Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM

24 posts, read 86,864 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4. Kids are (almost) 6 and (almost) 3. We currently live in Northern Virginia. My husband has accepted a job in Boston and we will be moving.....soon, I suppose. I stay home with our children. We have a budget of $800,000 and our priority is schools and community. From what I know Newton is the place to live however, I can see that Newton is very large and I have no idea which part of Newton is more desirable for our situation. My oldest is now in a Montessori but we would like her to be in a public school once she reaches grade 1 (next year). Our youngest will probably follow the same path; Montessori until he reaches grade 1.

Any help in terms of mapping out Newton would be so appreciated. Also, I am not totally sold on Newton and would love to hear other opinions for other areas.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM

244 posts, read 572,802 times
Hi,
We are relocating from MD to MA next spring for my husband's job and Newton was first on my list of places to live. Online it looks like a great town and has a lot of fun activities. I don't think we can afford the 4 bedroom house that I would like in that area so we're looking out towards Hopkinton, Franklin, Burlington to the north and as far west at Westborough. I noticed on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community there are numerous Montessori schools and many very good public schools, though you have to cross reference the house you find on realtor.com or whatever to the school it feeds into. I found that Search Homes for Sale & Find Real Estate Agents Who Put You First | Redfin shows you everything you need on one page (when searching for a home).

Coming from NOVA you may want more of a city feel so I would think Natick, Newton, Walpole may be your style. Or, you could look on the shore near Swampscott? I have heard good things about that area.

Best of luck! Depending on the salary for us, Newton *may* be a possibility!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
Hi Brooke, There are several other lovely suburbs in the area that offer an easy commute to Newton that would be in your price range. Will your husband plan to take the train to work or drive? If he's taking the train it would be helpful to know if he'll be going to North Station or South because that would influence suggestions of other communities. I can say that many of my clients who consider Newton also look at Wellesley, which I personally think is prettier but also has similar attributes - a vibrant town center, very well rated schools, lots of great parks, nice boutiques & restaurants, easy train & highway access to Boston & a terrific library.

Here are a few links that might be helpful:
Wellesley Montessori School
The Best Public Schools in Boston 2011: In the Classroom
The Official Site of Town of Wellesley, MA
Wellesley - Town Of
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Wellesley, MA snapshot
MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System

Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM

234 posts, read 628,729 times
Where will your husband be working?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Newton is a fine community but your $800K would go further in some other towns which may better suit your needs.

Where in Boston is your husband working? That matters because different commutes are better from different locations.

How long a commute is your husband willing to deal with? Most people who work in Boston commute at least 50 minutes each way.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:07 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Definitely check out Winchester

we are probably one of the best school systems in the state if not the country, and we have lots of youth activities from music department to art department to sports programs. You name it we have it. It is a beautiful area, close to boston, with a nice quaint downtown. And a big hiking area Middlesex Fells right in our backyard. We are a 20 min train ride into North Station downtown Boston and 20 min without traffic by car. We have lots of family events too like the tree lighting in december where Santa Rides around the common on a fire truck and the town sings x-mas carols, Summer concerts on the town common, summer movie nights on the common, a town wide festival (Town Day) in June, and Enka Fair carnival in May. We also have a haunted house in October.

Check it out @ Winchester, Massachusetts Home Page

Winchester Public Schools

over 97% of the students in Winchester graduate H.S. and end up in college.

We have some of the best Mcas scores in the state

with your budget you should have no problem getting a house in Winchester, and could probably negotiate a deal in todays economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston