Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 PM

20 posts, read 55,665 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Laurie and I would love to move to Boston. I went there two times and i simply fell in love with the city. Although, maybe is different living in it. What worries me is that the cost of living in Boston si extremely high for me. What should i do? any good advice is welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
wow, going to need a LOT more info to answer your question! some things to ponder:

1) what's your budget? need some type of ballpark range of what YOU consider affordable. I've never been to PR and know squat about the cost of living there, but Boston is probably more expensive (very few US cities are move expensive than Boston).
2) what are you looking for? a studio? house? room to rent? are you moving to MA solo or do you have a SO/kids/pets?
3) why are you coming to Boston? if it's for school, which school will you be going to? if you're here for work, where is the job located? finding a cheap apartment near UMass Boston will be much easier than finding cheap housing near Wellesley College
4) how far outside of Boston are you willing o live? East Boston, Lynn, and Revere have a much lower cost of living compared to Boston, has a very large Latino population, and is mostly easily accessible by T to Boston. the further away from the "hub" you live, the cheaper it will be

my honest advice: either live outside the city of Boston or find some roommates and rent a room. the cheapest rent I've paid in Boston was $300/month, but that was when I was living in a 3 bedroom apt w/ 5 other people in one of the sketchier neighborhoods in Boston. for a room share, I'd budget at least $400/month, not including utilities, for a room share in the East Boston/Lynn area (or maybe even Quincy/Braintree) and at least $500/month, not including utilities for the Boston area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston