Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM

474 posts, read 495,421 times

Advertisements

I recently attended a speed dating event for the first time in my life in Boston. I spoke to a total of 8 women and spent 5 min's speaking to each one of them, at the end of the day I didn't even get one of them reply back to me with a yes. I think it's because the women there weren't expecting to see someone like me, I belong to a minority race(Indian to be precise) and I think people in Boston are very hung up on not dating men belonging to certain ethnicities. Had I been a mainstream American guy I am sure I would have ended up with more than one date from that event.

I wanted to ask people what their opinions/success stories were from speed dating events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
I recently attended a speed dating event for the first time in my life in Boston. I spoke to a total of 8 women and spent 5 min's speaking to each one of them, at the end of the day I didn't even get one of them reply back to me with a yes. I think it's because the women there weren't expecting to see someone like me, I belong to a minority race(Indian to be precise) and I think people in Boston are very hung up on not dating men belonging to certain ethnicities. Had I been a mainstream American guy I am sure I would have ended up with more than one date from that event.

I wanted to ask people what their opinions/success stories were from speed dating events.
It ain't you dude. Nobody gets any dates in Boston. But hang on, I'm sure Miu will be along to explain it all shortly. Until then, just click on this link and fill out this short form. Then you'll be well on your way to a successful life of dating in Boston.

//www.city-data.com/forum/21678764-post8.html

Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Try OKCupid. I don't know how old you are, but my social group is in its mid 20s to mid 30s and we all have had success on OKC. In many cases, more success than more typical ways of meeting people. Hell - I got dates while undergoing chemo, losing my hair, and after gaining 50 pounds (and I already was a bigger girl). If you look for racial insinuations everywhere you go, you're not going to be very happy.

I'm not a big fan of speed dating. Many people don't take it seriously and it allows you to be incredibly picky. It's not a big installment in the Boston dating scene. At least with online dating, you have a much bigger pool to be picky with.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
It ain't you dude. Nobody gets any dates in Boston. But hang on, I'm sure Miu will be along to explain it all shortly. Until then, just click on this link and fill out this short form. Then you'll be well on your way to a successful life of dating in Boston.

//www.city-data.com/forum/21678764-post8.html
What do you mean? If that were true, I wouldn't be seeing so many young couples in the downtown when I go there on the weekends.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Try OKCupid. I don't know how old you are, but my social group is in its mid 20s to mid 30s and we all have had success on OKC. In many cases, more success than more typical ways of meeting people. Hell - I got dates while undergoing chemo, losing my hair, and after gaining 50 pounds (and I already was a bigger girl). If you look for racial insinuations everywhere you go, you're not going to be very happy.

I'm not a big fan of speed dating. Many people don't take it seriously and it allows you to be incredibly picky. It's not a big installment in the Boston dating scene. At least with online dating, you have a much bigger pool to be picky with.
Online dating only works if you are a White guy, doesn't work for the other guys. I tried okcupid but no luck over there either, I guess people of my ethnicity are just hated in Boston and it's pointless to even try finding a date in this stuck up, narrow minded town.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Online dating only works if you are a White guy, doesn't work for the other guys. I tried okcupid but no luck over there either, I guess people of my ethnicity are just hated in Boston and it's pointless to even try finding a date in this stuck up, narrow minded town.
greenpapayas... I'm so tired of reading your posts complaining about being a non-white single male in Boston. I think that you just need to move to another city right away.

I work in catering and so I work many social events in the Boston area, and I see many happy interracial and same race couples. And the people with dark skin tones are having just as good a time as those with white skin.

Speed dating is all about how well you can sell yourself in a short amount of time. It's not about how someone looks, but them exuding an attractive personality. The other person wants to be with someone who is confident, relaxed and happy with themselves, who has a good sense of humour and makes them laugh, who comes across as great company to be with and who is also someone that they can trust their heart to. It's not about being the best looking person there oozing sex appeal. And because speed dating has such a short time frame, it might be helpful to bring along a stop watch and divy the five minutes in half, with one half listening to her story and the other half you selling yourself. And as you listen to each woman, make mental notes of any interests you have in common with her. Or tell her how fun a date with you would be. Importantly, you should also suggest that if they were to go on a first date with you, it would be fun and also with no hard feelings on your part in case the personality chemistry isn't there between the two of you.

From reading all of your complaint posts, you may have come across as man who is insecure, lacking in self esteem, impatient and angry that women aren't throwing themselves at you, unhappy with Boston life and overall, not someone who is going to be fun to hang out with. Plus you being so desperate hints that if the first date doesn't work out, you'd be hard to get out of their lives without you making some stupid comment about the colour of your skin being the reason they didn't fall in love with you.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
post a pic and I will tell you if it's your appearance. I'm a "minority" woman, and rarely feel discriminated against. The racism I witness is usually a co-worker's ignorant comments or students walking by talking in fake spanish accents.

are you from India or are you Native American?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:

Quote:
Well, jeez, with such a winning personality, I can't IMAGINE why you'd be having trouble dating.....

I've personally known people on Indian descent who have had zero issues dating in Boston. If you come off even 5% in real life as you do in these posts, I can see why you're having no luck. Stop whining, stop feeling down on yourself, stop this ridiculous notion that only white people can date in Boston, just stop being pathetic. Girls don't like guys who whine and moan like you're doing here. It's ridiculously unattractive and annoying to boot.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
I think you're just having trouble meeting the right person. Dating in Boston pretty much sucks anyway...most guys, regardless of race, are screwed because there's so many rich dudes walking around that they can get all the chicks for themselves. Think about it...you have any idea how many professors, doctors, lawyers, intellectuals, etc. that there are in this town? The rest of us are lucky there's even any leftovers at all once they filter down the ladder.

Don't take it so personally, you'll meet the right person eventually

Last edited by RC1981; 04-12-2012 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 PM

118 posts, read 298,927 times
Quote:

Well if you want to focus on skin color answer this...How many indian women do you see with white men (or non indian men in general) in this country? The percentage is probably the lowest out of all mixed race relationships. It does happen but it is very very rare.

Listen to the advice on here from others, and I wanted to mention another website thats free called POF. Hopefully all this is useful.

I honestly dont know anyone that has tried speed dating yet. It might be more popular out there than it is where I live at the moment.

Also remember this, there are more women than men in Boston so the odds are in your favor. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston