U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,902 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have read several city data forum posts with great replies from the community concerning 'where to live' topics. My company has offered to relocate me and my family to the Boston area and I would like advice. I will try to give as much info as possible that might help. I have done a lot of internet research and have been to Boston and Cambridge before. A key factor will be shortening the commute as much as possible.

I would be working near the west end of the MIT campus near the Hyatt hotel on Memorial Drive. My wife and I are in our mid-thirties and have 1 child that will be 1 year-old at the time we relocate. We also have a small dog. We might also rent for 6-12 months before making a final move, but I am mainly looking for advice about our final move location.

Key points:
- Our budget is conservatively in the $550-650k range, we could go higher if something is spectacular
- short commute to my work and a daycare provider is the most important
- We would sacrifice a lot of house for a shorter commute - we could manage with 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, but would want a private ground level entrance, 1-2 car parking and need to consider storage (e.g. basement)
- We have toyed with the idea of living in a more urban setting like Cambridge or Somerville (or maybe Boston, just across the Charles?), but the neighborhood would need to be very safe (both perceived and in reality)
- We would ideally have some neighbors with kids and also parks in the area
- schools are not the highest priority for us in the next 5-10 years
- a close connection to the T or a short bus to the T would be nice
- More suburban areas I have researched are Arlington, Newton, and Medford

Any advice is much appreciated. I will be making more trips to the area but would like to know as much as possible beforehand.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,123,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginesummer View Post
- We would sacrifice a lot of house for a shorter commute - we could manage with 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, but would want a private ground level entrance, 1-2 car parking and need to consider storage (e.g. basement)
This one SEVERELY limits your options. Maybe Somerville right over the Cambridge line? You could still get a house on a tree lined street and still be within walking distance to the Red Line. If it were me though I'd go Arlington or Newton.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,902 times
Which part limits options, I am guessing the parking or storage (or both)? I definitely want the tree lined street and not a high-rise building.

I am curious what a driving commute would be from Arlington to the Hyatt hotel area at rush hour - it seems like it would be bad. The public transit commute looks like a walk/drive to alewife and the T and then either a walk the rest of the way or maybe the CT2 bus goes very close to the Hyatt.

I had generally not been looking south of Cambridge (even though Newton is), but came across Brookline last night. It looks extremely expensive, but seemed like a condo with parking and storage could be possible in our price range.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM

8,653 posts, read 20,266,087 times
Is Medford (near Tufts) on any of the T lines? Is it pretty drivable (not into Boston proper, but just around like to Galleria or even Quincy) w/o going on the highways? Is it a safe and nice place to live?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

7,228 posts, read 6,550,671 times
Medford is serviced by buses and a commuter rail line, but not the subway. Almost all bus lines terminate at a subway station, though.

It sounds like you should look on Google maps as well as the MBTA map to understand where the T goes and what the roads look like.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM

132 posts, read 520,574 times
As stated above, it's near commuter rail (in some parts) and several bus lines go to Medford Square. The 96 busline will get you into Harvard Square in 30-45 minutes depending on traffic, but you will still have to do some switching around to get out to MIT (additional time). It will also get you to Davis Square, where you can switch to the redline at an earlier point if you want to switch to the T.

There are some very nice (and expensive) areas of Medford to live in (Medford Square area, Lawrence Estates), and some slightly more run down areas -- nothing particularly dangerous, just a little shabbier/more crowded. 650K can get you a nice house in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston