Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,366,708 times

Advertisements

For myself, I grew up in boston and lived in many other cities, last time I was in boston was last summer. The mbta is proposing a fare increase, from 59 to 80 something a month for the unlimited pass, it depends on the fare increase %. it's either 35% - 80 bucks or so, or 43%- 85 bucks or so.

i still have tons of family and friends in boston. but, the way I look at it, compared to other cities, Boston is still a bargain even after a 43% increase.

Seattle (where I live now) is 90 bucks per month, and we only have busses, and a short light rail was opened a few years ago.

portland, OR- 92 bucks, for a extensive light rail that covers lots of ground

NYC- 104 a month, covers lots of stops

Minneapolis- 85 bucks for bus, and a very short light rail line.

Philadelphia- 83 bucks per month for bus and 2 heavy rail.

Chicago - 86 dollars

these are the cities that I have been to, and many others. Boston's T has 3 heavy rail lines, a light rail line (green), and the silver line, plus bus service, all for 59 a month. I really think that even if it gets to 90 a month, its still "fair". I know, its a big increase % wise, but compared to the places where I have lived or visited before, its a huge bargain now.

In Seattle, I was paying 85 a month before the light rail opened (before 2009), so it was Only riding buses, no subway. and this was years ago, I can tell you that its much more convenient being on a subway than a bus. the bus gets stuck in traffic jams with the rest of the cars, while a subway zips through traffic underground during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
Philadelphia has the same amount of LRT as Boston with Suburban and Urban versions, it also have 4 Subways with 2 Expansions Proposed , Ferries , and Streetcars.... Seattle is just as Expensive as Vancouver or Calgary or Portland , the West Coast is pretty expensive....but at least those cities are expanding there systems out.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,802,282 times
I'd rather see the fare increase to cover costs, then service cuts.

One thing that really bothered me was the MBTA banning alcohol ads (and that revenue!) while the T is starving for additional funds. Tell me how that makes sense?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,366,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Philadelphia has the same amount of LRT as Boston with Suburban and Urban versions, it also have 4 Subways with 2 Expansions Proposed , Ferries , and Streetcars.... Seattle is just as Expensive as Vancouver or Calgary or Portland , the West Coast is pretty expensive....but at least those cities are expanding there systems out.

yes philly has 4 subways, but its very easy to get out of zone and you have to pay the zone difference (3 zones total) on top of the 83 per month monthly pass. you'll have to buy a higher zone monthly pass in order to go farther out. comparing that is like saying boston has the commuter rail thats 13 lines... but you have to pay more to go farther.

The MBTA subway already covers many towns and cities, it goes to braintree, riverside, revere, malden, etc etc. If you dont believe me go to other cities and ride their public transportation, and you will see how much it will cost as you go to other towns.

Like I said, boston's mbta (subway and bus for 59) is still very cheap on what it offers. I would say that the commuter rail is a rip off, but the bus and subway fares are very cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston