Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 60,799 times

Advertisements

I've lived all of my 48 years in Southern California and will finally achieve my longtime dream of visiting your fair city and attending a game - actually two, Saturday and Sunday vs the Rangers- at Fenway Park this Labor Day weekend. I've never been to the East Coast and would like some help with my objectives for this trip.

I have tickets to both games so the subject now turns to food and drink. My budget forces me to sleep at the Logan Embassy Suites, so my dining environments are the airport area and Fenway. Where can I find the following:

1. Real East Coast pizza. This is a subject of legendary if not mythical proportions to those of us who've never eaten pizza east of Denver. I'm traveling alone so my preference is pizza by the slice.

2. Lobster roll. It has to be real, fresh and heaped with lots of really fresh lobster meat. Did I mention that is should be real lobster that has never been frozen or processed with anything other than a sharp knife and boiling water?

3. A good drug store such as Rite Aid where I can pick up some Scotch or Irish whiskey at a reasonable price. And no, I'm not renting a car and will not be driving drunk in your city.

5. And, will I be able get my flask into Fenway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 03:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy617 View Post
I've lived all of my 48 years in Southern California and will finally achieve my longtime dream of visiting your fair city and attending a game - actually two, Saturday and Sunday vs the Rangers- at Fenway Park this Labor Day weekend. I've never been to the East Coast and would like some help with my objectives for this trip.

I have tickets to both games so the subject now turns to food and drink. My budget forces me to sleep at the Logan Embassy Suites, so my dining environments are the airport area and Fenway. Where can I find the following:

1. Real East Coast pizza. This is a subject of legendary if not mythical proportions to those of us who've never eaten pizza east of Denver. I'm traveling alone so my preference is pizza by the slice.

2. Lobster roll. It has to be real, fresh and heaped with lots of really fresh lobster meat. Did I mention that is should be real lobster that has never been frozen or processed with anything other than a sharp knife and boiling water?

3. A good drug store such as Rite Aid where I can pick up some Scotch or Irish whiskey at a reasonable price. And no, I'm not renting a car and will not be driving drunk in your city.

1. Not hard to find
2. Not Frozen??? This ain't SoCal, we wouldn't dare!
3. Won't be buying booze at a drug store in this state!
5. Good luck with that one!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 PM

Thank you for the help.

Recommendations anyone?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy617 View Post

Welcome, sounds like a fun trip. Labor Day Weekend is generally beautiful weather-wise.

Before I try to address the questions here, I'd suggest using a a hotel website like Priceline (the name your own price section) or hotwire to get a more centrally located hotel room. If your current reservation is refundable, hold on to it until the last minute (like within a week of arrival) and then try priceline or hotwire as their rates drop as the trip approaches. You should be able to get a 3+ Star hotel in a downtown neighborhood for around $100/night (possibly less). It's, IMHO the best way to do big cities on a budget. I just cringe at first-time visitors staying at airport hotels or in the suburbs. It's not a great first impression. There's plenty of information available on by searching google for how to bid on hotels on priceline. Hotwire's a little more straightforward. Any hotel in the Fenway, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Financial District, Theatre District, North End, or Faneuil Hall areas will be safe and centrally located.

1) Pizzeria Regina (the original, not those stands in mall food courts) is a good place to grab some pizza. It's in the North End which worth seeing on it's own and is only 2 quick subway stops on the Blue Line (get off at Aquarium) and a 10 minute walk from the station. On Salem Street (also North End), I kind of like Pushcart Pizza. Floppy, sort of greasy, and cheap. It's not award winning, but it's a guilty pleasure.

2) I can't really help you here. Lobster Rolls aren't my thing. I hear good things about James Hook on Atlantic Ave (short walk from the Aquarium stop on the blue line). I know it would be fresh. I would say check out the Union Oyster House near the Haymarket T Station (near Faneuil Hall) which is a little touristy, but a great experience. Sit at the bar and try whatever they're currently shucking (I prefer cherrystones to oysters, but like Lobster Rolls, I'm in the minority). Also, I know they have Sam Adams Brick Red on tap. My favorite Sam Adams beer and only available in Boston.

3) There's a liquor store just off of the Maverick Stop on the blue line which is within walking distance to your hotel. I'm not sure of the name of it. The concierge should have some suggestions. You may even be able to get the hotel shuttle to take you there for free (they generally go to nearby subway stops, anyway). In MA, most grocery stores and pharmacies don't carry liquor (lame, I know).

4) Well you're technically not supposed to. However, you probably shouldn't have a problem. Stick it in your back pocket where it won't stick out much and I can't imagine you having any trouble. I've taken a few in myself (even nips "hidden" in shoes).

Where are your seats if you don't mind me asking? Fenway is one hell of an experience, but it's OLD. I'm there quite a bit myself and I avoid the Grandstand seats like the plague. Infield grandstands are manageable due to the proximity to the field, but the outfield grandstands (especially sections 2-6) are awful. The seats are old, wooden and the designers certainly didn't study ergonomics. What's more, is that there are giant support beams often skewing sight lines in the grandstands. The good news is that you can trade with scalpers in Kenmore square (another "you're not supposed to but it's really fine"). In fact, if you "downgrade" to bleachers in Center Field or Right Field Roof Deck (only a "downgrade" if you have infield Grandstands); you'll get more comfortable seats (and an interesting crowd). If you can, upgrade to Loge Boxes, or Field Boxes. Much better location, much more comfortable seats. Just a suggestion. 2 days in a row of Grandstands is brutal.

Enjoy!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Thank you so much for the tips.

I'm going alone so single seats were easy to get at face value on redsox.com. For Saturday I'm sitting under the screen, first row isle seat just above the walkway in section B133, $99. For Sunday I wanted to sit close to the monster so I'm in the first row of section B163, $95. That's quite a bit to spend on a couple of baseball games, but it's a small price to pay for good seats on a once in a lifetime trip.

The hotel is not such a concern as I won't be there much. I'm landing at 9am on Saturday and will check in to my room and catch a couple hours sleep before heading over to the Fenway area to have lunch before the game.

On Sunday I'll either sleep late then go to the game or get an early start and try to take the Fenway tour. I'm really only interested in taking the tour if I can get on the field or into the dugout. I've read various accounts saying sometimes you can walk the warning track to the monster and touch the scoreboard, and sometimes you get to sit in the dugout.

My return flight leaves at 6am Monday so the close proximity to the airport works good for me on arrival and departure. It really is a baseball and food only trip (pilgrimage really) with a little drinking thrown in cause I'm Irish and that's what we do.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
You're welcome!

In that case, you'll be find where you are. The Embassy Suites are actually better located than most airport hotels (many are up in Revere). You can walk to two T stations fairly easily. To get to Fenway it's very straightforward (Blue Line to Park Street, Green Line- any train but the E- to Kenmore and you're there).

Those seats are very good (especially 133... right behind home plate). Price isn't bad either... Face Value. The only issue with those seats is that you may find the the people walking in front of you to be a bit of a bother in the front row. This should be less of an issue in 163 because you're at the end of the walkway. Still, you're doing Fenway the right way. The Rangers series should be good too.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 PM

157 posts, read 570,634 times
Regina's for pizza is a cool spot to check out (it looks the part), but I think the pizza at Ernesto's on Salem St is superior, ASSUMING IT"S FRESH! you have to go at lunch/dinner time other wise they will reheat you a slice rather than serve you up a fresh one.

If you want some serious pizza, check out Galeria Umberto on Saturday around lunch time. This is the place, it's 100% authentic, they only serve lunch, the are open at 11, and they stay open until the pizza is gone, not when the clock strikes a certain time. The line is usually out the door; it's a delicious and kitschy experience.

Nice work ont eh seats, face value is basically unheard of, one of the big benefits of going to the game solo.

You should be able to get a flask into the ball park, but you will be patted down so it's not a sure thing. They basically will pat y our pockets and if suspicious make you take it out. Check out the different gates to the ball park, some are pretty strict on the pat downs, others are not so maybe scout it out before making your move.

Beer/Wine/Liquour in Mass is only sold in liquor stores, not drug stores/grocery stores etc. If you can't find one, just ask a bum or college kid they can point you in the right direction to one.

For a lobster roll, you won't have to worry about freshness, pretty much anywhere, but some places will obviously be better. If you want value, check out J.Hook right on the water, it's not a restaurant really but for 12 bucks, it's pretty good and you won't get fresher. If you want to step it up a bit, Neptune Oyster on Salem St in teh north end (near my Ernesto's recommendation) is supposed to be the best in town, but I wll say I have not had one from there myself.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 PM

157 posts, read 570,634 times
Oh, and somebody told you to take the Blue Line to park street... You can't, the line doesn't go there, but it does stop at Government Center which is one stop before there, not a big deal though you can change trains from there to grab a B, C, or D green line car to Kenmore Square (fenway park). To get to the North end from the hotel, you'd get off at the Acquarium T Stop.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 AM

I'm reading good things about Santarpio's Pizza, which is a stone's throw from my hotel. According to their website they are the Boston favorite for that Food Network munchkin, Rachel Ray.

Thanks for the subway instructions. Are your subways freak magnets like the system in New York? Would I be better off taking a cab?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Thousands and thousands of people use the T to get around as their primary means of transportation every single day. You'll be fine. Slugging on a flask might brand you as the freak, though!

Best lobster roll? Neptune Oyster in the North End. Love that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston