Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM

40 posts, read 108,046 times

Advertisements

I work very close to Dewey Sq and I think its all a bit of a joke really. To me it is a bunch of smelly hippies and professional protests with nothing better to do but protest. I tried looking online for their demands, but there appears to be none. So this protest isnt going anywhere fast, the powers that be are completelely unaffected by the protest so they are not going to give into their demands, even if they had any. The protesters have nothing better to do than camp out downtown and fight the power so they are going to be around for awhile.

Can somebody explain to me how the guy in hot pants with the hula hoop dancing across the road from the Federal Reserve is going to change the World?

I support people's right to protest, but I don't support protesting for the sake of protesting.

The theme of the protests appears to me as: "I don't like what you're doing, but I can't think of any reasonable, workable alternatives, so I'm just going to protest in the hope that you come up with a better idea".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
I've seen veterans, nurses, teachers, and other union members down there, along with the fringe elements that accompany any sort of organization.

Protesting is rarely about getting someone to give in to "demands". I participated in the big anti-war march in NYC back in 2003. I don't think anyone there thought the march would "make" Bush pull out the troops. It's about people getting together to express frustration, show numbers, make enough of a scene to get the message out. Given the way the "Occupy..." movement has spread globally, I'd say they are working on that front.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM

420 posts, read 1,368,712 times
i just hope the succeed in getting rid of lackey
Toucher & Rich: Adolfo & Rich At Occupy Boston « CBS Boston

Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It has more to do with the Democratic Party than it does with liberalism. The people of Massachusetts simply think the word Republican is a dirty word.

That may have been true when the Kennedys were a force but remember Uncle Ted's seat got given to Scott Brown, Republican!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM

132 posts, read 495,846 times
When I moved to Boston, I thought I would be surrounded by liberals and hippies. I've yet to meet a single liberal or hippie here, unless you count the homeless. There were more in NYC! This place is shockingly conservative...

Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
When I moved to Boston, I thought I would be surrounded by liberals and hippies. I've yet to meet a single liberal or hippie here, unless you count the homeless. There were more in NYC! This place is shockingly conservative...
I wouldnt say that... I'd just say people here arent really activists, but the conservative tend to be louder about their point of view.

One of the big reasons boston is left leaning (outside of being an urban area) is due to all of the college students. People in their late teens to mid 20's tend to lean left when it comes to social issues, and many, due to age have less money, so economically they lean left aswell.

There arent many hippies... although, depending what school you're near, there may be alot of art students... sometimes they're worse

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,426 times
I wonder what they are going to do when it starts snowing...

Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I wonder what they are going to do when it starts snowing...
It would be better if they had a show - here's a clip from Occupy Miami ---

Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
It would be better if they had a show - here's a clip from Occupy Miami ---

Gloria Estefan - Conga - YouTube

Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Protests generally don't work. They don't end wars or tend to change economy policy.

During the civil rights marches there were boycotts against Greyhound buses. There's no boycott organized here. In the 80's there were boycotts against south africa with the song "I ain't gonna play at sun city". These people are not on strike..

To argue that they represent 99% of people well 99% of people in this country cannot afford to camp outside for two months and get away from work, family, friends and responsibilities. They do not have that luxury.

It's nice to vent but wouldn't a message board or a youtube video be more appropriate in the 21st century? That park area was supposed to be open to the public..not a special interest group.

Some of the problems I see with their gripes is that they frankly didn't plan things in life. If someone has significant student debt how exactly is that not known up front? The median student debt for a four year public degree is about 23,000. Which divided by 4 years at 52 weeks a year about $110 a week. Many schools allow payment plans so it is not like everything has to be paid up front. If we want tuition to go down then simply end government loans. When you subsidize demand prices go up. If the money went to states as block grants to expand their university systems we'd see prices drop significantly.

Last fall I went to the Museum of Science (that new wing opened) I overheard an older couple talking about high school hockey...then they mentioned a mechanic they knew that hasn't had work in three years.

Well how can that be? Well check engine lights come on and instead of being able to go to a independent shop you have to go to a dealership. The government could be asked to tell companies to release the codes but that has to be voted on. Protesting won't make them release them.

I went by occupy boston last wensday..it looked more like a flea market. Then someone with a mic rambled on about assembly's voting for various things. I'm sorry but parliamentary procedure isn't going to get you jobs. Some actually have traveled cross country to go to these events and that implies they have funding. The 3/50 project could easily use that funding to expand jobs. Heck if any that are in these groups are on unemployment then they aren't really looking for work to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston