Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 AM

24 posts, read 65,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
again, define "affordable". and for that matter, define "ghetto". I'd consider Allston a student ghetto. when I lived there it was dirty, bed bug infested, prone to crime, and filled with drunks at night. It was worse that some parts of Roxbury. I'd consider parts of South Boston to be "ghetto"

It's not rocket science- fix up your question and elaborate more on what you want or no one is going to waste thier time helping you. otherwise, just don't bother w/ this thread and move to Beacon Hill
I prefer for people to use their own personal views to define these words instead of me having to specify what my opinion is. If not then lets use the actually meaning that was intended.

I dont think I'm going to move on with this thread. I have several people who gave some excellent answers. I even think your answer is a very useful one regardless of it being on a more fascicle side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMind View Post
I prefer for people to use their own personal views to define these words instead of me having to specify what my opinion is. If not then lets use the actually meaning that was intended.

I dont think I'm going to move on with this thread. I have several people who gave some excellent answers. I even think your answer is a very useful one regardless of it being on a more fascicle side!

ok... well, in my mind, the only places I would currently live in or around the city are, brookline, newton, harvard sq, and the north end. These are somewhat affordable to me, since I can swing the rent in those areas.

so, live there...

if you are looking for real recomendations, you must personalize your question. if this is some social question looking for opinions on what is considered a ghetto/affordable, well then phrase the question in that way.

Right now, you posted a question say. Hey, I dont want to live in the ghetto, where can i live thats affordable.

there is no way to answer that question in a personalized manner to you, without getting more info.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM

188 posts, read 497,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMind View Post
I am moving to Boston next month. I want to avoid the Ghetto's and shady neighborhoods, any advice?

I am looking for nice neighborhoods other then Back Bay, Beacon Hill because they are the most expensive.

Looking for area's where there are some students. A place where a a lot of people are looking to live inside of a affordable budget. Where there are things to do and places to go

Needs to be close to the City and not near any Ghetto's, gang activity, projects....
Jamaica Plain. But fair warning anywhere in the city is going to be on the pricey side. I pay 650 in the newton everything included. Saving money trying to move to jamaica plain. But if you wait and move in august u will find more deals on craigslist around that time because they are trying to rent to students. Thats also one of the best times t find a place with everything included

Old 10-21-2011, 12:39 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife11 View Post
Jamaica Plain. But fair warning anywhere in the city is going to be on the pricey side. I pay 650 in the newton everything included. Saving money trying to move to jamaica plain. But if you wait and move in august u will find more deals on craigslist around that time because they are trying to rent to students. Thats also one of the best times t find a place with everything included
Really? i dont find it easier to find places in august. So many students are renting theres a lot of demand so landlords drive rents up because students parents will pay money to get a nice place. my best deal was in february.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Well since OP doesn't have a budget, move to Beacon Hill. If that's not good enough for you, there are a lot of lux places on Blue Hill Ave

Whats ghetto for some is reasonable for others

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Well since OP doesn't have a budget, move to Beacon Hill. If that's not good enough for you, there are a lot of lux places on Blue Hill Ave

there are even people who would consider Jamaica Plain to be "ghetto". the word "ghetto" does little to describe an area unless you're using it as a not so subtle way of saying "an area with no black people".

but yeah, no one would ever consider Beacon Hill as "ghetto" though I wouldn't consider it affordable either.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Jamaica Plain. But fair warning anywhere in the city is going to be on the pricey side. I pay 650 in the newton everything included.
wow, that a good deal, esp. if you're near the Center and/or the green line and that price includes cable/internet. I paid $600/month with no utilities included to live in Allston (yuck) and around $550/month w/o utilities to live in a super cramped 2 bedroom apartment near Davis Sq (barely 700sqft total). then again, this was some time ago, at least 5 years ago. seems like the prices have come down a tad since then

Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:

Oh you're so Diabolic! Good to see some Miami evil moving into Proper Bostonia. This ought to be fun.

<getting the popcorn>

Now if we can only get Princess to come up too then we will certainly witness Puritan virgins flogging themselves on Boston Common as Cotton Mather arises from the grave.

Life Blood - Trailer - YouTube

Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 65,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
ok... well, in my mind, the only places I would currently live in or around the city are, brookline, newton, harvard sq, and the north end. These are somewhat affordable to me, since I can swing the rent in those areas.

so, live there...

if you are looking for real recomendations, you must personalize your question. if this is some social question looking for opinions on what is considered a ghetto/affordable, well then phrase the question in that way.

Right now, you posted a question say. Hey, I dont want to live in the ghetto, where can i live thats affordable.

there is no way to answer that question in a personalized manner to you, without getting more info.
Im most likely going to move to Back Bay, if not that then Fenway. I found quite a few awesome apartments in Back Bay and hopefully will sign a contract by the end of the week once I come for a visit. I thought Back Bay would be much more expensive, but compared to what Im paying here in New York, it is pretty cool.

If I had my choice I still dont think I would move to Beacon Hill. It too trendy for me. I might be wrong, I hardly know anything about Boston!

About the whole ghetto issue, when I think of a ghetto I think of below the poverty line, gangs, a place where you become a target ever more so if your not black, suppressive mentalities....

People say Allton is "ghetto like" because its dirty and there are homeless people, drunks and addicts. I have no problem with homeless people and crackheads running around. There harmless, we have them everywhere here in NYC, even in the nicest areas. I dont think New York would be New York without them. What I hate the most about ghettos is the oppressive mentality that comes with it. People live in their own little world without any knowledge of the outside world and its depressing.

I lived in a few ghettos when I was younger, drifting around the city when I was a student, such as Newark, East New York Brooklyn... I have no problem with the violence, I can carry my own. I worry more about the effect the environment has on my ability to be creative and produce.

Quote:

What is ghetto is reasonable for others but that requires a certain mentality. I find ghettos reasonable and could live anywhere. I am able to choose what is more comfortable though. I spent many years schlepping from here to there. Why not be in the center of it all if you can afford it away from all of the bullsh*it.

I could live in Beacon Hill if I wanted to. I have no issue financially to do so. I rather save money though, or at least have more money to party with.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
I pay 650 in the newton everything included.
We pay 1500 (so 750 each) H/HW/Electricity/Central air/dishwasher and disposal, allows cats and dogs, in newton

we really hit the lotto with this place. The draw back, not walk-able to the T (about 2 miles away), but walk-able to the commuter rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston