Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you commute 1 hour- 1 hour and a half via train for work?
Yes, I do or have in the past 11 37.93%
Yes, I never have but I would consider it 5 17.24%
No, I'm not a masochist 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:42 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times

Advertisements

Is this normal? Do other people do this? YES as I talk to many friends and family members over the years. Lotta time out of the day taken to travel. My brother in law is on a train for 1 hour and 40 minutes each day where he naps. It is a sad trend in my eyes, but has become the norm for many. I wish you luck on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:30 AM

235 posts, read 510,487 times
No, I wouldn't do it. My DH used to commute on the commuter rail over 1hr each way and it was awful for him, for me, and for us. It took him 20 mins to get to a commuter rail station, then another hour on the train, then about 10 minutes on the T. Thankfully he got a new job closer to home right before our DS1 was born because there was NO WAY he could have kept up that commute and still seen our son on a daily basis. The 1.5hrs also assumes all the trains are on time, no delays, no accidents, etc. This seemed to happen less and less frequently!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM

16 posts, read 41,682 times
I commuted 2 hrs door to door each way on commuter train and subway for 4 years - it was hell and only did it in order to live at home and save money. I didn't have an I-Pad and think if I did it would have made the commute a little more bearable (watch fave tv shows on the ride home). So for me, an hour would be nothing.....

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
for me anything over 30 mins is too much, if its a 30 min commute, your spending an hour a day for nothing, or about 5 hours a week. I would much rather live closer, in a smaller place, pay more rent. the money i save from gas/commuting would be similar to the rent i will be paying if i lived far away from my job.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
If you are close to a Boston Express line, they have wifi and coffee, and make it very nice (I was 5 minutes from one, and lived on 41 acres on a lake). Takes about an hour to get to Cambridge MA, if traffic is bad. The best of both worlds... lived in tranquil peace in the woods, yet could get to MIT or Boston in a reasonable amount of time. I didn't wear out the cars, and could do work on the commute, both ways.
The SO worked easily as long hours, so neither of us minded (though her commute was a lot shorter).

Old 01-25-2012, 06:52 PM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
It seems most of the affordable yet safe areas in Boston are somewhat far by train to downtown.

I'm looking at starting my career soon, and many of the local firms in my field are located either in the Copley area or Park Street area.

From my current apartment which I love and adore, I would have to leave home anywhere from 1 hour or 1 hour and a half before work in order to get to either Copley or Park Street via Train.

Is this normal?

Do other people commute this long?

I have a vehicle, but I hear parking in those areas is $30 a day, which adds up to an unreasonable $600 per month.

Tell me about your commute or past commutes that you survived and/or enjoyed.
I commute from Lynn to Cambridge everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston