Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,753 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the opportunity to relocate from NYC to Boston, my office will be across the street from South Station.
We are in our early 40s and have no children and no plans for children so school system is not important to us.
We currently live in Brooklyn NY and love the ease of access to the city and all that it has to offer, restaurants, nightlife, farmers markets, shopping etc.

We want to live somewhere that will be within 30-40 minutes commute to South Station, or a close T stop. We do not want to drive as part of our commute.

What are some neighborhoods we should look in where we could find a condo or townhouse in the 500K to 700K range?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Is that budget for a 1 bedroom or 2? If you just need 1 bedroom, I would buy (or rent for the first year) something within walking distance to your office. I'd look at South Boston, preferably the Seaport district. There are also 1 bedroom condos in your price range right in the financial district, but I wouldn't recommend living there. Not much to do after 6pm and half the restaurants are lunch-only spots.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM

41 posts, read 72,089 times
I think no one has responded to your post because your requirements are broad and non-specific. Most of Boston, Cambridge, Brookline and half of Somerville would meet your criteria. You may get more constructive feedback if you provide some additional details. Do you like a certain type of neighborhood - urban, semi-urban, suburban? Is a 1 or maybe small 2bd close to work preferable or are you willing to commute a bit further for a quieter atmosphere and more square footage?

Jamaica Plain, Cambridge and the Inman and Davis Square areas of Somerville have that low-rise neighborhood feel of Brooklyn and are close to the T, with Somerville being the furthest. South End and Back Bay are more densely populated so they are options if you want a more urban feel. South Boston is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and is trending toward more urban as time goes on, much to the consternation of the long-term residents. Many people like Brookline, which is close to the T and has some decent restaurants but is relatively quiet and residential. And there are many more that you could consider not mentioned.

I always recommend renting for a year to get a feeling for the area before committing to a condo/house purchase. Even the most dense areas of Boston are nothing like New York. If I were in your shoes and had your budget, I would rent a condo near work - Seaport, South End, Back Bay, etc. - and get to know the city and the feeling of each of the outlying neighborhoods and make a decision from there.

Last edited by shrinkberry; 08-20-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM

141 posts, read 205,639 times
I'd look in the Leather District which is right adjacent to South Station. There are some really great loft condos in those old buildings.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osric View Post
I'd look in the Leather District which is right adjacent to South Station. There are some really great loft condos in those old buildings.

Yeah, not much to look at on the outside, but inside, damn.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,753 times
Default More details

Thanks for the input so far.

More details, we definitely want an urban environment but would like some outside space (we have a terrace now) like a patio, terrace or deck.
We want a large 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom and we require 2 bathrooms.

We are open to renting for a year but honestly, at this point are not even sure where to rent so this is helpful.

We'd like to be able to walk to the grocery store and a variety of dinner restaurants but don't mind a train ride to other cultural activities. So we don't need to be right in the middle of everything but do want an established neighborhood I guess.

My concern about Cambridge areas like Davis Square and Somerville is that they are full of students. Do you think that is the case?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy518 View Post
My concern about Cambridge areas like Davis Square and Somerville is that they are full of students. Do you think that is the case?
I think you'll find more young professionals and grad students than you will 20 y/o undergrads.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Some suggestions for places to start per your criteria

Baker Chocolate Condominium on the Lower Dorchester / Milton Village boundary

Also, there are many beautiful townhomes along the Marina Bay, Quincy Shore Drive area of Quincy

Milton Village has restaurants and stores. I don't know Marina Bay as well. Perhaps, one of the Shore Shore C-Ders will add on.

South Boston may have townhomes in your range.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 PM

520 posts, read 775,800 times
I would recommend looking in some of the neighborhoods closer to Porter Square in Cambridge or Somerville. Once you get a feel for the different streets and neighborhoods you will find some cater more to students and others more to adults. Some of the neighborhoods have a very grown up feel to them. Generally, (although this is changing) you get more for your money in Somerville.

If you're going to work at South Station and want an easy, non-driving commute, you have two choices. You can either live within walking distance or near a Red Line stop. Everything else is going to involve transfers, commuter rails etc. and could be a hassle.

Everyone has their biases towards or against certain areas. I've never really appreciated anywhere the red line is going to take you South of South Station. I have friends that love living in Southie, but I never really saw the appeal. Same goes for most of Dorchester, Quincy etc. Again, that's just personal preference.

If you try to stay in Boston proper, your options will be pretty limited and your money won't go too far. I worked in the Leather District for a couple years and would be happy to never go back.

Going north into Cambridge, (I think) your prospects get much better. Kendall Square has some ok neighborhoods, but a lot of it feels more like a suburban office park. The area right around Central is quite young and can get a little rough, nothing too crazy. Harvard is an adolescent zoo. The next stop is Porter, see above and then Davis. Davis has some great neighborhoods but is also quite young, with some exceptions.

All of these places are about 20-25 minutes from south station.

Another area to check out is so called Dali-ville. Its on the boarder of Cambridge and Somerville, about a five or ten minute walk from the Harvard T, but a different world. It is centered around Dali, a Tapas restaurant.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM

596 posts, read 982,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy518 View Post
My husband and I have the opportunity to relocate from NYC to Boston, my office will be across the street from South Station.
We are in our early 40s and have no children and no plans for children so school system is not important to us.
We currently live in Brooklyn NY and love the ease of access to the city and all that it has to offer, restaurants, nightlife, farmers markets, shopping etc.

We want to live somewhere that will be within 30-40 minutes commute to South Station, or a close T stop. We do not want to drive as part of our commute.

What are some neighborhoods we should look in where we could find a condo or townhouse in the 500K to 700K range?

Thanks in advance.

We moved to the Kendall Square area (from L.I.) a few months ago, and I f'in love it so far! Yes there are a lot of office buildings in the area, but there are also a lot of people who live in the area and there is a lot going on. The other squares also have their charms, but from Kendall Square you can also easily walk to much of Boston (Beacon Hill, Back Bay, North End, etc.). You might be able to find a 2 bedroom condo in a newer building near the top of your price range, but right now there is not a huge selection. Renting might be a better option initially. A 2 bedroom in a decent building will be about 3K per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston