Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times

Advertisements

Xsobe, I worked in Chinatown in the overnight hours in the later 70s and throughout the 80s while I started a business of my own. I loved the aura that Chinatown had at that time. I was hoooked on it. Having lived in Hyde Park, then in Dorchester, looking back, it is as if the City is meant to change to bring in different ethnicities, then to move out. I spoke in front of a class at Stone Hill College some time ago and one of the students brought that point out to me. I am now thinking that this has been the way of many cities as well. Change is our only constant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM

PS, I agree with your view

Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 PM

188 posts, read 497,097 times
Students drive the rents up. People have told me the reason harvard square apts. are so pricey is because the law students are willing to pay a lot. Look at Jamaica Plain. I was told this used to be an affordable area...have you seen the rent prices for JP neighborhoods lately?

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife11 View Post
Students drive the rents up. People have told me the reason harvard square apts. are so pricey is because the law students are willing to pay a lot. Look at Jamaica Plain. I was told this used to be an affordable area...have you seen the rent prices for JP neighborhoods lately?
Perhaps, but these two examples are both places with tremendous market appeal. Both have what lots of people are looking for--real community, public safety, walkable shopping/cafe/restaurant scene, heavy-rail subway service, parks and open space, quality housing... The only less-than-first-rate thing about either one is the desirability of local public schools. People have always paid a premium to live around Harvard Square. Jamaica Plain really was cheap years ago but the baby boom generation, when young, saw a lot of value in inner city neighborhoods like that and now it's very desirable.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Dorchester homeowner here. Go Gentrification!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
Xsobe, I worked in Chinatown in the overnight hours in the later 70s and throughout the 80s while I started a business of my own. I loved the aura that Chinatown had at that time. I was hoooked on it. Having lived in Hyde Park, then in Dorchester, looking back, it is as if the City is meant to change to bring in different ethnicities, then to move out. I spoke in front of a class at Stone Hill College some time ago and one of the students brought that point out to me. I am now thinking that this has been the way of many cities as well. Change is our only constant.
Oh absolutely, and the people caught up in the change have polar opinions on whether the change is good or bad. The Massachuset certainly weren't happy with the arrival of Miles Standish, although the Wampanoag were - at first. A generation later that all changed. The Puritans, then Greek, Irish, Italian, Jews, Blacks Asians and Hispanics Gays, now Yuppies all in sequence one out as the other arrives.

In the fifties, Jews didn't want blacks forcing them out, but it happened. Later, Irish didn't want to lose their neighborhood identity in DOT and Southie. Blacks didn't want to lose the South End, but it happened. Wally from Wally's used to stand in his bar shaking his head saying " I hate white people". Cause they were taking over his bar.

It's hard to see the culture of your home disappear. But it is the cycle of life.

BTW, did you ever wonder why Bolylston has such a vibe? It might interest you that it is known that people have been walking down Boylston for 7000 years!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boylston_Street_Fishweir

Old 12-15-2011, 04:20 AM

Xsobe,

I agree with you on the history and did not know about that Boylston St fact. I will check out that site later. I found this site not too long ago and love it. Boston born and still loving and learning about this city

Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
Xsobe,

I agree with you on the history and did not know about that Boylston St fact. I will check out that site later. I found this site not too long ago and love it. Boston born and still loving and learning about this city
Welcome to the forum. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston