Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times

Advertisements

Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
When I say "hip" I mean lots of cafes, art galleries, restaurants and museums and young people.. ect....
Boston has all of that, but spread all over the place, Cambridge would probably be a better fit.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4269a View Post
Columbia hires 25 year old professors ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Is this in addition to being a financial advisor in Seattle?
Quote:
Wait, you also have an online business! And work as a real estate broker! You are a true renaissance man/woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Busted.
Ah poo, look at me putting in time and effort on my response to this thread! Well, maybe a legit person will stumble upon it in the future....

Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4269a View Post
Columbia hires 25 year old professors ?
Quote:
Is this in addition to being a financial advisor in Seattle?
Quote:
Wait, you also have an online business! And work as a real estate broker! You are a true renaissance man/woman.
You guys are wikkid smot!

OP, go back to Phoenix. But leave the glue here.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
I'm actually a new yorker. I've found a high paying job in Cambridge. I'm 27 and I've been a professor of PoliScience in Columbia Universety for 2 and a half years now. That's really the main reason why I might relocate to Boston.

The numbers here are a bit fuzzy for me. A four year degree brings it to 22 years of age..then two and a half years to get a ph.d ?

The vast majority of the professors in the department are older
Faculty Directory

If you really have two and a half years experience in teaching there shouldn't you be on a tenure track? Columbia is pretty high ranked so I don't see as to why someone would leave it if they are and especially with two and a half years in.

If you are not tenured the policy there is they give you eight years.
Up-or-Out Policy

Eight years is pretty long in if you look at some policies in Mass. UMass boston has NTT (non tenured track) and the contract is three years. Then again some have been on NTT for 20 years!

I'd recommend taking a few years to publish something. If you want to go to Boston maybe try during a sabattical.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
Some people call themselves "professors" just because they teach in an university - could be some sort of teaching assistant or part-time teaching a lite course. ..... Just saying.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Not all places of higher education have teaching assistance. Part time teaching is still teaching. I won't put someone down if they are adjunct or not. I know someone who teaches at four places part time (two institutions normally, one in the summer and one occasionally). I've met another one that would love to pick up more class hours but the union said he would then monopolize the subject and thus they deny him. Academia can get very political.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
It's different at Columbia "Universety".

Confidential to mdovell: read the OP's post history.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:34 PM

42 posts, read 122,727 times
Even though OP is a troll, this is a genuinely good question - shame he/she had to lie, but anyway, here's my answer: there is no direct equivalent of New York's Williamsburg in Boston. So, sorry to any Brooklyn hippies reading this thread. But as a grad student who has some similar interests to what the troll wrote, there are some similar neighborhoods here.

Allston and Brookline fit this the closest (though keep in mind, Brookline is not technically part of the city of Boston). Brookline especially fits this profile: eclectic shops, interesting bookstores, some of the best restaurants in the Boston area, and a lot of students who bring in the ironic, too-cool-for-labels hipster vibe - especially the BU kids (and surprisingly enough, one or two BC kids). There is plenty of live music around these areas too.

Allston is very much a student's neighborhood, while Brookline is a mix of yuppie, student, and retired old money. Yes, believe it or not, there are a lot of wealthy, established people in Brookline. Needless to say, they do not frequently appear on the hipster scene.

Cambridge also fits this, although again it's not a part of Boston. But Cambridge is definitely hip, eclectic, and full of interesting things to do and see. It's my favorite part of the Boston area.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Some people call themselves "professors" just because they teach in an university - could be some sort of teaching assistant or part-time teaching a lite course. ..... Just saying.
He's also a professor at Berkley and will be moon-lighting in Seattle. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston