Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,774 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Boston in the next few months from Houston, TX. We are both young professionals in our mid-20's. We have been a little spoiled with the cheap housing in Houston and are just looking to rent in Boston. I will be working in Lynn, so we are considering looking somewhere in downtown Boston on the commuter rail or even up in Salem. I plan to use the rail to and from work. We are looking to spend about $1,500-$2,000/mo on an apartment, and would prefer a 2 BR over 1 BR, but that seems difficult in our price range in downtown at least. Any suggestions on a good neighborhood to look in, or a good website to search on? Oh one more thing, we are really big into cooking, so one of our stipulations in a rental is a decent kitchen. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Jefferson at Salem Station is next to Salem's commuter rail. It's modern and priced at the luxury level. You should be able to get a 1 BR for under $2,000. You can check their website.

In Lynn, the Diamond District near Lynn Shore Drive is nice. Check Craigslist and type in that name. Most of Lynn is troubled, but that area is attractive, only 10 minutes by car to Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's in Swampscott.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
No Trader Joe's in Swampscott.

They closed it a couple years ago and opened on Route 1 in Saugus.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM

79 posts, read 231,068 times
Most of Lynn isn't any more troubled than all of Boston, bostonguy1960. There is more crime going on in Boston than Lynn on a daily-basis, and that's a fact.

I live in Central Square where we moved a year ago and I have NEVER been bothered or felt threatened. I take the commuter train (often getting back with the last train), walk my child to school, walk the dog around, nothing.

srdrzdwsk, I lived in Austin for 3 years prior to relocating to the East coast 2 years ago, so I know what you mean when you said you were spoiled. Unless you are prepared to pay $3K for something comparable in terms of living space, in Boston, it's just not going to happen here.

On to the Lynn scoop: we currently live in a 2 bdr loft apartment in a building that once was a leather factory. It's a huge space for the Boston area and our rent is $1,400. The building is equipped with a security system in an area of Lynn aptly nicknamed Gayborhood. If I've learned anything in all my years relocating, it's to always follow the gay community because they'll Martha-Stewart the heck out of any neighborhood, as they have in Lynn. Everyone knows everyone here, and we all watch out for each other. It's a very tight, artistic, family-friendly, and very diverse community, which helped alleviate a lot of the concerns and apprehensions I first had when reading of Lynn on here. Most were WAY off!!! Also, unlike most of MA, Lynn isn't an all white area, but coming from TX, this won't shock you as it does many of the locals who never shy away from expressing their feelings about the Hispanic community "bringing down Lynn". I, for one, was pleasantly surprised and love the diversity.

Lynn is also a short 10-min walk to the Lynn/Nahant beach, and within a shorter distance to a grocery store, great restaurants and diners, Taquerias, a couple of nice bars, and pin bowling alley where leagues meet up almost every night (think The Big Lebowski remake). There are plenty of medical facilities, pharmacies, and a Walgreens a couple of blocks away from us. However, as is the case with most of the Boston area, you will need to drive to go shopping (clothes, etc.), because stores/malls all seem to be located off of highways here.

Lynn's commuter rail is IN Central Sq, so living around would mean you could probably walk to work, as does my husband who's work commute is a 5-min walk from home. The commuter rail from Lynn to North Station is a 20 min-ride, so not too big of a hassle if one of you has to get to Boston everyday.

I've moved 6 times in the last 7 years, so I'd highly recommend you visit, if only for a weekend, before moving or taking anyone's advice on a place. Better yet, call the police station of the city you're interested in and get the hard facts. Also, call the local pizza joint. If they don't deliver, you probably don't want to move there. For the record, we do get pizza in Lynn.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
How close is your work to Central Sq train stop in Lynn? There's a whole lot of Lynn very far from that stop and the buses are not too convenient. I used to try to use the system from North Station to Lynn, but the timing of buses and trains made a 40 minute commute into over two hours.

You probably will have to scale back your expectations for space in BOS. BOS is 4x as dense as HOU. That's good and bad. If you like a lively downtown, BOS is one of the best places in the US.

Central Sq may not be dangerous, but the T stop is frequently filthy, and the water at nahant beach is frequently blood red, but nonethless a nice oceanfront stroll. 107 was pretty scuzzy when I used to drive to Salem.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 AM

325 posts, read 486,578 times
I bought in Lynn, by the Lynn salem border. Best neighborhood I've ever lived in in my life. Very down to earth, blue collar people. Lynn is the city of sin but I really like it there... so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston