Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 AM

7 posts, read 56,550 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am an Italian guy and in May I'm gonna move from Sweden to US. My company has one site in Waltham (Boston) and another in Willmington (Phildelphia) and I have to decide where to stay.
It's a really difficult choice for me because I have some friends in Willmington (so it would be easier for me to live there) but I've heard such good things about Boston!
I just want to be sure that there are things to do and that would be easy to meet people that are not ice-cold like the Sweds!
What do you think?

Last edited by pamporo; 01-23-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:14 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
I have lived in boston and philadelphia before, and weather wise i would choose philly, cost of living - philly. crime wise- boston is safer. location wise- philly (2 hrs to nyc, 3 to dc). public transportation (subway) - boston. economy- boston.

as far as social life, it all depends on you. if your outgoing, it dont matter where you live. philly has 1.5 mil people and boston has 600k. I would say in both cities, i had fun and went to bars/clubs. I would choose delaware if i was you. the cost of living in the boston area is insanely high.

If money was not an issue at all, i would choose boston. I want to move back but then i have to struggle.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM

123 posts, read 176,708 times
It depends on where you go. Boston doesnt have the cold people that Sweden has, but many people can get hot headed here. Going to bars and clubs alone is boring. Many people move from other areas of the US and world to come to Boston. Its hard to become friends with someone in a bar so dont limit yourself. (Although your accent, you may not have much of a problem Since its hard to meet people in real life outside of work, many people search for interests on meetup or sites like that to %o to events to meet like minded people. Ive had success with this.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:38 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Bostonians are definitely a lot like the ice cold Swedes.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamporo View Post
Hi! I am an Italian guy and in May I'm gonna move from Sweden to US. My company has one site in Waltham (Boston) and another in Willmington (Phildelphia) and I have to decide where to stay.
It's a really difficult choice for me because I have some friends in Willmington (so it would be easier for me to live there) but I've heard such good things about Boston!
I just want to be sure that there are things to do and that would be easy to meet people that are not ice-cold like the Sweds!
What do you think?
Lots of drunk whores in pink red sox hats screaming and puking on the sidewalk.

Last edited by Weird Tolkienish Figure; 01-25-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 06:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
as far as social life, it all depends on you. if your outgoing, it dont matter where you live. philly has 1.5 mil people and boston has 600k. I would say in both cities, i had fun and went to bars/clubs. I would choose delaware if i was you. the cost of living in the boston area is insanely high.

If money was not an issue at all, i would choose boston. I want to move back bu
Really I didn't know it was that easy. I thought it was necessary to have (and display) lots of wealth, drive the right car and wear the right fashions (more so in boston than anywhere else). Most who live in Boston are young and decedents of the top 1% of income earners

Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Not at all- that's a stereotype.
In Boston, there might be more well-off college student people around BU, especially in a bar scene. In fact, "old money" doesn't wear it or drive it. If you see any flash, it's new money or credit. Also, Boston is famous for being unstylish (except in comparison to Cambridge).
Philly is much more humid, cheaper and much much more crime. Are you talking about Wilmington, DE, or New Jersey?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 AM

474 posts, read 495,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamporo View Post
What do you think?
Boston is mostly about stereotypes, there's a stereotype that Italians are good lovers and that Italian is a romantic language over here, so you can use that to your advantage and you will be swarmed by people who would think you are a living incarnation of Leonardo di Caprio, also there is a huge population of Italians living in Boston, so use it to your advantage.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 56,550 times
Wilmington DE. Well, Boston doesn't seem so bad after all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston