U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM

14,493 posts, read 19,424,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I disagree with the move to Medford advice because I think it would be more boring/suburban for a young person than Somerville or Cambridge.

That said, the rental budget you state will get you something fairly nice in a roommate situation. Living alone, you will definitely be on the higher end of your budget and it may not be what you are expecting for the price.

Don't leave a car full of visible stuff anywhere, no matter how nice the neighborhood.
I'm a 24 year old who lives with two 23 year olds in Medford. The immediate area is more boring, but we can afford a MUCH nicer place that in Somerville or Cambridge and we're either a 30 minute walk from Davis or a 15 minute bus ride (or even shorter drive!). For the lowered cost of living, we can afford to pay for a cab rather than stumble home late at night.

Not to mention that there is a lot going on in Medford center. I would never suggest someone young live on the other side of the Mystic, but the areas of Medford on the Tufts side are very young - just young and frugal!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM

7,228 posts, read 6,462,434 times
Good point. It's just a matter of pros and cons for the OP to consider (same as having roommates vs not having roommates).

Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM

914 posts, read 1,716,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Hey all, I am moving to Somerville, MA. I have never been here before and was hoping I could get some info on which areas I should avoid and where I may be able to find affordable, nice apartments?

I am a young female professional and I know it's so stereotypical, but I want to feel safe walking around. My car is also going to be full of my stuff while I stay at a hotel and search for a place to live, so I don't want it broken into. So any tips on which areas I should definitely avoid would be great.

Also, I will be working in Somerville not too far from the mall, according to Google Maps. I have a car and don't want a long commute to work everyday, but I'd live in Cambridge or around Somerville if necessary. Where might I find affordable apartments? I'd prefer a one-bedroom and I am not a student.

Lastly (sorry), I read that Somerville is one of the densest cities in the country. I read that and think, "most traffic congestion and worst parking situation in the country." Anything I need to know about having a car up there?

Thank you in advance! And if this belongs in the general Massachusetts forum, let me know! Thanks!
I lived in Somerville, I love Somerville, I would do ANYTHING to get back there. MOVE TO SOMERVILLE!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM

306 posts, read 654,988 times
Thanks all for the input. I have one major question -- how bad is the traffic during morning commute time? I have seen some decent places around Medford and those surrounding communities, but when Google Maps tells me it's a 15-minute drive, I'm inclined to think Google is lying. To get to the Assembly Square area of Somerville, are we talking gridlock congestion in the morning? I hope the population are students commuting and walking to school, but surely there are people with cars working in Somerville too!

Also, I have to be honest, I enjoy the suburbs and I will be working in "downtown" Somerville so I think I'll get the best of both worlds. When I got this job, I was a little disappointed to see how dense Somerville is. I already lived in a huge city without a car and I found simple tasks exhausting. I am young and will hopefully (assuming I manage to make some friends in an unfamiliar city) go to bars and restaurants. But that doesn't seem out of reach from Medford, Malden, Revere, etc.

I've reconsidered my hope to live alone, not just for cost but with the hope that maybe I can click and have someone to hang out with. I know absolutely no one in the area and co-workers can be pretty hit or miss. Cambridge seems lovely, but too expensive and I'd rather have just one, maybe two rommates, not six. So if anyone needs a 20-something gay lady roommate, let me know.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM

132 posts, read 515,205 times
There are some pretty direct and easy routes from Medford to Assembly Square Mall, it's not going to be that bad. 15-20 minutes barring crappy weather which can equal crappy traffic.

Probably the most annoying part will be if you are driving through Medford Square itself, which is one giant tangled one-way street that loops around on itself, and which can result in you sitting irritably in traffic on Forest or Governor's or Main Street, waiting while people inch their way through the lights. Once you are past that knot, it gets easier.

I can't speak to the commute time from Revere at all, but Malden also probably won't be so bad, if you are living near the Medford border.

ETA: I don't really think of Assembly Square Mall as a student area, but perhaps I am wrong. My memories of it have it as more of a run down sort of strip mallish place, that people would drive to, as opposed to places like Ball Square, Davis Square, Powderhouse Square, which have students living and walking to school and a lot of foot traffic.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,847,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I disagree with the move to Medford advice because I think it would be more boring/suburban for a young person than Somerville or Cambridge.
I disagree because of the proximity of Medford to Tufts/Davis and also access into the city for other 'fun'.

But what is important for the OP - you have to visit the neighborhoods yourself and see what works for you. Look in Somerville near Davis for the most 'action' (but highest rents) and then look at Medford west of I-93 towards Tufts.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:54 PM

8,601 posts, read 20,092,235 times
My son and I just bought a two family house near the new green line in Medford. So I am anxious to read up on everything that I can about my new area. I am still living in California now. Does anyone know of anything I can read that will tell me more about this area? I do have lots of books about Boston itself & even a brand new Senior Charlie Card. (You have to be a senior to even know why they call it a "Charlie Card". )

Is Wellington where the terminus is for the Gateway Center? It looks too far to walk from there to the stores (Target and all). Is the driving very tricky there with those round-abouts that are there? I usually like to do a lot of shopping for large items at Target and Costco so I would rather drive. Thanks for any help.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM

132 posts, read 515,205 times
You can physically walk from Wellington to the Gateway Center, (I have seen people doing it) but I would not want to. It's not very close and it is an incredibly high traffic area, without a lot of safe crossings, and not a pleasant walk. I have also seen a bus dropping people off at the Target in the Center, so I think there is a better way. Still, it is not pedestrian friendly. I would drive if you have that option.

The roundabouts are a bit tricky but fine once you figure out which leg will take you where. They are better than what they replaced in that area.

The Costco is a nice one, and the Target just blew out a wall and expanded to add a produce/grocery section. There is also a Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, Pet Smart, two restaurants, and a handful of other shops there. On the other side of the rotary is a Best Buy, plus another strip mall across the bridge in Medford, and Station's Landing right next to Wellington with a Not Your Average Joe's, Regina's Pizza, FedEx office, etc. It's a high traffic/commerce area.

You know the green line isn't there yet, right? It's still projected to be a few more years, and that's without taking into account the current MBTA budget fiasco and all the cutbacks they have proposed.

Medford has some very nice areas though.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 PM

8,601 posts, read 20,092,235 times
Yes, I know that the new green line is not here yet. I hope that they will build it as promised, though.

Sorry about The Pats.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 PM

97 posts, read 176,182 times
The area might have changed, but East Somerville would not be as safe as Davis Square. While Davis Sq. has gotten much more comfortable, you should still use caution there at night as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>