Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM

16 posts, read 23,455 times

Advertisements

I've noticed the prices (duh) skyrocket near Fenway for apartments. Is it worth it? I am a 27-year old single man, who would be living by himself. Obviously, I love the idea of being within short walking distance to Red Sox games, but other than that, does it make sense to live there? I would take the T to Newton for work everyday, won't need a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
You might want to consider Mission Hill, which has more affordable rents. It's within walking distance (10-20 minutes on average) of the D line (Brookline Village), which would take you to both Newton and Fenway. You could theoretically walk to Fenway too, in about 25-35 minutes.

Fenway is a very convenient location, but whether it's worth the higher rent is really your call.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM

16 posts, read 23,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
You might want to consider Mission Hill, which has more affordable rents. It's within walking distance (10-20 minutes on average) of the D line (Brookline Village), which would take you to both Newton and Fenway. You could theoretically walk to Fenway too, in about 25-35 minutes.

Fenway is a very convenient location, but whether it's worth the higher rent is really your call.

Thanks for the tip....What is Mission Hill like socialwise? Bars/restaurants? Or does everyone just hop on the T and head elsewhere?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
I've never lived there so I may not be the best person to ask, but it is a primarily residential neighborhood, so I get the impression that most people head elsewhere for entertainment. In addition to the D line, it's also wedged between the E line and the Orange Line, which makes it particularly convenient for reaching other parts of the city. But yeah, there's definitely less to do within walking distance than in Fenway.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes8491 View Post
Thanks for the tip....What is Mission Hill like socialwise? Bars/restaurants? Or does everyone just hop on the T and head elsewhere?
Mission Hill is primarily an abode for people living and learning in Longwood. Students at Harvard Med, MCP, MassArt, NEU, Simmons etc. People working at the Brigham, NEU, Beth Israel ... Some projects but those folks often work in Longwood too. There's a few small bars the Brighamites pile into after work. The Galleria has nice food court. There's a decent Chinese restaurant at Brigham Circle. There's a Stop and Shop at Brigham Circle.

Essentially it's the medical area neighborhood. There are facilities, but it's not an entertainment district. If you wanna save a few bucks it's ok. Hard as hell to walk up the hill when it's iced over though! Dunno how much the Fens is now but I lived on Park Drive for 5 years. It's pretty but West Fens is a little less convenient than you might think. It doesn't have a T stop. Plus nobody talks to each other. 5 years there and I only met two neighbors. And the very best part - the restaurant row on Peterborough burned down. It looks so posh but it's really kinda boring. Mission Hill is more convenient in some ways with the Brigham Circle T, regular buses and cabs all on Huntington Ave.

East Fens is better. Closer to Mass Ave or Huntington. Pizza at Cappy's 2 on Huntington across from the Y is better than anything in the West Fens. The Bombay Cafe has the best chicken korma in New England and lunch is 5.95 last time I was there. Props to Nan Ling and Bangkok City too. My vote is East Fens maybe, West Fens - nah - not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston