Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,429 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to attend master's program in Boston College this fall.
My wife and I want to permanently relocate to Boston area, and want to buy a house.
Our budget for the house is about $400K-500K, in a safe neighborhood with at least a small backyard.
I have been looking at zillow.com for a past couple of days, but it would be really helpful if you guys can help me out too.
If I were to rank the order of importance:
1. Safety
2. Abundant living area (at least 1400sq ft, with a backyard)
3. Closeness to Boston College
4. Closeness to Boston

Thanks for help in advance everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times
Perhaps West Roxbury, an outlying neighborhood of Boston. Not much diversity, as it's still primarily white, although some lower income buildings on Washington St. Not many newer homes.

It's quite safe, and near lots of shopping on Rt. 1 in Dedham. It's about 5 miles to Longwood Medical Area and Fenway Park. Catholic Memorial high school is prominent. Center St. has its own little shopping area. Has a branch library.

Arnold Arboretum is a quick drive for for strolling.

It could take up to 30 minutes driving to BC at morning rush even though it's not too far.

I think most of Newton would fall out of your price range; however, the Nonantum section isn't that fancy and multi-family homes may be an option. Adjacent Watertown may also be worth a look. Roslindale is a Boston neighborhood next to West Roxbury which has some nice sections as well as not-as-nice areas, but a decent "downtown" nowadays.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,865,897 times
The closer to the school the better. The closer to public transportation the better. Newton has many neighborhoods.

" The 13 villages are: Auburndale, Chestnut Hill, Newton Centre, Newton Corner, Newton Highlands, Newton Lower Falls, Newton Upper Falls (both on the Charles River, and both once small industrial sites), Newtonville, Nonantum (also called "The Lake"), Oak Hill, Thompsonville, Waban and West Newton."

LINK

In the other direction are Melrose, Arlington, and Watertown.

Make sure you have adequate off street parking as street parking is banned during snow storms.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM

8,524 posts, read 13,896,762 times
You could definitely find something in certain villages of Newton that you would like. Aside from Nonantum, Oak Hill also has some housing in your price range. You could maybe find something in the falls. I sold a house in the Highlands a year or two ago in the mid-$400k range. It was on a side street near the Eliot T stop but it was right next to route 9.

I would advise staying out of W. Roxbury. Nothing against this area, but it's part of the Boston school system which overall is not well though of. When real estate values take a dive areas with weaker school systems tend to suffer more. Also, if you're thinking of having kids you'll probably want to move when they reach school age anyway unless you want to spend thousands of dollars sending them to private school.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 7,429 times
Thanks everyone. I will probably have to plan a trip sometime in mid-May to look at some houses. West Newton seems to be a decent place. Any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,396,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayskrg View Post
Hello everyone.

I'm planning to attend master's program in Boston College this fall.
My wife and I want to permanently relocate to Boston area, and want to buy a house.
Our budget for the house is about $400K-500K, in a safe neighborhood with at least a small backyard.
I have been looking at zillow.com for a past couple of days, but it would be really helpful if you guys can help me out too.
If I were to rank the order of importance:
1. Safety
2. Abundant living area (at least 1400sq ft, with a backyard)
3. Closeness to Boston College
4. Closeness to Boston

Thanks for help in advance everybody.
Brighton, Brookline, Possibly Newton. If your going to have kids, forget about Brighton. Boston isn't know for it's good schools!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayskrg View Post
Thanks everyone. I will probably have to plan a trip sometime in mid-May to look at some houses. West Newton seems to be a decent place. Any thoughts?
West Newton is great! I've worked with clients in the past looking in that area and I often find myself driving over there to go out for dinner. Lots of great restaurants and shops in that area and the West Newton Cinema is great if you're into independent films. West Newton has a bit more of an urban feel than say Newton Center and it's a pretty densely populated area with lots of condos, multi-family homes, but also plenty of single family homes as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,193,770 times
Is Newton where the new Wegman's is?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-17-2012, 05:25 AM

9,904 posts, read 15,466,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Is Newton where the new Wegman's is?
Not yet. There is one planned for Chestnut Hill.

The closest location to you would be the one that is going to be built in Burlington.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Not yet. There is one planned for Chestnut Hill.

The closest location to you would be the one that is going to be built in Burlington.
I drive by the sight in Chestnut Hill all the time. I wouldn't doubt it if it's still a couple years at least away from opening. It's also going to be much smaller than the one they opened in Northborough. They also have plans to open a location in Westwood (originally slated to be the first Wegman's in MA) but that project is pretty dead in the water and will probably not even get started again for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston