Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM

22 posts, read 102,284 times

Advertisements

Might be taking a work transfer and would be moving to the Boston area, I'll be working out of Logan airport (will not have to commute everyday) I will have my car too so easy parking is a must.

Looking at the Cambridge and East Medford area. I know Boston is not a huge city and not too far from the surrounding neighborhoods, but I still would like to be close to downtown (not 10 miles out of town) Would like to be in a walkable area that is more urban. Don't want to be living around all students but around the 30 and up crowd (single, married, no kids/kids,)

I am a SWF, late 30'ies, straight, no pet, no kids, looking to spend $1200 max..prefer a 1b but a studio is fine with me.

Any suggestions other than what I mentioned?

What is the avg size studio? and would $1200 be enough to afford a studio or small 1b? I have lived in a studio before 385sq ft. so I know what to expect.
Also, I can't seem to find any good apartment hunting sites, if you know of any please let me know.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightlightsBigCity View Post
Might be taking a work transfer and would be moving to the Boston area, I'll be working out of Logan airport (will not have to commute everyday) I will have my car too so easy parking is a must.

Looking at the Cambridge and East Medford area. I know Boston is not a huge city and not too far from the surrounding neighborhoods, but I still would like to be close to downtown (not 10 miles out of town) Would like to be in a walkable area that is more urban. Don't want to be living around all students but around the 30 and up crowd (single, married, no kids/kids,)

I am a SWF, late 30'ies, straight, no pet, no kids, looking to spend $1200 max..prefer a 1b but a studio is fine with me.

Any suggestions other than what I mentioned?

What is the avg size studio? and would $1200 be enough to afford a studio or small 1b? I have lived in a studio before 385sq ft. so I know what to expect.
Also, I can't seem to find any good apartment hunting sites, if you know of any please let me know.

thanks!
1200 max might not be enough, especially if you have to foot the bill fro utilities such as heat and hot water..

Most apts in Cambridge are 1400-1500 for a 1BR; studios will be slighlty less; you'll have better luck in Medford; other Boston neighborhoods near downtown like Beacon Hill and Back Bay are also very expensive....

Stay away from Boston neighborhoods like Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan, which have crime issues.

You might want to consider communities such as Watertown or Somerville. These neighboring cities might have a little more in your price range. Other towns, such as Brookline, Newton and Belmont, are quite nice and are near/on subway lines, but are generally more expensive...

Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM

22 posts, read 102,284 times
Thanks!
Medford, Watertown and Somerville seems to be the three I will focus on due to my price range!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightlightsBigCity View Post
Thanks!
Medford, Watertown and Somerville seems to be the three I will focus on due to my price range!
Also, I guess that I could mention East Boston, because of your job, although it really isn't all that nice. I'd skip it...

Don't rule out Newton, on multiple Green lines. It can be expensive, but even today there were 1BR apts going for 1300 on nice tree-lined streets. ( There is even a 2-3 BR in Newton going for 1200 (although apparently without heat/hot water).

Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,719,128 times
Newton is a bit too far out in my opinion to get to commute to Logan Airport. Parking is a bit of an issue for East Boston so I wouldn't look there either. I'd rather the O.P. look in Revere near the Blue Line or Lynn close to the Central Square. She'd avoid the chaotic rush hour traffic going through the tunnels connecting the airport to downtown Boston but still be close enough to public transportation that can get her into town quickly. Malden can also be a place to look at. Again, these places are not as good as Watertown or Somerville but more affordable and within the O.P.'s price range.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 PM

546 posts, read 1,370,693 times
Winthrop is right next door to the airport and may be more affordable as well as accessable to the T and easy drive. (cept during traffic hours)

Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,682 times
Cambridge has gotten very expensive. For $1200, it will be a lot easier to find decent properties in Medford.

You also might want to consider neighboring areas like Arlington, parts of Somerville, Watertown, and Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston