U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 AM

23 posts, read 88,193 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good bar that's not full of frat boys and might have some good food too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 13,041,651 times
Take a stroll over to 999 Mass. Ave, home of The Cellar and - upstairs at ground level - "Garden at the Cellar." Cambridge is such that there's no escaping there being a student contingent - 'legal" or otherwise - at just about any given watering hole. But there's a nice age mix at this place and the food is awesome.

Not far from there, at the corner of Hancock St and Mass. Ave, you'll find The Plough & Stars. Their menu leans toward the yuppified side but I enjoy the "chicken/fish fry" selections they offer on Sunday nights. My only caveats about the Plough are that it's a hole-in-the-wall so gets crowded in no time flat, and you may not like being someplace with live music. Like all the bars around Inman Square, the Plough can also often seem infested by hipsters with their "look at my outrageous glasses and vintage clothes" affectations. (Dude, nice fedora! <snark>) But the up side is that there are plenty of locals and unaffected types there as well.

Outbound on the Red Line - 7-day service as of March 5th, whoo hoo - the best places to avoid students around Davis Square are Johnny D's and Orleans. $5 appetizers 'til 7 PM at Orleans, and amazing brunches as well as deelish dinners (half-price before 6:30) at Johnny D's, keep me going back to both.

BTW I also like Cambridge Common (the restaurant) a lot, though it does get more than its share of Harvard Law types given its location. It's the regular Monday-night haunt of me and some of my Cambridge Community Chorus friends after rehearsals. Our age mix skews pretty heavily over 45, but those among us who are 24-to-thirtysomething also like it. The beer selection is enormous. The victuals are at least average if not better. And the "resident shrieker" who starts to let loose around 10 o'clock keeps everybody laughing.

If you're not on Yelp.com you should be!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM

544 posts, read 1,290,981 times
My vote is the Cantab lounge in Central Square. At least it was one of my favorite haunts in the 80s and 90s and into the early 2000s. Good mix of people and some good music. Kinda "Sleazy cool"

Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 88,193 times
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check those out!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 AM
miu

17,680 posts, read 38,549,895 times
What kind of food do you like? The Middle East Cafe is good, plus at night they have live music. And the Plough and Stars bar has a great brunch. I think that they serve food during the daytime the rest of the week.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM

7,227 posts, read 6,628,762 times
Brick and Mortar, Trina's Starlite Lounge, the Druid, the bar at Craigie on Main, the Cantab...If you're willing to venture to Somerville, Highland Kitchen, Backbar and the Independent...

Depends what you like. These places are all different from one another.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM

15,008 posts, read 20,008,165 times
I will second Highland Kitchen, though it's in Somerville (very easy driving or taking a bus!). Fantastic cocktails and food.

I'm also a big fan of the drinks at The Foundry on Elm in Davis Square.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM

3,762 posts, read 4,893,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Brick and Mortar, Trina's Starlite Lounge, the Druid, the bar at Craigie on Main, the Cantab...If you're willing to venture to Somerville, Highland Kitchen, Backbar and the Independent...

Depends what you like. These places are all different from one another.
This is my list too. I would also add Green Street, The Bar at Rendezvous in Central; Abigail's in Kendall; Lord Hobo in Inman and Joey Mac's and Portgualia in East Cambridge if you want a great dive.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM

7,738 posts, read 6,971,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What kind of food do you like? The Middle East Cafe is good, plus at night they have live music.
That's probably one of the only places I'd miss in leaving the area.

it's been around a long time, the food is great and there's always something going on there. It isn't the type of place that has the same venue over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston