Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 08:21 PM

367 posts, read 620,990 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm planning a trip to Boston with my wife in June. Aside from hotel and flight, how much money should I think about bringing along?

We will probably have one "nice" meal but other than that, just as much real local food as possible. We will more than likely drink our share as well.

We will probably do some shopping, but nothing to serious.

Maybe take in some museums (any recommendations?).
I am a history nut...

How much do the museums typically cost?

Best pubs we should go see?

Best local eateries?

Best fine dining?

And finally, what part of the city would you suggest we stay?

Many Thanks,

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM

8,541 posts, read 13,961,275 times
I love the back bay/Copley Square area of the city. If your budget is generous, I highly recommend the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel. A beautiful old hotel right in the heart of Copley Square. You'll be surrounded by wonderful shopping, restaurants, and you'll have easy access to public tranportation and the highway. Plus, they have a wonderful restaurant in the hotel called the Oak Room. Outside the restaurant is the Oak Bar which in my opinion serves some of the best martinis in the city.

If you're a big beer drinker, take a ride on the orange line out to the Stoneybrook stop and take a FREE tour of the Sam Adams Brewery. Also, don't forget your concierge is a great resource for suggestions of things to do/places to see.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Thank you.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,808,033 times
Museum admissions are on their website (Google please). Some have free days if that works on your itinerary.

Most places take credit cards - even most cabs do nowadays. You'd only need cash for mom & pop eateries and small purchases.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM

Thank you.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 PM

97 posts, read 190,313 times
Definitely do the Freedom Trail, and a ferry ride is nice too. Visit one of the Museums: Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Gardner Stewart or the Museum of Science. While there take in an Omni film. I hope that helps.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM

Museums cost around $15 each on average.

Pizzeria Regina in the North End, Legal Seafoods and other local establishments are a good bet. If on a budget, then I recommend Ernesto's on Salem St. in the North End as well.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,153,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern-Mike View Post
Definitely do the Freedom Trail, and a ferry ride is nice too. Visit one of the Museums: Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Gardner Stewart or the Museum of Science. While there take in an Omni film. I hope that helps.
The Omni IMAX theatre is awesome, but most of the films they show are quite outdated (from the 1990s, with a few exceptions). This is pretty much the case for the whole museum, sadly, and I would never go there unless you had kids.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Hello:

I'm planning a trip to Boston with my wife in June. Aside from hotel and flight, how much money should I think about bringing along?

We will probably have one "nice" meal but other than that, just as much real local food as possible. We will more than likely drink our share as well.

We will probably do some shopping, but nothing to serious.

Maybe take in some museums (any recommendations?).
I am a history nut...
As a fellow history buff, NOTHING is better than Boston's Freedom Trail. It is unto itself truly the best museum in Boston and except for perhaps a few in NYC and DC, the best historical experience in North America. The gravestones in the Old Granary and King's Chapel are like from another world. The Blackstone Block has pubs open since the 1700's. Worth a drink just to be part of the tradition. Stay somewhere near the Freedom Trail and you'll have everything at your doorstep.

The MFA is one of the ten best museums in the country - it's great - an all day affair. Only DC and NYC have I seen significantly better. Isabella Gardner is also nice for an hour and it's right down the street from the MFA. Skip the MOS - junk. Harvard Museums - eh. Only if yer in Harvard Sq anyways.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
The Omni IMAX theatre is awesome, but most of the films they show are quite outdated (from the 1990s, with a few exceptions). This is pretty much the case for the whole museum, sadly, and I would never go there unless you had kids.
I recently visited the Museum of Science, they updated a real lot of their exhibits. It is not the same museum that it used to be. Most of everything is brand new!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston