U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,380 times

Advertisements

Hi just moved to Boston I've heard there is a great bar scene here but having trouble finding "good" bars. I'm not a club guy but looking for sports bars/casual college bars etc. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks - Shawn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM

188 posts, read 471,342 times
Hey if you like sports try Mcgreevy's on boylston. Its right next to The PourHouse which is also good for sports. That whole strip there is full of bars that have specials on game nights. Also u can do the college student thing and hit up the Game On next to Fenway Park. Game On is huge! Theres a downstairs lounge type area as well. In Cambridge hit up Tavern in the Square. There is one in each square...meaning one in Central..Porter..and Harvard square and so on. Im a sports chick so i love going o the bars to watch a game. Its fun and lively

Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,898,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker7 View Post
Hi just moved to Boston I've heard there is a great bar scene here but having trouble finding "good" bars. I'm not a club guy but looking for sports bars/casual college bars etc. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks - Shawn.

http://www.fungwahbus.com/skins/skin.../header_03.gif

http://www.fungwahbus.com/FungWahIma..._ticket_15.gif

Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 6,576,513 times
What neighborhood are you in/looking to go out in? A "good" college bar means what, exactly?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,205 times
I agree with lovelife that McGreevys and generally anything on Boylston is solid. Also, you can't go wrong in Allston if you are looking for "college" bars. Boston actually has a good website for this [URL="http://www.massnightly.com"]www.massnightly.com[/URL] you can conduct searches by area or bar or if you were looking for a particular event it lists everything for you. Hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,380 times
Thanks lovelife I have heard good things about McGreevys and Boylston St. in general, looking forward to the Red Sox season. Katiemac I did go to that website and it actually was awesome so I very much appreciate the help. Cantabridgienne I'm in Jamaica Plain and I guess I'm looking nowhere specifically really just for a good, younger crowd (I'm 23) to watch sports and I like DJ/dancing etc. just in less of a "clubby" place if that makes sense. These guys helped so far with Boylston and that website but I haven't found anything local if your familiar with Jamaica Plain?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM

866 posts, read 2,508,281 times
smbaker, I'm not familiar with Jamaica Plain, but other places you might want to check out are the bars just north of Faneuil Hall: Bell In Hand, The Point, Paddy O'Malley's. There are a bunch of bars and taverns right there that are full of young people.

Also downtown, try Beantown Pub.

Other suggestions right outside of Back Bay Station are Clery's and Brownstone.

Good luck to you and enjoy!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM

613 posts, read 2,205,415 times
I'm not super familiar with JP, but check out Allston/Brighton. For sports bar places I recommend CitySides in Cleveland Circle, Tavern in the Square (corner of Harvard and Brighton Ave), Sunset Bar and Grill and Whitehorse on Brighton Ave in Allston (these last 3 are all within a block of each other). They have a college bar scene at night and get a big sports crowd when a game is on.

In Fenway, try Cask n' Flagon, Jerry Remy's or Boston Beer Works. Try Game On too, but it's not my favorite. There are a couple other bars down there too. For a college bar, An Tua Nua on Beacon near Kenmore is popular.

The North Station bars by the Garden always get a good crowd too, but it's not as much of a college scene.

I like the Pourhouse on Boylston St If it's really crowded, they have a downstairs that they open up.

Lots of 20 somethings at night in Fanueil Hall (ex. The Bell in Hand, McFaddens, etc). That's more for the Fri/Sat night scene.

But if you're looking for college bars, Allston/Brighton is the place to go. There's about 50 different bars to choose from. There are probably a few places in the Northeastern University zone on Huntington Ave/Symphony area

Pick up an issue of the Improper Bostonian, The Phoenix, or Stuff at Night for more ideas. They're free and found in those bins on the street.

Again, I don't know JP bars as well. It's less of a college area though. But there are some bars there (as well as the Sam Adams Brewery)

Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM

7,228 posts, read 6,576,513 times
The Milky Way in JP is fun. It's definitely one of the more diverse places in this city I've been to in terms of age, black/white, gay/straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston