Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm making plans to move to Boston, there are a few job opportunities out there for me right now and I want to see what exactly is available in Boston apartment/neighborhood wise. I'm going to be there a minimum of 3 years so I would like a place where I can stay for a while and be comfortable. Also I will be working about 60 to 80 hours a week, so I want a place that my wife can be safe while I'm gone but also feel comfortable to go out at night.

We will have 50 - 60K to work with pretax, I think 1200 to 1500 is reasonable to pay monthly. The apartment would hopefully have an in building (in unit would be better) washer and dryer, a dishwasher, proximity to the redline, and proximity to some food shopping destination. Its important whether or not you think this is feasible on this salary, the wife will work a little to supplement but she is going back to school for a couple years. If someone could suggests neighborhoods or apartments that would be awesome, if someone could suggest if we could manage on this income that would be awesomer :P.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
On the Red Line, your money will go farthest in Quincy and Braintree, especially in terms of space (and things like in-unit laundry). If you don't mind a suburban location and a longer commute (busy at rush hour, having to wait for a Braintree train from downtown instead of an Ashmont train), this is also probably the safest area along the Red Line.

Farther north along the Red Line (say, Ashmont to JFK-UMass), you can live closer to downtown at a relatively affordable price compared to the rest of Boston, but safety might be more of a concern. These aren't really the kind of neighborhoods where people often go out at night to walk to restaurants etc. As you get closer to downtown, things suddenly become much more expensive (beyond your budget).

North of downtown (in Cambridge), there are a lot of great, lively neighborhoods to live in, but you'd definitely get less for your money than you would on the southern side of the Red Line. The other problem with the Red Line in Cambridge is that there's a definite lack of affordable supermarkets (the best you could do is the Shaw's near Porter Square).

Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
50-60k IN Boston on public transit is unrealistic. As it's been said you want the burbs. Braintree, Quincy have the Red Line, but it will still be tight on 60k. Per a cost of living calculator I just did Boston is 221% higher as far as cost of living. If you make 60k now in Philly it would have to increase to 85k to equal the same pay here.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 05:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston