheaper than Melrose rent wise.

Between Salem, Framingham and Bridgewater, I'd absolutely choose Salem. It's a great little city, safe and also on the commuter rail line. Only con is you may not find it as family oriented as Melrose or Wakefield, as there is a larger population of younger singles.

Try to bring only 1 car if you can. For 1k, you'll be lucky to find an apartment with 1 parking space let alone 2. And a lot of cities have odd rules about street parking.

The area around Emerson and Fisher is plenty safe. Day or night. Only advise I'd give is don't walk through the common alone at night. Aside from that, I wouldn't worry.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 PM

348 posts, read 849,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda416 View Post
Also, could anyone tell me anything about living in Salem, Bridgewater, Framingham, or any cities between these and Boston as far as cost and safety goes? We are looking into the state universities in these places as well.

Thanks!
I was going to suggest Salem and Framingham for you to look at. The Boston metro area is expensive, so, even a one bedroom for under a grand will be pushing it for many towns. Salem is further north, and in my opinion (used to work there) is a pain of a commute. But, it's a great historic town and is on the water. Framingham is not historic but is on the commuter rail (as is Salem), is also right off the Mass Pike, and has tons of shopping and other retail places. To stretch your budget further you might want to look at Marlborough, which is a little further west, but tends to have slightly cheaper rents, accordingly.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda416 View Post
Thank you for your help!! Melrose sounds right up our alley and Fisher college seems perfect! We want to live a little outside of the city so it would be a little more like home. As far as Boston goes and the streets where each college is located, is it safe to walk around at night and things like that?

We each have a car. Would it be better to bring just one?
I'm not sure about the car thing to tell you the truth because I have never had one in Boston. I was just asking because if you really wanted to get out of the city and be in a really rural area you could consider southern New Hampshire. It's still within your 1 hour commute time and would be perfectly safe and easily in your price range, possibly with even a bit to spare. I can tell you though that if you live anyplace in the Boston area that doesn't come with parking then it can get pretty expensive. I know that Fisher doesn't have any parking and you'll have to feed the meters which I imagine might be kind of pricy...not sure about Emerson, but I would imagine they don't have any either. Also, your insurance would be much cheaper in New Hampshire as well.

As far as safety around the schools go, you'll be fine around Fisher and the Emerson campus that's on Beacon St. The other Emerson campus is across the park downtown and is pretty much fine, but if you go a few streets down towards the theaters things get a bit more sketchy, but there's not really any real danger unless you go off into a dark alley by yourself or something, which I don't think you'd have any reason to do, so safety really isn't much of an issue. To tell you the truth, Boston is one of the safest cities in the world...if you're coming from Georgia and used to Atlanta then I can understand why you might be concerned about urban safety, but you really don't have anything much to worry about. All the areas you'll want to avoid (Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, various other places), you'll probably never have any reason to visit in the first place. We're very good at hiding our problem areas form students and tourists

Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM

157 posts, read 570,466 times
Safety for any of the schools you mentioned will NOT be an issue. The only SLIGHT exception might be some of the schools around the Fenway by night. They are safe, but they do still have some of the Mission Hill seedy carrry over even thought hings are DRASTICALLY different around there than tehy were even 10 years ago.

As for a car, consider this: To park near any of the schools you mentioned, it is going to cost a minimum 20$ a day, or 2 to 300$ a month if you buy a daily pass. It sounds like this will be a problem for you. Further, if you live in a place like Melrose, you will be relegated to taking the commuter rail rather than the subway, which is 4x the cost of the subway.

Even in these outlying suburbs like Salem and Framingham, 1k seems extreemly optimistic to me, and the cost savings in rent may not offset your commuting costs. Take a look at the MBTA coverage map, and see what makes geograpic sense. A monthly subway/bus pass is 60 bucks and while the T is not exactly alwasy on time, it is still a great deal considering the cost of gasoline and parking in the area.

If I were you, I'd consider Quincy Center. You could probably find a 1 or maybe even 2 bedroom for the 1100 to 1400 range that would have easy street parking, be walking distance to the Red Line Subway, and you'd still have an semi-urban environment with other nice features like the ocean and convenience to I-93.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Thank you so much for all the information! I will be checking out all of these cities as far as living goes and very happy to hear about how safe it is in the city. It sounds much different than Atlanta which is a very good thing!

I'm still not too sure about the car thing. At first, I never really put that into much consideration. It kind of seems like a lose/lose because of the cost of parking. So I will continue doing so research about that. We plan to visit when the time gets a bit closer.

Again, thanks for all of the info!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 PM

504 posts, read 615,733 times
A 1k budget will make housing hard to findwithin your commute time area. Iwould suggest only keep one car and just use it for when you go grocery shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston