Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 11,842 times

Advertisements

Hey folks.

I'm gonna be in Boston for about 6 months and would like to find a cheap and quiet gym around either the jfk/umass or copley area.

I want no frills i.e. only free weights and am not bothered about machines or treadmills or classes or any of that jazz. Cardio comes from outside the gym anyway.

I was wondering if you guys might have an suggestions as you're the experts and would know a lot more than me.

As I'm only here for a few months I don't want to lay down a big once off membership fee and would preferably have no annual contract but I realise the last one may not be realistic.

Thoughts? $70/month for Boston Sports Club for example seems really steep...

Last edited by Caoltan; 01-03-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
FYI - you're better providing neighborhoods/towns as opposed to zip codes on the Boston boards. You'll get more responses. I had to look up the zip codes. 02125 looks like parts of South Boston/Dorchester and 02116 looks like Back Bay.

You'll probably have much more luck in South Boston/Dorchester than in Back Bay. I know there is a Planet Fitness in that area (Neponset Ave?) It's more of no frills gym. Do a yelp search for gyms in South Boston or Dorchester. There are problem several small, basic gyms around that I just don't know about.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,928 times
The L Street recreation center is a good no frills place. I belonged there some time ago and it had no frills weights, heavy bags etc. That was a real bargain. I do not know its official name, but you find it at the terminus of L street when it goes into Dorchester Ave right at the water. It used to be called the L St Gym, or L St, bathhouse. Did not cost much as well.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Regan's Motivated Fitness is on West Broadway in Southie. Seems no frills with memberships starting at $35 monthly.

I think the L Street gym is officially called Curley Recreation Center. If a Mass. Resident, I think it's $80 or so annually?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:24 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,928 times
Boston Guy, Thanks for this and now I remember that you are correct. I started paying $20.00 per year, and now it is probably up to $80. Great old weight area, several heavy bags and lots of real gym space. They had some decent equipment there. I also used top play chess there on an occasional tuesday night. Not sure if they still have that. I can still be found on castle island in all weather walking the sugar bowl. That is a good walk.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM

56 posts, read 285,345 times
Curley Street is $70/year, $90/year if you want to be able to go to the rec classes. Curley Community Center~Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: