Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 16,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I think you'll find Natick to be a bit on the far end for your commute desire, and it might not fit some of the other criteria that well either. Newton is definitely a good choice. Of the communities you listed, you might also want to take another look at Needham, which is fairly similar to Newton, but served by commuter rail rather than light rail.

Aside from those two, you should also consider expanding the search. Others have suggested Brookline, and I completely agree with that, assuming it's within your price range. Something else to consider is Boston, but this depends a bit on your daughter. Public education in Boston is a mixed bag. There are very good opportunities for the right student, but it takes some doing on your part to access them. If your daughter is an accelerated learner with strong study habits, she might be able to test in to one of the exam schools. If she so, she would be able to attend one of the best high schools in the country.
HenryAlan: Newton's definitely in the lead. Thanks!

mdovell: It's complicated, but yes, it most certainly does. The good ones aren't a good fit for our family and/or our budget. I saw that it looks like they're stopping the ferry service. So sad! Test scores helped shape our list and we picked MA based on the fact that our legal CA marriage carries over!

Harper2012: Congrats! We took a road trip to Portland last summer and I still dream about the food, which is saying something for a born-and-raised San Franciscan! That part will take some getting used to, I imagine, for all of us. Good luck to you as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 AM

18,647 posts, read 33,216,650 times
In a word, consider... Arlington, especially East Arlington/Center. Bus a few minutes to Harvard Sq and the Red Line. People move to Arlington when they can't afford Cambridge. The difference just crossing Rt. 16 is amazing, for instance, your car insurance goes right way down from Cambridge.
I think the area is very family-friendly and certainly cosmoplitan enough- good restaurants and a great Art Deco movie place.
Of course, if one can afford Newton, that might be best. Renting with dogs can be a big issue. Best wishes.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 PM

8,527 posts, read 13,919,634 times
There's been a lot of talk in here about the various towns on your list and I think Needham was unfairly and quickly discounted. I don't know when the last time Cato was in Needham but it's not as suburban as it once was. There are plenty of good restaurants and shops in town and lots of commuter rail stops that go directly into South Station. I'm not sure where Needham gets this sleepy/suburban reputation from (which I've only experienced on this website). Having lived in Newton Center it reminds me of that area quite a bit except MUCH cheaper. Plus, it's a 10 minute ride to all the shopping in Natick/Framingham. Newton is great but personally I find Needham to be a friendlier place. Plus Needham has a Trader Joes!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,443,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
There's been a lot of talk in here about the various towns on your list and I think Needham was unfairly and quickly discounted. I don't know when the last time Cato was in Needham but it's not as suburban as it once was. There are plenty of good restaurants and shops in town and lots of commuter rail stops that go directly into South Station. I'm not sure where Needham gets this sleepy/suburban reputation from (which I've only experienced on this website). Having lived in Newton Center it reminds me of that area quite a bit except MUCH cheaper. Plus, it's a 10 minute ride to all the shopping in Natick/Framingham. Newton is great but personally I find Needham to be a friendlier place. Plus Needham has a Trader Joes!
I think someone forgot to take their medication. I was in Needham last weekend to take my son to the cupcake bar. Now when was the last time you were in the Mission or Noe Valley? If you reread my post, I gave a strong recommendation for Needham. However, I qualified it by saying, "it might tip you into the "too suburban" category." This is hardly unfair or a quick dismissal, especially since I used the subjunctive and it's a relative comparison anyway with neighborhoods in SF that are decidedly less suburban. No, Needham is not Acton or Lincoln, but it's pretty much the description of suburban, town center and all.

BTW, how do you become less suburban? It's outside 128, so it's not even an inner burb, it's over 90% white, it's mainly a bedroom community for commuters into the city, and what little industrial activities that took place has declined since WWII, Coca Cola and Trader Joe's plants and all. I know you and kmann regularly troll these boards for new clients, but this is not the way to do it.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM

325 posts, read 484,509 times
The advantage of small lesbians is that they fit neatly into overhead storage compartments.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM

8,527 posts, read 13,919,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
I think someone forgot to take their medication.
I was very calm when writing this post. The one thing I dislike about how common written communication has become (discussion forums, text messages, emails, etc) is that it's often impossible to judge tone. This being said I will be very clear that I find your accusing me of being an internet troll quite offensive. However, as you read the rest of my response please be clear that I am not being defensive nor am I angry as I write this.

Quote:
I was in Needham last weekend to take my son to the cupcake bar. Now when was the last time you were in the Mission or Noe Valley? If you reread my post, I gave a strong recommendation for Needham. However, I qualified it by saying, "it might tip you into the "too suburban" category." This is hardly unfair or a quick dismissal, especially since I used the subjunctive and it's a relative comparison anyway with neighborhoods in SF that are decidedly less suburban. No, Needham is not Acton or Lincoln, but it's pretty much the description of suburban, town center and all.
I do not know the San Francisco area at all and I apologize for singling you out. It was not my intention to say you were dismissing Needham but I did feel you were qualifying it as too suburban unfairly when you look around and see towns in the area like Weston, Lincoln, etc. that are extremely suburban. Also, I feel the town of Needham has transformed quite a bit in the last 20 years.

Quote:
BTW, how do you become less suburban? It's outside 128, so it's not even an inner burb, it's over 90% white, it's mainly a bedroom community for commuters into the city, and what little industrial activities that took place has declined since WWII, Coca Cola and Trader Joe's plants and all.
First, the town is on 128 in fact there are 3 exits along 128 that are Needham exits. Is it on the outside edge of 128? Yes. Are you splitting hairs with that distinction in this case. Yes. Has industrial activity declined in this town? Yes. Has it declined all over the state? Yes. I'm not sure what you're getting at there. The town however is home to a good size office park and strides are being made to increase the amount of commercial space in town especially in the office park. Do a lot of people commute into Boston from Needham? Sure, but that's because it's EASY to get from Needham to Boston. That same easy access is good for recreational use of the city's ammenities as well. Also, yes the town is nearly 90% white according to City Data. But I'm not going to tell someone they can't live here or that they shouldn't enjoy the same quality of life other people do simply because they don't fit into the racial make up of the town. Having lived in Newton Center for 10 years I feel most parts of Needham have a very similar feel to that area with the exception that I find the people of Needham to be more friendly. People have block parties during the summer and some neighborhoods have email newsletters.

Quote:
I know you and kmann regularly troll these boards for new clients, but this is not the way to do it.
This I found quite offensive. I guess you've never seen my posts in the real estate forums of this site. Do you think I'm going to get clients in NH, TN, CA, or where ever those people are posting from? I'm on here being helpful. I apologize if the passion I have for my hometown and the general area in which I live comes off as trolling in your eyes. I also try to stick to answering questions that I actually know the answer to (something not too common on the internet). I don't answer questions about Amherst because I don't know anything about Amherst not because I don't want clients looking in Amherst (although I don't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston