Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 20,659 times

Advertisements

We live out of state and our daughter and three roommates will be juniors and are looking for an apartment. We've seen a number of listings online for Greenwich St. and Sussex St., off of Tremont St., behind Ruggles T stop. Does anyone know if this area is safe, especially at night? We're not familiar at all with this section of Boston. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,433,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momwhofan View Post
We live out of state and our daughter and three roommates will be juniors and are looking for an apartment. We've seen a number of listings online for Greenwich St. and Sussex St., off of Tremont St., behind Ruggles T stop. Does anyone know if this area is safe, especially at night? We're not familiar at all with this section of Boston. Thanks!
So so. Not so great. Lots of cop action, lots of stuff going on. Rarely involves college students. Mostly quality of life issues, not danger. Noise, trash, ghettoish, car alarms, smash and grabs. It's not fabulous like the Back Bay, nor is it quiet (at all) like a suburb. Tremont St is very noisy and Slade's Bar is noisy as late as 3am on weekends. I lived there for 7 years.

If you think you're getting a bargain, there's a reason. You get what you pay for. If the kids want to live a taste of the ghetto experience, they will. Personally, I think it was a great experience, plus the convenience to everything is hard to beat. A little grit tends to save a lot of dough.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,401,326 times
Quote:
Terrible Area, I used to work that area a lot. I didn't like being there during the day. It's basically projects and subsidized apt bldgs everywhere. If they want the general area tell them to look in Mission Hill. The closer to Brigham circle the better. You don't want to get any closer to Roxbury xing than you have to. South End is no better. There is a nice section on like 2 block of Tremont and Columbus. But it's still Roxbury.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 20,659 times
Thanks to snatale1 and xS Befor the quick replies. I've got the appt. set up already, so I guess I should look at it anyway.

What about the homes on Parker St., near the Roxbury Crossing T stop? I've been told this area has lots of students and is safe. Yes?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,402,986 times
Quote:
Just say no. I used to live in the Douglass Park apartments, next to the Piano Factory. I would not recommend going any further west down Tremont.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,433,416 times
Quote:
Thanks to snatale1 and xS Befor the quick replies. I've got the appt. set up already, so I guess I should look at it anyway.

What about the homes on Parker St., near the Roxbury Crossing T stop? I've been told this area has lots of students and is safe. Yes?
Safeish is the best I'd bet. Driven through 100+ times. I rarely walked there. Mild sense of revulsion. Never saw any real trouble. Had a friend who lived there - handsome smart 20 something AA guy - he hated it. It's an area of mixed mostly lower incomes, a patch of once scary projects not so big a deal now, Boston Police HQ, filthy empty parking lots, and the schools (Wentworth and Northeastern).

Let me get specific for you. My suggestion about that neighborhood. It's okay to rent anything on the west side of Tremont or west and north of Ruggles. Neither of those two places meet my criteria. And frankly, I doubt when you get there that you will even go into the neighborhood. It's not pretty. If you're real streetwise you can deal but the average midwestern mom ain't gonna like it. I only went there when I was feeling pretty macho. Generally Sunday AM to buy milk at Izzy's cuz I was too lazy to go Giovanni's.

I generally assumed when I saw college kids going down those areas they were just going there to buy pot.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,656,203 times
Quote:
I wouldn't live there - as many have already stated - but that is, by no means, Roxbury Crossing, which is surrounded by perfectly fine neighborhoods like Parker and Fort Hills. In either of those neighborhoods your daughter would be just fine. Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 AM

49 posts, read 157,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Safeish is the best I'd bet. Driven through 100+ times. I rarely walked there. Mild sense of revulsion. Never saw any real trouble. Had a friend who lived there - handsome smart 20 something AA guy - he hated it. It's an area of mixed mostly lower incomes, a patch of once scary projects not so big a deal now, Boston Police HQ, filthy empty parking lots, and the schools (Wentworth and Northeastern).

Let me get specific for you. My suggestion about that neighborhood. It's okay to rent anything on the west side of Tremont or west and north of Ruggles. Neither of those two places meet my criteria. And frankly, I doubt when you get there that you will even go into the neighborhood. It's not pretty. If you're real streetwise you can deal but the average midwestern mom ain't gonna like it. I only went there when I was feeling pretty macho. Generally Sunday AM to buy milk at Izzy's cuz I was too lazy to go Giovanni's.

I generally assumed when I saw college kids going down those areas they were just going there to buy pot.
I agree with this. In fact, I'll say that anywhere east of St.Alphonsus along Tremont is already looking pretty sketchy. Although I've walked this area many times, I've never actually lived around there. So if someone told me it's safer than it looks, then I'd have no reason to doubt it. But I still wouldn't want my kids living anywhere near Roxbury Crossing. Brigham Circle is perfectly fine with tons of students and medical people. But you have to understand that it goes from good to sketchy real fast as you head east down Tremont St away from Brigham Circle.

For your daughter, why don't you focus more on places like Fenway or Brookline instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston