Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times

Advertisements

Are there big growth problems in Boston? (i.e., too many people migrating to the area.)

With the current popularity, does the city seem to be losing its traditional character?

I'm trying to get away from these sorts of problems in my current city, so I was just looking for any input on the Boston area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
Boston actually faces the opposite problem- population decline. Massachusetts was the only state to lose population in the last census.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:54 PM

Really? I find that shocking, considering how "trendy" it supposedly is (especially amungst 20 somethings). It's definitely a nice surprise though - I'd be glad to get away from the insanity I'm living in right now.

So, if I were looking for a place with a traditional feel, and plenty of character, would the Boston area be a good choice? (In comparison to cookie-cutter sprawl that never stops growing.)

Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
nope, lots of people (including me) have fled MA, mostly b/c of the ridiculous cost of living. college kids/ young professionals are especially living in packs as many just can't afford high tuition loans plus the increasing rents (EVERYONE I knew under 30yo either lived at home w/ their family or had 2+ roommates, even the ones making $40k/year)

Boston is becoming yuppier every year and the areas not crawling w/ yuppies are mostly inhabited by immigrants who bring in their own culture. in order to find a "traditional" feel (sorry, not sure what that means), you may have to head out to the 'burbs or smaller towns. I always thought some of the smaller towns on the North shore/Cape had a nice, quaint feel to them (if I ever move back to MA, I'd live on the North shore)

Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
nope, lots of people (including me) have fled MA, mostly b/c of the ridiculous cost of living. college kids/ young professionals are especially living in packs as many just can't afford high tuition loans plus the increasing rents (EVERYONE I knew under 30yo either lived at home w/ their family or had 2+ roommates, even the ones making $40k/year)

Boston is becoming yuppier every year and the areas not crawling w/ yuppies are mostly inhabited by immigrants who bring in their own culture. in order to find a "traditional" feel (sorry, not sure what that means), you may have to head out to the 'burbs or smaller towns. I always thought some of the smaller towns on the North shore/Cape had a nice, quaint feel to them (if I ever move back to MA, I'd live on the North shore)

Well said. A lot of young professionals are getting job offers in other cities for the same they would make in Boston. With lower rents and other lower costs people are moving away from Boston. Most of the people i know (young professionals) are looking at other cities to move to, and some have already moved out of New England.

It seems in Boston you get the people with "old money" now and college students.

My general opinion is Boston is a nice city to visit, but living there is another story.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:43 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Really? I find that shocking, considering how "trendy" it supposedly is (especially amungst 20 somethings). It's definitely a nice surprise though - I'd be glad to get away from the insanity I'm living in right now.

So, if I were looking for a place with a traditional feel, and plenty of character, would the Boston area be a good choice? (In comparison to cookie-cutter sprawl that never stops growing.)
In comparison to what? Boston still has Gaps, BestBuy, Starbucks, DD, ... etc..

As to money mention by eevee, it is all relative. People are happy when they make more than their peers. $40K salary is not a lot here since the median income around here is much higher. Also, there are over 100,000 students paying $40-50K a year just for school here. If you make over $100-$150K, you will be much happier here. There are so many people with graduate degrees here.... you're just one of thousands.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 PM

I don't mind chain stores.

Maybe traditional wasn't the best word. I mostly just want to live someplace with it's own distinct character. Old buildings, cultural areas, and local charm.

...and no huge excess of in-migration....

Old 08-30-2007, 01:14 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
blah, I'm still new to this forum and I have no clue how to edit my first post. I meant to say " college kids/young professionals are especially LEAVING in packs..."

though, considering how high rent is in most areas, it's really not uncommon to find a "pack" of college grads living in tiny spaces (like 6 people sharing a 2 bedroom!). Freudian slip

but yeah, there are places in MA w/ character, places w/ long held traditions. Boston ain't one of them though! (though there are some nice buildings and lots of charm, most of it is for the tourists' sake. again, I've always found the fishing towns on the North Shore/Cape to be charming and old school in many ways)

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 AM

702 posts, read 3,009,939 times
First a few facts, Boston is not experiencing an exodus suggested by other posters. The census figures given are just estimates, so they are usually not accurate. Census estimates do not take account student population in dorms or converted old housing stock, which are a huge factors in Boston. Regardless, as the census statistics below show, the general trend is that the city is growing albeit slowly.

1990 population (actual): 574,283
2000 population (actual): 589,141
2006 population (estimate): 590,763

Source:
Boston city, Massachusetts - Population Finder - American FactFinder

Students leaving in droves is just a natural cycle for Boston since a lot of these students arrive in droves from all parts of the world. So, going back home is not too unusual. However, there are also lots of new spinoff companies that retain graduates from the elite colleges around the city.

Boston is actually one of the more distinctive American cities in terms of architecture and history. It is also in New England which has European influences in its built environment and infrastructure such as rotaries or roundabouts. If you like Europe but still want to be in the U.S. then Boston is a good choice, it has all that you mention: old buildings, cultural areas and local charm. However, housing cost is relatively high in comparison to the cheaper areas of the country. It is nevertheless lower than other coastal cities such as New York, coastal California and Washington, DC. Also, please keep in mind that median incomes here are among the highest in the U.S. to compensate for the high housing cost. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,453 times
Well the exodus is that Boston is losing young professionals and college graduates and substituting that population with illegal immigrants. So just because the overall population of Boston hasn't changed much doesn't mean their isn't an exodus of a certain group of people.

It is important for a city and state to have young professionals and college students stay because they become the key jobforce and lifeblood. Most of the young people i know in MA aren't even considering staying or moving to Boston, or have already left the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: