Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Popular are the Bruins right now?
Bruins, Pats, Sox, Celtics 4 16.67%
Pats, Bruins 1A, Sox, Celtics 1 4.17%
Pats, Bruins, Sox, Celtics 1 4.17%
Pats, Sox, Bruins (big gap), Celtics 0 0%
Pats, Sox, Bruins, Celtics 1 4.17%
Pats, Sox, Celtics-Bruins 4 16.67%
Pats, Sox, Celtics, Bruins 5 20.83%
Sox, Pats, Bruins (big gap), Celtics 2 8.33%
Sox, Pats, Bruins, Celtics 5 20.83%
Sox, Pats, Celtics, Bruins 3 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,451,756 times

Advertisements

Curious for those in the area; how popular are the Bruins?

-How popular are they relative to the rest of the teams?
-How popular are they relative to the Celtics 2008 title?
How come they seem to have risen much higher than the Celtics 2008 title? Does Boston just not care about basketball/more of a hockey town/the Bruins drought made it bigger?

Some have said not only are the Bruins MUCH (not slightly) bigger than the Celtics but actually bigger than the Sox and close to number 1...is this the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:41 PM

116 posts, read 321,218 times
1. Bruins
1A. BC Hockey
big gap
3. Pats (at most 15 minutes of action squeezed into 4.5 hour of commercials)

Hate basketball, lamest excuse for a sport ever.
Baseball is so slow and boring, I couldn't care less. Especially the Sox divas. Only tourists go to Fenway now.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM

332 posts, read 1,022,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4269a View Post

Baseball is so slow and boring, I couldn't care less. Especially the Sox divas. Only tourists go to Fenway now.
How is football better than basketball??

but I feel the same about baseball

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM

116 posts, read 321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
How is football better than basketball??

but I feel the same about baseball

There's hitting and usually a couple big/exciting plays in football.

Basketball is just a joke, I mean seriously, foul shots? You breath on someone and it's a technical foul. Don't get me started on how soft NBA players are, ever seen them fight? It's like two 10 year old girls back peddling and slapping at each other while a Van Gundy flops around on the floor. Plus, virtually every play is drive to the hoop, kick out for a three point shot. Worst.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM

13,054 posts, read 22,264,004 times
Wow... I guess it's a matter of perspective.

For me, it goes Sox, Pats... HUGE gap... Bruins, Celtics. The last two are interchangeable depending on who is more successful. When it comes to NHL/NBA, I'm a big bandwagon fan.

Frankly, I find basketball and hockey to be painfully boring EXCEPT for the playoffs. With Basketball, it feels like the last two minutes are just about all that matter as even a 10-15 point gap can disappear. If the gap is larger than that, watching a team foul another and drag those 2 minutes out is painful. The back and forth is just incredibly boring and repetitive.

Hockey, I'll admit, I just don't get it. Watching the Bruins championship run was exciting, but I didn't pay attention during the season and I'm not really right now. Over a month for playoffs? Are you kidding? Shorten that up a bit. Still, hockey is better than Basketball.

I LOVE football. My only issue is the down time between plays. The sequences when it goes, "4th down... commercial, punt/return... commercial, offense takes over/3 and out... commercial" are the most boring sequences in sports. However, I think if you understand the game, the matchups are fun to watch. It's such a chess match and I think the strategy and planning involved are fascinating. The Patriots are simply the best at exploiting weaknesses and game planning.

Baseball's my favorite. I grew up playing football and baseball and I love baseball the most. It's hard (impossible) to sit through 162 9-inning games per year. It's even more difficult to watch two teams you don't support (for me, anyway. I can watch two NFL teams I don't care about simply because the games don't happen that often). Still, each aspect of the game is so intriguing. It's such a mental game. Especially in the pros when you're managing talent for 162 games (to contrast, the NFL is 16 games). Lefty/righty matchups, pinch runners, pinch hitters, defensive alignments and substitutions... all really interesting.

The best is the pitcher/batter matchup. Standing 60 feet away from a guy who is capable of hitting a solid ball 400 feet at 120mph with nothing to protect you but a little bit of leather can be a terrifying prospect. Add to that that the pitcher is still falling forward by the time the ball is hit and has fractions of a second to react and it's really something unique. I love the strategy of it too. What pitch to throw a batter, and when and where to throw it. As a pitcher, that was the most fun aspect of any sport I played. It's fascinating to watch the pros do what they do. In baseball, millimeters and milliseconds separate the best from the worst. This is partially true in any sport, but none more than baseball.

Another reason to love Baseball (especially in Boston) even if you're not a sports fan is tradition and what it represents in terms of the season. Baseball means spring and summer. Everyone in MA has memories of being at the beach and listening to the Sox game on the radio or heading to Fenway on a nice July evening. It's been the same for 100 years around here. There's a feeling that you get walking through those corridors at Fenway that you just can't get at Gillette, TD Garden, etc.

Nope... the Sox will always be number 1 for me. I know not everyone can get into it and I understand that. But aside from the Patriots (and only recently), the other two aren't even close.

And it's certainly not just tourists at Fenway. It sells out 81 games per year and the VAST majority are people from New England. Fenway is a cathedral of sports so it will be a tourist draw, but when it comes to the games, it's mostly local fans (albeit, plenty of "pinkhat" bandwagon fans too, but that comes with success in any sport).

Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 PM

332 posts, read 1,022,419 times
Im more of a player than a watcher anyway, but i still find it more interesting than football. Baseball's the only sport where everyone chews gum just to stay awake, i dont find it very interesting to watch.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,673,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4269a View Post
1. Bruins
1A. BC Hockey
big gap
3. Pats (at most 15 minutes of action squeezed into 4.5 hour of commercials)

Have to mostly agree with you. Baseball is slow and other than going to Fenway just to go once, I don't care to go. I grew up playing basketball and will watch college basketball, especially in March, but can't stand the NBA. I prefer college football first, NFL second, then probably college basketball and playoff hockey is excellent.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,451,756 times
I think some of you mis-read.
My question was not WHAT IS YOUR RANKING, but rather for those of you in the region, WHAT IS THE CURRENT RANKING FOR THE AREA YOU HAVE OBSERVED?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 AM

13,054 posts, read 22,264,004 times
It's always whoever's currently playing. So... 1) Bruins, 2)Celtics, 3) Red Sox (Spring Training is starting), 4)Patriots. That's what it seems like at this very moment.

People want the Super Bowl loss to go away so the Patriots are what people are talking about the least. Baseball hasn't really started yet but it's close. It's going to be interesting to see what happens after last year. My guess is that a lot of fair weather fans and pink hats have jumped ship.

Celtics and Bruins are the big ones now because they're playing. Bruins are probably a little more popular because of the recent success and potential to do it again. Not many people believe the Celtics have what it takes at this point.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,821,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's always whoever's currently playing. So... 1) Bruins, 2)Celtics, 3) Red Sox (Spring Training is starting), 4)Patriots. That's what it seems like at this very moment.

People want the Super Bowl loss to go away so the Patriots are what people are talking about the least. Baseball hasn't really started yet but it's close. It's going to be interesting to see what happens after last year. My guess is that a lot of fair weather fans and pink hats have jumped ship.

Celtics and Bruins are the big ones now because they're playing. Bruins are probably a little more popular because of the recent success and potential to do it again. Not many people believe the Celtics have what it takes at this point.
Agree 100%.

Oh....and Go Bruins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: