U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 PM

6 posts, read 19,918 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm considering moving to Boston next year to attend esthetician's school. I have an opportunity to stay with my sister in Allston, for free, and the school I'm looking at is located at: 222 Boston Avenue Medford, MA 02155. I won't have a car because it will be too much of a hastle. So far the quickest route I've found is taking two buses, all together about two hours round trip. Does anyone have any other commuting suggestions? I'm willing to suffer a bit since it's only a five month program and I do have a free place to stay. Is it safe to take the bus in Boston? How much does a pass cost? Any advice would be helpful. I'm moving from Montana so living in a city is all new territory for me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,774,167 times
The bus is safe and the monthly pass, which is good for the subway, too is pretty cheap, at $59. About the only alternative option I might suggest is biking, if that's something you do. It would be faster than the bus.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM

I don't plan on riding a bike. That just seems like too much work, especially in the winter which will be the time I'm in school. Is the bus pretty reliable, or do I need to give extra time so I'm not late?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 AM

7,227 posts, read 6,640,465 times
The bus is generally reliable...until it's not. Getting stuck in traffic, breaking down-anything that can hamper a car can do the same to a bus. If you have a smartphone, there are several apps that tell you when a bus is arriving in real time. These are invaluable.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Reliability also varies quite a bit by route. The buses that I use are quite reliable, but I'm not familiar with the ones that you'd be riding Emily. I hear lots of complaints about buses in Cambridge, Sommerville, and Medford, so they may indeed be less reliable. You'll need to plan extra time at first, just to get a sense of how they run. After that, you may find that the hour is pretty accurate.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 AM

7,227 posts, read 6,640,465 times
I take the bus in Cambridge (and have in Somerville) and don't find them to be, on the whole, any more or less reliable than those within Boston city limits, though there may be some with more limited schedules, especially on weekends (I'm assuming her sister lives near a Green Line stop so that may be less of an issue). It depends more on the route and traffic patterns.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM

I do have a smartphone, are there any apps you suggest for bus schedules? Thanks for all the input!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM

I recommend using NexuS. It provides real time data on bus locations. There is a list of this and other apps on the MBTA website. Nexus has really improved the usability of the bus system for me, because it tells you when you can actually expect the bus to arrive. Here's the link to the apps listing:

MBTA.com > Online Trip Planning Tools

Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks so much for the info! This has all been very helpful and made me feel better about taking the bus

Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM

For some reason, my spellcheck changed the word I wanted to NexuS, but what I meant to write above was NextBus, which is actually a web feed. You can either use the website directly, or alternatively, most of the apps listed on the MBTA page draw their data from it. Either way, it is very accurate, often within a minute of when they say the bus will arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston