Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,401 times

Advertisements

I'm a mid 20s unmarried guy and there's a good chance I might soon get a job in Lexington. Where would be a good, relatively affordable, location to rent (2br for under 2k if possible or largish 1br for less) that would still have a lot to do for someone in my age group?

I don't mind a grad student crowd, but I'm definitely not into the undergrad bar thing anymore, and not really into clubs. I'm more of a brewpub/live music kind of guy. Another consideration is the commute. I'd like to keep it under 30 minutes. Would it be possible to live closer to Boston itself, or will this pretty much require being further out in the burbs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,215,032 times
If you want to be fairly 'urban' / close to Boston and < 30 minutes to Lexington, your best bets would be Arlington, West Somerville (Davis Square), or parts of North Cambridge.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,714,547 times
When a newly minted MIT grad, age 22, and his 20 y/o brother moved in upstairs I figured they'd take off inside of five years. Year Seven began this month. The techie brother had a job in Lexington for some time, and said he could usually be there within a half-hour. If your gig follows a "conventional" (day-shift) schedule you'd have a reverse commute in your favor.
We live a short distance from Central Square in Cambridge, in the direction of Harvard, and the guys I write of like it a lot. So do I. Harvard Square is by far the worst part of the city if evading collegian infestation is your goal. Although a few nightspots in our neighborhood go the 18+ plus route, most draw a more "adult" (age 25+) clientele. For dining out we have everything from Wendy's to Cambodian cuisine within a short walking distance. Harvest Co-op and Whole Foods are close at hand for groceries, and when nothing will do but the gleaming and price-gouging Shaw's there's one not far away. Plus we have two 7-Elevens which literally never close. (When are they going to finally get around to changing the chain name to Twentyfour-7? lol)
Despite being practically within shouting distance of Mass. Ave, the block we live on is as quiet as a suburban cul-de-sac. The "undergrad effect" of noisy all-night parties is largely absent. Our street is a healthy mix of humanity, from grad students to senior citizens. Crime is also nearly non-existent outside of the occasional GPS smash n' grab or pilfered porch plant.
By that yardstick, Cambridge's Inman Square and Somerville's Davis Square measure up pretty well although Davis seems to be a bit heavy on "like"- strewing Bachelors candidates from Tufts. What draws me to Davis apart from other locations is the excellent Johnny D's music club, and the Somerville Theater for concerts and movies. Inman scores for having the jazz/salsa/etc spot Ryles and the Druid, an Irish pub like many others yet somehow more fun all the same.
A somewhat maverick, outside-the-box idea for setting up residence is Waltham. It borders Lexington to the south, would definitely be cheaper rent-wise, and contains the lively Moody St. (Yep, it's Moody yet lively.) Watch City Brewing Co...New Mother India...Solea (tapas bar)...Tuscan Grill...Lizzy's Ice Cream...The Skellig...Bison County...on and on the list goes of fun places to eat and drink. Many of these have musicians or bands performing on weekends. And when a trip into the big cities is called for, the bus and commuter rail are pretty good.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,401 times
Thank for the responses. That was definitely informative goyguy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston