Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times

Advertisements

A suggestion to those who run and administer the CITY-DATA FORUM, regarding the MASSACHUSETTS Forum:

Why not have this Massachusetts forum offer more SUB-THREAD CATEGORIES within which posters can start threads or submit postings more particular to their particular locale or region of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts? Surely, ALL that is Massachusetts is not encompassed by simply listing "Boston" (that all cities, towns, communities, hamlets, counties, and regions of Massachusetts can fall under the umbrella term of "Boston" or even the "Boston Metro Area"). Just as "New York" doesn't offer only "Buffalo" or "New York City" to represent the entire state or "California" doesn't just offer "Los Angeles" to represent the entire state.

A sample of a breakdown of categories that can represent Massachusetts-at-large (which I concocted over the course of 15-20 minutes though Internet research):

Boston (T-reachable Cities & Towns and Non-T-Reachable Inner Ring Suburbs): e.g., Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville, Malden, Melrose, Revere, Chelsea, Everett, Winthrop, Lynn, Saugus, Winchester, Arlington, Belmont, Watertown, Waltham, Lexington, Concord, Newton, Needham, Dedham, Milton, Quincy, Braintree

Southeastern Massachusetts / South Shore /South of Boston: e.g., Weymouth – East Weymouth – South Weymouth, Hingham, Cohasset, Scituate, Norwell, Marshfield, Rockland, Abington, Pembroke, Duxbury – South Duxbury, Kingston, Plymouth, Hanover, Hanson, Bridgewater – East Bridgewater – West Bridgewater, Rockland, Randolph, Brockton, Plympton, Carver, Middleborough, Westwood, Medfield, Medway, Norwood, Walpole, Sharon, Stoughton, Whitman, Mansfield – Mansfield Center, Norton, Attleboro, Taunton, Raynham – Raynham Center, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Dighton, Somerset, Freetown, Swansea, Fall River, New Bedford, Mattapoisett, Dartmouth, Westport

Northeastern Mass / North Shore / North of Boston: e.g., Newburyport, Newbury, Ipswich, Rockport, Gloucester, Manchester –By-The-Sea, Hamilton-Wenham, Danvers, Beverly, Lynnfield, Peabody, Wakefield, Reading, North Reading, Salem, Marblehead, Swampscott, Lynn, Saugus, Woburn, Burlington, Wilmington, Billerica, Methuen - Lower Methuen, Tewksbury, Lawrence, Chelmsford, Andover, North Andover, Lowell, Dracut, Tyngsborough, Bedford, Hopkinton, Ashland, Holliston

Cape Cod: all the communities and sections which make up Cape Cod

MetroWest Boston / West of Boston: e.g., Natick, Framingham, Wellesley, Sherborn, Ashland, Southborough, Weston, Wayland, Sudbury, Maynard, Hudson, Lincoln, Boxborough, Stow, Marlborough

Worcester / Blackstone Valley: e.g., Worcester, Shrewsbury, Northborough, West Boylston, Holden, Rutland, Paxtn, Leicester, Spencer, Grafton, Millbury, Auburn, Oxford, Charlton, Webster, Dudley, Charlton, Southbridge

Western Massachusetts / Pioneer Valley / Connecticut Valley: e.g., Palmer, Wilbraham, Hampden, Bernardston, Greenfield, Deerfield – South Deerfield, Amherst – North Amherst – South Amherst, Hadley – South Hadley, Northampton, Easthampton, Westhampton, Southampton, Holyoke, Granby, Chicopee, Springfield – West Springfield, East Longmeadow, North Longmeadow, Agawam, Westfield

The Berkshires (Far Western Massachusetts): e.g., Southwick, Stockbridge, Lenox, Great Barrington, Pittsfield, Lanesborough, Cheshire, Williamstown, New Marlborough, Sheffield, Mt. Washington

Perhaps you can implement just the boldfaced titles above as hyperlinks for "Massachusetts" (which, to my mind, encompass all of Massachusetts' regions) and each poster can figure out for himself or herself which of the 8 offered categories their posting fits into.

Last edited by UsAll; 08-02-2011 at 01:31 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
I said this a long time ago, nothing was ever done..... Almost every other state has sub catagories. I am from Northampton and I am moving back up from FL, I have to sift through the hundreds of other posts, mostly eastern MA.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
There's a Massachusetts forum and a Boston subforum. The number of threads posted for Massachusetts outside of the metro Boston area is low. Making 8 subforums would make it a little less manageable, and most of those subforums would be quiet for a LONG time as the majority of inquiries are about Boston and the metro area. I think it's fine as-is.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
I agree with lrfox. If you want some other sub-forums, work to get more activity in the Massachusetts forum. Get enough to justify a Cape Forum and a SE Coastal forum, etc., and maybe it will happen. As for right now, the traffic just isn't there.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I think at LEAST a WMass, a Central Mass and an EMass. Then the Boston category too. One reason why you may not hear from too many people outside of Boston is that there's no place for them to post and the whole thing seems to be monopolized by Boston.

Or how about a Boston and a NOT Boston. lol. The Rest of the State.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM

That's an excellent list, btw. Good idea too. One thing, not that it matters here, but there is no such thing as North Longmeadow. It's just plain old Longmeadow.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Or how about a Boston and a NOT Boston. lol. The Rest of the State.
That's exactly the way it's set up now.

When there are enough inquiries about areas like the Cape, Central and Western parts of the state, we can add those - but as of right now, there is not.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That's exactly the way it's set up now.

When there are enough inquiries about areas like the Cape, Central and Western parts of the state, we can add those - but as of right now, there is not.
It's Boston and then Massachusetts in general which includes Boston, nothing separate for the rest of the state in particular and not including Boston. It's mostly for Boston.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably not so bad the way it is, it could be better but I don't know how except Massachusetts, Boston, the rest of the state (not including Boston.)

Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
It may not be officially stated, but I've always taken for granted the idea that the "Massachusetts" forum is everything about Massachusetts not covered by a child forum (in this case, Boston being the child forum). Do you not see it this way? I don't really see any Boston subjects on the first page, and I assume our mods would move such topics anyway.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
I guess I don't find this to be a problem. I don't think the Cape needs it's own subforum. I don't really go on the Boston forum since I don't know much about it anymore. There are times I think a thread SHOULD be moved to the Boston subforum, but I'm not the one making those decisions and I think the Admin here does an excellent job.
Plus, I enjoy reading threads about areas like the Berkshires, etc., of which I have no knowledge. Very interesting and edu-ma-cational.
If it was split up, I probably wouldn't frequent the other "subs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston