Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 01:33 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,063,691 times

Advertisements

Certainly some interesting elements. The 'New England' aspect is interesting, as is the Irish influences. Than it seems there are some very interesting ethnicities interested in Boston, from Carribbean, to Brazilian, to Cape Verdian and Portuguese, to Vietnamese and Cambodians, etc.

1) Are there influences noticeable? Or are they just kind of backdrop, that happen to be around?

You also have some amazing educational opportunities, which could be a plus for community, perhaps not so much for job opportunities, as I'd assume graduates would have access to much of the more interesting jobs available in Boston.

2) Is that an issue? The better jobs go to graduates of the many universities already in the area?

On the downsides....it's expensive. While Boston has a lot of interesting things in its favor. It's hard not to look at the high costs of the area, and just deal with equally high costs of better weather cities, like Seattle, Honolulu, Miami, San Diego, San Francisco...

For people who are not too crazy about cold weather and cold winters...is Boston one of those places that slowly drives transplants crazy with their winters....one of those places, where people start dreaming of Florida or California, as the winter temperatures start plummeting more and more?

3) I'm sure in the Summer, there is no better place to be, but how about in the Winter? Does Boston start losing some of it's allure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,147,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Certainly some interesting elements. The 'New England' aspect is interesting, as is the Irish influences. Than it seems there are some very interesting ethnicities interested in Boston, from Carribbean, to Brazilian, to Cape Verdian and Portuguese, to Vietnamese and Cambodians, etc.

1) Are there influences noticeable? Or are they just kind of backdrop, that happen to be around?
I would bet that it probably depends on the person/lifestyle. While my social and professional circles are ethnically diverse (Indian, Chinese, European), the above are not represented. I don't know if I would even call it a back drop given no day-to-day contact or observations at all. I manage a pretty insulated lifestyle and need to get out more.

Quote:
You also have some amazing educational opportunities, which could be a plus for community, perhaps not so much for job opportunities, as I'd assume graduates would have access to much of the more interesting jobs available in Boston.

2) Is that an issue? The better jobs go to graduates of the many universities already in the area?
Local talent will obviously have greater access to local job opportunities, but I work with a lot of transplants from around the globe. With that said, both my husband and I are tied to the area due to our specific professions being a good fit for the bio-tech scene in the Boston metro area.

Quote:
On the downsides....it's expensive. While Boston has a lot of interesting things in its favor. It's hard not to look at the high costs of the area, and just deal with equally high costs of better weather cities, like Seattle, Honolulu, Miami, San Diego, San Francisco...
To draw on what I stated above, it depends on your profession. Some folk have more options while others are tied to regional opportunity. California would probably work for us, but it's just not our cup of tea. We've been out there three years in a row and, I don't know, I'm always itching to get back to the east coast. Boston is small city and pretty manageable, but perhaps I'm just used to it. The highways in Cali are so big and the coast seems to be more expensive than here. That might just be a lack of experience on my part.

Quote:
For people who are not too crazy about cold weather and cold winters...is Boston one of those places that slowly drives transplants crazy with their winters....one of those places, where people start dreaming of Florida or California, as the winter temperatures start plummeting more and more?

3) I'm sure in the Summer, there is no better place to be, but how about in the Winter? Does Boston start losing some of it's allure?
The winters in New England are tough. We just got pelted with snow and bad weather yesterday and it's still October! Frankly, I'm pretty ticked about right now. I lost power last night into today. I was scrambling this morning running to the home depot to get back up battery power for my fish tank. The weather increases the cost of living even more-so than housing costs imo. It brings wear and tear on the cars. Heating costs, snow removal, possible damage to the home. I was driving home last night and trees were down every where. Granted, it was a unique event, but screw that.

Even so, New England is just beautiful. If you're into climbing/hiking, this area is a nice place to be. Then, there are so many bio-tech companies within 30 minutes from my home, so many colleges and uni's. I'd be nervous to give that up.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,413,743 times
Quote:

Backdrop. The average white Bostonian has never met a Cape Verdean, and wouldn't know (or care) where Cape Verde even is located.

Quote:

Given a choice a company will forgo moving expenses and hire the local talent. No surprise here. However during boom times in high tech there are usually more openings than there are local talent to fill them.

Quote:
It did for me, which is why I left...

Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM

3,850 posts, read 5,263,082 times
Quote:

The influence is noticeable. Many of these communities are integrated, especially Brazilians who are almost impossible to not run into on a personal basis. As far a prior comment about Cape Verdeans, the average white Bostonian probably knows more about Cape Verde than any other group of White American residents in the country. Since the community is exclusively clustered in New England. I have 3 white co-workers who have actually been to Cape Verde. On top of that if they live in Suffolk Country, the Sheriff they overwhelmingly voted in is a Cape Verdean woman.

Quote:

It is a competitive area because of the Schools that we have here. Everyone realizes that. But we also have alot of transplants. Me for example, I did my undergrad at Columbia and Grad School at Rotman (University of Toronto) and did not have any issue finding a position in the area. Quite a few of my colleagues graduated from other schools as well.

It is expensive in the area, but if you are in certain professions you can more than make up for it with your wages. This is a good paying area, especially for myself who works in Healthcare Finance.

My wife and I are originally from the West Indies, so yes while we really like living in the area and its arguably one of the best places for us professionally a part of us would like to move somewhere warmer in the future. Chances are that would mean moving back to the Islands though as we are here in America first a foremost to build a future for our family, if it was personal reasons only we would be back home where we feel completely at home.

Quote:
See above. It definitely does. We love the Summers here, Spring and especially Fall (which is gorgeous in New England) but Winter is terrible.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 PM

188 posts, read 496,338 times
When I mentioned Cape Verdeans to my collegues in south carolina no one knew what i was talking about. These are college educated peers and they had no clue. Thats because most of them have never lived outside of sc and cape verdeans are not represented in sc at all. Neither are black dominicans. White people in Boston know more about them than my black peers in sc, so what does that tell you??? Boston and NYC are the most diverse cities i have lived in. I can tell you right now in the south if you have dark skin your black. No one there knows what the hell a cape verdean or black dominican is. They have never met Portugese there either. Seems to me when its not around you, most dont seek it out. So I agree with edwardsyzzurphands. I see more and more minorites here everyday. And to be exact there are actually more minorities here than whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston