U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,010 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving to Boston and the beginning of October and need some advice on where to look for an appartment/condo/garden appartment. We are looking to rent a 2 bedroom, 1-2 bath to the West of Boston. Our budget is $1000-$1500/month. We won't need to go to the city often so we don't have to be very close, but we will need somewhere not too too far from 1-90 (this is *not* the most important criteria). Schooling is not a concern. We also have 2 cats. We are moving from Columbia, Maryland and have very little knowledge of the Boston area. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Last edited by persimmon; 09-02-2007 at 04:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 05:00 PM

5,776 posts, read 14,440,768 times
It's hard to narrow down possibilities, with your only criteria being the kind of housing you want and proximity to I-90 (Mass. Pike). The good thing is that this gives you lots of possibilities. Almost any town west of Boston will have at least a few housing options similar to what you're seeking. If you provide some details about what kind of community you'd prefer (more urban, suburban, or rural), how close to shopping you'd like to be, what kind of entertainment you'd like to have nearby, etc., it should be easier to narrow down. Here are a few possibilites to get you started:

Newton: immediately west of Boston; more densely populated than towns farther west, but still a residential town with many one-family houses (but also apartments and condos), and a very affluent town; has the population of a small city (80-90k), but is divided into separate areas, referred to locally as "villages," each with its own small shopping area; Mass. Pike passes through Newton, with several entry points in or very close to Newton.

Wellesley: affluent suburban town, a little south of the Mass. Pike, but only a short drive away; largely residential, with an upscale downtown area that has coffee shops and high-end clothing stores mixed in with a few stores needed for everyday convenience, like CVS.

Wayland: affluent town with a largely suburban character but also with some winding roads, and woods and fields; largely residential, with many single-family houses, and probably only a few options in the way of apartments or condos, but there are a few; less shopping right in Wayland than in the first two towns, but there is a small shopping area in the Cochituate section which has basic small stores, and Wayland is very close to big-mall shopping in the adjacent towns of Natick and Framingham; Mass. Pike entrance immediately west of Wayland.

Natick: Clean, pleasant town with neighborhoods that range from '50's suburban subdivision to older areas with classic architecture and big shade trees; close to Mass. Pike; attractive downtown area with small shops, and an arts and entertainment center, and big malls and lots of chain and "family dining" restaurants along the north side of town.

In addition to the Mass. Pike, Newton, Wellesley, and Natick have commuter rail, and Newton has a ground-level light-rail extension of Boston's subway system as well. Newton borders Boston, so is a quick trip away. The other three would each be approx. a half-hour drive from downtown Boston during hours with moderate traffic.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:04 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,542,346 times
It depends on what you want: do you want suburban/rural, rural, or more suburban/urban (closer to Boston)? If the latter is the case, the best metrowest suburbs for you, in my opinion:

Arlington, Somerville, Medford or Cambridge: quick and easy access to Boston.

Or, a bit further out: Lexington or Bedford.

For suburban/rural:

Stow, Concord, Acton, Littleton.

Check out apartments for rent on Craigslist, and feel free to ask questions. The folks on this forum are very nice and helpful.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,542,346 times
Wait: Wasn't paying attention to the budget. Lexington, Bedford, Concord, Wayland or Wellesley will probably be too expensive. Newton might, as well, but it's worth checking out. Natick is a very good possibility.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,010 times
Thank you guys for all of your suggestions!

Suburban/rural would probably be the best option, not completely rural, but a nice community with trees and grass. Having shopping close by would be nice, but not necessary... honestly I'm willing to take what I can get. I know that Boston is expensive, and that our budget is limiting, so I realize I'm not going to get a dream condo for what we can afford. We just need somewhere nice to live, for a few months at least, that isn't run down or in a bad neighbourhood. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:03 PM

630 posts, read 2,110,176 times
You may want to check Burlington, some of the apt's may be at the high end of your budget. Check craigslist, there appears to be housing that is within your budget.

I move in 6 weeks to Bedford and finding a place is really the first step in the process, other than having employment.

Best Wishes to you on your move

Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,991 times
I only have been in MA for several months.
You can try Watertown which is about 20-30 minutes away from Boston.
It's nice and friendly town. You might be able to find the place at your budget. Watertown has a lot of outcomer or shortstayer. They are all nice for outsider at beginner I think. Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,238 times
Try looking in Framingham. It's just off the Pike, easy access to Boston by train or car, and you should be able to find something in your price range there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston