Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM

33 posts, read 193,072 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm 28 years old, single, and actually from New England. I don't know many people in Massachusetts, except for those at my job (in Framingham).

I'd like to live somewhere where my age isn't a minority. And I am thinking either Newton or Cambridge. I must have a car, because I work in Framingham.

Can someone please let me know what parts of Boston (or even the burbs) are cool places for a late 20's single female working professional to live? The closer to Boston, the better.

Again, I've heard Newton or Cambridge, but want to verify that, or see if anyone else has any other suggestions:-)

Cost is somewhat of a concern, i am looking in the $1200 price range.

Thanks so much!
moi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Default Newton, Cambridge, Brighton

Of the two places you've considered, Newton and Cambridge, Cambridge is the more obvious fit, being a college town, but part of this depends on how long a commute you can deal with. Being closer to Framingham, Newton would be more convenient. You might look at the Chestnut Hill section (whcich Newton shares with Brookline). Chestnut Hill is close to the B.C. campus, so it gets some college population. For the same reason, another area to look into would be Brighton, which is close to both B.C. and B.U. Being part of the city of Boston, Brighton is more densely populated than Newton, so the car may present some difficulty, but it's not necessarily impossible, since Brighton does have a lot of single-family houses, many of which are rented by students.

Since you're a young adult, a little older than many of the college kids, if you'd like to separate yourself some from such a very young crowd, remember that Brighton is a city neighborhood with a mix of population, which includes people of varying ages, including some young working preople like you, and is not exculusively students. You might also look into other sections of Newton besides Chestnut Hill. Many of the neighbors would be families, but Newton is large enough to have some variety in its population, and at least you'd have local restaurants and small shops, with Boston just a short drive or quick T ride away. For that experience of being in an urban setting, with neighborhood shops and eateries, and a mixed population that would not be made up heavily of students but would still include some young adults, in a location close to downtown Boston, you might also look at Jamaica Plain and Somerville (though Somerville is another town that's getting a little far from Framingham, depending on how long a commute you're ready to handle).

Best of luck.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:49 PM

33 posts, read 193,072 times
Default RE: Where in Boston? Late 20's, single, professional

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm 28, and i really love Boston, but I really do not want to live amongst a bunch of hyper active 21 year olds. I've heard that Allston/Brighton is very young.

Is it possible to live in Boston? Or cambridge, Newton, etc, but not be a minority being a late 20's working professional? where?

thanks!!!!! I work by by the Natick Mall in Framingham, where the Mass Pike intersects with route 30 and 9.

thanks!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 58,914 times
Smile cambridgeport is one option, also inman square somerville

its pricy, but cambridgeport - that is, the part of cambridge south of mass ave to the charles river - has worked out great for me in terms of commuting. i live by central square, loads of public transport, but i commute to worcester. not having to fight my way to the Pike is a nice thing (im only a mile away), as is being able to walk everywhere in my neighborhood or jog along the river. there are a lot of late 20s folks here, but the harvard/mit undergrads do then to take over SOME of the bars on the weekends.

warning - a parking space is a MUST in cambridge. i pay a lot for that privelege, but it makes having a car there so much easier.

other areas i have considered: South End (bit of a euro feel and right near the commuter rail to framingham), Jamaica Plain (more of a trek to the pike, but nice sociality there). If you dont mind fighting your way to the pike in the morning, Inman square area is less expensie than cambridge (its across the cambridge border in somerville), more of a neighborhoody area, but be sure you get on the side closer to the south/mass ave direction.

good luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
I agree with what ogre said. I would look in Brighton at it has a good balance of college students, young professionals, and families. Brighton wouldn't be a bad commute also doing a reverse commute down the mass pike, and would be closer to Boston.

Newton is more family-oriented and suburban. I don't think as a young professional it would be preferred. Somerville, especially around davis square has lots of college students, but it would be a tough commute to Framingham. Cambridge wouldn't be too bad except for the commute, but i think checking out Brighton is your best bet.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 PM

233 posts, read 368,654 times
Since you will have a reverse commute to Framingham, most of the cities near or west of Boston should work. IMO it's better to rent something small in the place you want, than something big in a boring area. I would try for the North end Back Bay or South end, all have good access to I-90. Look on Craig's list for a place in a big old house owned by an owner occupant landlord. Brighton is OK but Cambridge or Brookline are better and have better mass transit. Newton is pretty slow at night as are Watertown and Waltham. The latter two are more gritty as well but still safe. You will be bored in Natick or Wellesley I think.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:59 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times
I agree with Tocoto...

Just want to add a couple of things...

Rent would be similar amongst the towns... the main difference is as you move towards Framingham, the apartment size is usually bigger and in better condition. Also, consider a roommate if you want to be closer to the city. This lowers your rent and have someone to do stuff with.

The other thing to consider is the transportation cost. Mass Pike tolls are increasing... If you live outside of the city, parking in the city could be very expensive. $10-20 each time you park in a garage in Boston.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,019 times
As I am in my late twenties and do live in Boston, I feel qualified to chime in on this topic. I spent two years in Cambridge, and I do believe that it is a great place to be. The different areas tend to change rather drastically (i.e. central sq to harvard) and depending on where you pick will dictate the demographic in every way. I was in Harvard, and found it to be a nice fit when I first moved to the city. It was urban, but not as much so, as say back bay boston or the south end. Rents can be pricey and 1200 is pushing it anywhere in the city, but you should be able to find some deals. Cambridge is also fairly close to the pike, making it easier for your commute. Stay away from central, or east cambridge, as these areas tend to be a little bit on the "gritty" side with some unfavorable additions to your daily life. Urban living doesnt have to equate to "putting up with bulls***". A few more suggestions...
I would look into Brookline, particularly near Brookline village, or coolidge corner. The demos are older, and more quiet, and you are actually surrounded by Boston. the only draw back... no overnight parking on the streets in brookline, youd need a space, which can run you a few hundred a month. the south end has become very nice as well, paricularly on tremont between arlington and dartmouth. Union Sq is great. tons of culture. Parking, although still tough, is easier than the back bay. Bottom line, ifyou want to live in Boston, you will need to make a few adjustments to you life stlye. Parking will become an obsession if you need your car and prices will go up. Monthly parking in a garage downtown will cost between 300-600 per month. Daily rates near where I work(financial district) is min $30 per day. I dont know where SMARTY is parking but its not right in the city for the prices he quoted. This is the second most expensive city in the country after NYC. Its great, but its not going to just be western mass in an urban setting. Bottom line: Cambridge (Harvard, Porter), Brookline (Brookline Village, Coolidge Corner), South End, (Union Sq). You can try the back bay, but 1200 will only get you a studio.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Bottom line, ifyou want to live in Boston, you will need to make a few adjustments to you life stlye. Parking will become an obsession if you need your car and prices will go up. Monthly parking in a garage downtown will cost between 300-600 per month. Daily rates near where I work(financial district) is min $30 per day. I dont know where SMARTY is parking but its not right in the city for the prices he quoted. This is the second most expensive city in the country after NYC.
I was just saying the cost of parking when going into Boston to play after hours. (assuming living outside the city).

Here's a great parking rate site.... I hope it can save you some money...
Compare Parking Rates - Daily/Monthly Boston Garages Lots Cheap Prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston