U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
 
2 posts, read 13,310 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi -
I'm looking at probably a Dec/Jan move to Boston from TX and trying to get a list of good areas for research. I'll be looking to rent, preferably somewhere in a $1,500-$1,700 max range. Work would be downtown and I'd most likely be dependent upon public transportation, so proximity to the train would be another factor. I'd like to have a fairly short commute, but good and safe neighborhood is more important to me.

Other factors, like being able to get to a grocery store and possibly a gym, are of consideration for me. It seems like most areas have fairly good restaurant, bar, at least ok shopping in vicinity?

Any help is appreciated! I'm going to a job interview in the next few weeks but that won't be enough time to really investigate the city in person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,025 posts, read 14,574,382 times
Reputation: 8136
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1282 View Post
Hi -
I'm looking at probably a Dec/Jan move to Boston from TX and trying to get a list of good areas for research. I'll be looking to rent, preferably somewhere in a $1,500-$1,700 max range. Work would be downtown and I'd most likely be dependent upon public transportation, so proximity to the train would be another factor. I'd like to have a fairly short commute, but good and safe neighborhood is more important to me.

Other factors, like being able to get to a grocery store and possibly a gym, are of consideration for me. It seems like most areas have fairly good restaurant, bar, at least ok shopping in vicinity?

Any help is appreciated! I'm going to a job interview in the next few weeks but that won't be enough time to really investigate the city in person.
With that budget, you could rent almost anywhere in the city. The major catch is the size of the apartment you and what included amenities you want. You could find a studio at that price right downtown, but it may not be the most updated piece of property. Or you can move further away from downtown and get more bang for your buck in terms of space and amenities. The main issue I'm seeing is having access to shopping, supermarkets, and a gym. IIRC, Boston doesn't have many gyms, especially 24/7 ones.

some different areas and a few examples of rentals currently on Craigslist:

-You could look right downtown in the Beacon Hill or Chinatown area. You may be able to just walk to work. Fairly safe, though the Common can get iffy late at night. No shortage of shopping within walking distance, including Newbury St, but limited supermarkets (not sure about gyms). You many only be able to get a studio or small 1 bedroom here though.
SUPER NICE STUDIO! w/ concierge , w&d on ea. fl - STEPS 2 COMMONS (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698925094.html - broken link)

Gorgeous Beacon Hill Studio Spacious Roofdeck Steps To Commons 11/15 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2680263172.html - broken link)


-Brookline is a 'burb of Boston, but is literally surrounded by Boston on multiple sides and provides an easy commute downtown via the green line. Coolidge corner has some good shopping, including a Trader Joe's. Note, Brookline is pricey, so expect smaller, less updated places. Oh, and no on street parking, so look out if you're bringing a car
STEPS TO D-LINE@BROOKLINE VILLAGE! LARGE FURNISHED STUDIO IN HIGHRISE (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698888302.html - broken link)

BROOKLINE, ON C-LINE~PARKING INCLUDED!!! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698875248.html - broken link)

Huge One Bed On Vinal Street Near The B Line and short walk to Coolidge Corner. (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/nfb/2698851859.html - broken link)

-Back Bay/South End is close to downtown. Has a lot of smaller boutiques and restaurants, but is lacking in large supermarkets. Your main choices would be the Whole Foods near Berklee or the Shaws in the Prudential center. In some spots, you may be a bit of a walk away from the train, but there are buses, including the Silver line, that will drop you off right at the Common in less than 30 mins.
+nice 1BR apt on Symphony Rd! H&HW included! walk to NEU/NEC avail 1/1 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2697516892.html - broken link)

gorgeous 1BR apt! renovated!! so close to berklee/boco avail NOW (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2697324048.html - broken link)

-the Fenway is close to Back Bay, the Boston University Campus, obviously Fenway Park, and the Longwood Medical District. As a result, it's a mix bag and can be filled with rowdy undergrads, sports fans on game day, or workers. I think most of the night life here edges towards the aforementioned undergrads, but I think adults over the age of 22 can enjoy the area too. And it's an easy commute via the green line downtown.
1 Bd on Queensberry St., Avail 04/01, HT/HW, YouTube Video!!, Photos (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/nfb/2698915433.html - broken link)
WOW!! Beautiful 1BR Spacious Kitchen Ht/Hw Incld Hrdwd Flrs Laundry!! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2693910723.html - broken link)

STUNNING STUDIO, 2 ROOMS, BRAND NEW, BEAUTIFUL 12/15 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698928805.html - broken link)

-Mission Hill is another option. It used to be a rough area but has gentrified in recent years. You'd be close to Northeastern, Mass College of Art, Simmons, and the Museum of Fine Arts, along with the South End and Fenway areas. The green line or even the orange line will get you to downtown quickly.
Terrific One Bedroom Apartment in Mission Hill ... Avail 1/1 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/nfb/2697322301.html - broken link)

UNIQULEY LARGE BRIGHAM CIRCLE TWO BED AVAILABLE NOW!! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2683659539.html - broken link)

Some other areas to also consider includes: Jamaica Plains, South Boston (not to be confused with the South End!), the North End, and Charlestown. And don't forget Cambridge and Somerville, which are easily accessible to downtown via the red line. For these two areas, I'd stick to Harvard, Central, Porter, Davis, and Union Squares. These areas will vary greatly in terms of ease of transport (some may only allow commute via bus unless you walk a bit to the train), shopping, and amenities like gyms. I personally like JP, Central Sq, and Brookline (specifically the area around Coolidge Corner) as these areas have good shopping options, easy commutes downtown, and are lively, yet pretty safe

ETA: instead of Craigslist, I would use a site like Padmappers, which does a better job of showing you surrounding amenities like train stops and stores. Also check the walk score of an address; the higher the score, the more likely there are amenities like stores, libraries, and gyms w/in walking distance.
http://www.padmapper.com/search/apar...usetts/boston/
http://www.walkscore.com/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Princeton, NJ
245 posts, read 609,481 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
With that budget, you could rent almost anywhere in the city. The major catch is the size of the apartment you and what included amenities you want. You could find a studio at that price right downtown, but it may not be the most updated piece of property. Or you can move further away from downtown and get more bang for your buck in terms of space and amenities. The main issue I'm seeing is having access to shopping, supermarkets, and a gym. IIRC, Boston doesn't have many gyms, especially 24/7 ones.

some different areas and a few examples of rentals currently on Craigslist:

-You could look right downtown in the Beacon Hill or Chinatown area. You may be able to just walk to work. Fairly safe, though the Common can get iffy late at night. No shortage of shopping within walking distance, including Newbury St, but limited supermarkets (not sure about gyms). You many only be able to get a studio or small 1 bedroom here though.
SUPER NICE STUDIO! w/ concierge , w&d on ea. fl - STEPS 2 COMMONS (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698925094.html - broken link)

Gorgeous Beacon Hill Studio Spacious Roofdeck Steps To Commons 11/15 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2680263172.html - broken link)


-Brookline is a 'burb of Boston, but is literally surrounded by Boston on multiple sides and provides an easy commute downtown via the green line. Coolidge corner has some good shopping, including a Trader Joe's. Note, Brookline is pricey, so expect smaller, less updated places. Oh, and no on street parking, so look out if you're bringing a car
STEPS TO D-LINE@BROOKLINE VILLAGE! LARGE FURNISHED STUDIO IN HIGHRISE (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698888302.html - broken link)

BROOKLINE, ON C-LINE~PARKING INCLUDED!!! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698875248.html - broken link)

Huge One Bed On Vinal Street Near The B Line and short walk to Coolidge Corner. (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/nfb/2698851859.html - broken link)

-Back Bay/South End is close to downtown. Has a lot of smaller boutiques and restaurants, but is lacking in large supermarkets. Your main choices would be the Whole Foods near Berklee or the Shaws in the Prudential center. In some spots, you may be a bit of a walk away from the train, but there are buses, including the Silver line, that will drop you off right at the Common in less than 30 mins.
+nice 1BR apt on Symphony Rd! H&HW included! walk to NEU/NEC avail 1/1 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2697516892.html - broken link)

gorgeous 1BR apt! renovated!! so close to berklee/boco avail NOW (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2697324048.html - broken link)

-the Fenway is close to Back Bay, the Boston University Campus, obviously Fenway Park, and the Longwood Medical District. As a result, it's a mix bag and can be filled with rowdy undergrads, sports fans on game day, or workers. I think most of the night life here edges towards the aforementioned undergrads, but I think adults over the age of 22 can enjoy the area too. And it's an easy commute via the green line downtown.
1 Bd on Queensberry St., Avail 04/01, HT/HW, YouTube Video!!, Photos (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/nfb/2698915433.html - broken link)
WOW!! Beautiful 1BR Spacious Kitchen Ht/Hw Incld Hrdwd Flrs Laundry!! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2693910723.html - broken link)

STUNNING STUDIO, 2 ROOMS, BRAND NEW, BEAUTIFUL 12/15 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2698928805.html - broken link)

-Mission Hill is another option. It used to be a rough area but has gentrified in recent years. You'd be close to Northeastern, Mass College of Art, Simmons, and the Museum of Fine Arts, along with the South End and Fenway areas. The green line or even the orange line will get you to downtown quickly.
Terrific One Bedroom Apartment in Mission Hill ... Avail 1/1 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/nfb/2697322301.html - broken link)

UNIQULEY LARGE BRIGHAM CIRCLE TWO BED AVAILABLE NOW!! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2683659539.html - broken link)

Some other areas to also consider includes: Jamaica Plains, South Boston (not to be confused with the South End!), the North End, and Charlestown. And don't forget Cambridge and Somerville, which are easily accessible to downtown via the red line. For these two areas, I'd stick to Harvard, Central, Porter, Davis, and Union Squares. These areas will vary greatly in terms of ease of transport (some may only allow commute via bus unless you walk a bit to the train), shopping, and amenities like gyms. I personally like JP, Central Sq, and Brookline (specifically the area around Coolidge Corner) as these areas have good shopping options, easy commutes downtown, and are lively, yet pretty safe

ETA: instead of Craigslist, I would use a site like Padmappers, which does a better job of showing you surrounding amenities like train stops and stores. Also check the walk score of an address; the higher the score, the more likely there are amenities like stores, libraries, and gyms w/in walking distance.
Apartments for Rent in Boston - PadMapper Map-Based Apartment Search (Oodle, Apartments.com, and Craigslist)
Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

This is such an incredibly helpful post! I'm not even the person asking the question but I found some great information here. Especially the websites: Walk Score and Pad Mapper. Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 07:04 PM
 
2 posts, read 13,310 times
Reputation: 10
Default Thanks for the help eevee!

I agree. This is very helpful. The padmapper site already looks like a better use of my time.

Charlestown had come up with some interesting listings in my previous search, but I was very curious if there were areas within that neighborhood that were better/worse for a single female?

Also, some listings in the Allston/Brighton area came up. Based on my research lower Allston would be more applicable (more professionals and less students?).

Thanks again for the great information!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM
 
1 posts, read 6,538 times
Reputation: 10
Default Safety

I've been living in the Boston area for the past 3 years and it is a complicated landscape. As a single woman, I can really relate to your concerns. I picked a place based on my work commute & find myself travelling quite far for my non-work interests. So now I'm in the process of figuring out where to move to, again. I would have to agree w/ prior posts about the usefulness of Walkscore but it doesn't touch on safety. Check out this link:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

There are definitely correlations between the best school districts & best safety & highest housing prices but pricey doesn't nec. mean safe. Also, check out

Boston Magazine - Boston's Guide to Restaurants, Shopping, Nightlife, Arts & Entertainment and Culture. - Boston Magazine

they run & archive all kinds of 'where to live' articles

Best of luck!

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:40 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Newton, Mass.
2,954 posts, read 11,760,631 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1282 View Post
Charlestown had come up with some interesting listings in my previous search, but I was very curious if there were areas within that neighborhood that were better/worse for a single female?

Also, some listings in the Allston/Brighton area came up. Based on my research lower Allston would be more applicable (more professionals and less students?).

Thanks again for the great information!
Charlestown: generally, closer to City Square/downtown the better, closer to Medford St. and Sullivan not as good. But that is only a generalization.

Allston: Yes, there are somewhat fewer students in Lower Allston but there are some 20-somethings having parties there too. I had some friends who lived there a few years ago; I wouldn't have wanted to live next to them. It's also a bit more isolated a neighborhood. Fewer transit options and really not much to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,025 posts, read 14,574,382 times
Reputation: 8136
Honestly, I would just avoid Allston/Brighton completely. Lower Allston and Brighton don't have the best transportation options (plan to rely on buses a great deal) and parts of Allston, even lower Allston, and select portions of Brighton are heavily populated by undergrads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top