Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,410,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Worchester?? wheres that?
Next to Dorcester

Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 PM

188 posts, read 496,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
actually about half didn't
Joey McIntyre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Needham

Jordan Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Worchester

Jonathan Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Worchester

To be fair the manager that started them managed New Edition that pretty much did come from the area so it was assumed they all came from the same area.

Ooops sorry the media keeps saying they grew up in dorchester. I just saw them in concert with the backstreet boys. dont laugh..brought back memories

Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 AM

9 posts, read 60,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife11 View Post
Truth is i grew up in baltimore, and none of those neighborhoods are more dangerous than bmore. trust me. Its funny i heard the same thing stay away from the big 3 (roxbury, dorchester and mattapan) and if your are white definitely stay away....but didnt new kids on the block grow up in dorchester???? they r white. And til this day ive seen jordan and the guys mention dorchester being dangerous. So i think its a little exaggerated somewhat, people still move to these areas
That's what I'm saying. Baltimore is way worse than any of these places. Even someone who grew up in these areas would say it's not that bad. The only people who say these areas are bad are not from them.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 AM

9 posts, read 60,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Interesting link. I grew up in West Roxbury and it apparently has very little crime...

As for the OP regarding Roxbury, Dot, and Mattapan, the reason people are concerned is that they watch the news at night and the majority of the reports of crime in the Boston area are from those three neighborhoods...
Most of the people who are afraid have never been to these neighborhoods. That's how these ridiculous stories get made up.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 AM

188 posts, read 496,438 times
If they are afraid of boston areas..then they should never ever go to baltimore. Drug dealers on the corner..crackheads running in the street..random dude trying to wash ur car window for money..people getting stabbed or mugged at the inner harbor. I feel safe walking in boston at night...I would never and i mean ever walk alone in baltimore at night. Even the nice neighborhoods in bmore are become ghetto...gunshots at night..that was an everyday thing growing up. So to me boston is heaven

Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 AM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,091,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill Avenue View Post
That's what I'm saying. Baltimore is way worse than any of these places. Even someone who grew up in these areas would say it's not that bad. The only people who say these areas are bad are not from them.
It's all relative. In cities like New York City, Baltimore and Detroit. their definitions of "dangerous" will be different from ours. Every US major city is unique. And by Boston area standards, Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan are indeed considered more dangerous to live in than the other surrounding residential areas of the city. If there is a choice between living in Arlington or Mattapan, hands down, Arlington would be the winner in terms of desirability and quality of life.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill Avenue View Post
Most of the people who are afraid have never been to these neighborhoods. That's how these ridiculous stories get made up.
First of all, I am not afraid of these neighborhoods. I have been in and driven through those areas. I also have had co-workers who live there. And this is a matter of my not wanting to ever live there, nor do I ever want to want to patronize the bars, clubs or restaurants there. And if I have out of town friends visiting, I certainly am not going to take them there. And I am entitled to my personal preferences.

And I know Baltimore fairly well. I used to take annual business trips to the Baltimore and DC areas. I driven through their bad neighborhoods in order to get to where I needed to be. And yes, the Boston area is much safer than down there. But this is not a competition.

BTW there are several online interactive crime maps of Baltimore. And the majority of Baltimore crime is by blacks and committed against each other.

Baltimore, MD Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Baltimore - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM

14,466 posts, read 11,245,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
It doesn't huh? Yes crime happens everywhere. Check some of Boston's surrounding towns, and watch what happens on that map. The crime that happens in 1 week in those 3 neighborhoods, doesn't happen in a year in the burbs! That DOES make it a bad community.
You need to search the surrounding communities specifically. Crimes in Newton are not going to show up on the Boston crime map.

Here's Newton's:

Newton, MA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Newton - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Additionally it appears that some communities simply do not report their crime to the website.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 PM
miu

Robberies do happen in Newton, but murders, rapes and assaults not so much... there's all kinds of crime. And it's true, crimes happen everywhere. In places like Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan, it's crimes committed by locals against other locals. In safer areas like Newton, it's more outsiders coming in and stealing from Newton residents because of our reputation for having money and possessions.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM

13,987 posts, read 14,920,859 times
Why do people overreact about Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan ?
because they value their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston