Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM

232 posts, read 496,109 times

Advertisements

I am doing research on why commuter rail service in the Northeast and Chicagoland is more heavily used than those in Western Cities such as Los Angeles despite the horrific traffic there. So what are your reasons for taking the train instead of driving or the bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Traffic, but particularly ease cost of parking. It's a quick and easy 20 minutes on the train and I can read instead of hitting the brake pedal every 10 seconds. Traffic on the streets of downtown Boston also is not fun at rush hour.

My personal opinion is that the difference in ridership rates across regions is cultural. My dad took the train to work, as did his dad. People in large northeastern metro areas or Chicago have been riding the train to work for 100 years. It's normal here. To people in LA and most other western cities taking anything other than a car to work is outside their realm of experience. All sorts of connotations people here would think insane (only poor people take the train/bus, etc.). In some places it's changing, but I recall the movie "Singles" from about 1992. The guy was proposing a light rail in Seattle, and his boss kept saying "we're westerners--we drive our cars." Now they have the light rail in Seattle, Denver, etc., but it's still not as culturally ingrained.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
It's usually a more predictable commute, and much less stressful if I have to go to Boston during rush hour. I'd rather read the paper than stress out about traffic and why the heck Massachusetts can't seem to get rid of the darn tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston