Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 AM

17 posts, read 30,891 times

Advertisements

No. South End is residential and has a few gay lounges/restaurants. But it isn't a "party-scene" depending on how you look at it. Actually, Boston doesn't really have a "party-scene" anywhere gay or straight; Faneuil Hall comes close. parts of Allston do, and around the big college campuses there are college "parties." But I think of "party-scene" as crazy Manhattan clubs and Bourbon Street in New Orleans, etc., and Boston doesn't have that level of "party," so to speak.

Oddly, the craziest gay venue in the Boston area isn't even in Boston, but in Cambridge: Club Paradise

I think if you are looking for middle-class and family-friendly, you can consider JP and most of South Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyhayes View Post
No. South End is residential and has a few gay lounges/restaurants. But it isn't a "party-scene" depending on how you look at it. Actually, Boston doesn't really have a "party-scene" anywhere gay or straight; Faneuil Hall comes close. parts of Allston do, and around the big college campuses there are college "parties." But I think of "party-scene" as crazy Manhattan clubs and Bourbon Street in New Orleans, etc., and Boston doesn't have that level of "party," so to speak.

Oddly, the craziest gay venue in the Boston area isn't even in Boston, but in Cambridge: Club Paradise

I think if you are looking for middle-class and family-friendly, you can consider JP and most of South Boston.
Yeah I mostly agree. Boston is more academic than party. People think and study more than party. The only little party spot I think would be Landsdowne St next to Fenway Park. That can be pretty wild on a weekend.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki0417 View Post
Ah, okay. So is South End more of the gay party-scene, then?
I lived in the South End for 4 years and agree that I wouldn't call it a gay party area. It's a step down in price from Back Bay and probably, per square foot, less than Beacon Hill or North End. The best part about the South End is how livable it is given it's location. You can street part in most areas, drive easily, get to and from 93 and the Pike and it's walking distance to most other neighborhoods/attractions in Boston and on the Orange line. It's also known for fantastic restaurants, has nice cafe's etc. I'd call it family friendly.

JP is a nice place to live especially if the Orange Line gets you where you want to go. Otherwise it's a bit isolated from highways and takes time to get in/out of.

The next area to look is the red line - Cambridge, Somerville and Arlington. Cambridge is well known, it's expensive but there is plenty going on especially Central and Harvard and it's a step down in price (probably) from the city.

Somerville, where I live now is the land of the triple decker, 20 something singles, young couples/families and remaining townies. Davis square is a great location on the red line 15 minutes from downtown. It's still not cheap but definitely less than Cambridge and prices drop noticeably as you move away from the Red which gives some flexibility.

The last Red stop takes you to Arlingotn which is yet more residential and suburban and a bit less than somerville for similar apartments.

Also, Charlstown. A great neighborhood but also a bit isolated other than the orange line connection. But it's close to downtown and has a lot of charm. Lots of old brownstones and plenty to do when you're there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston