Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 PM

244 posts, read 642,806 times

Advertisements

If I were to work at One Guest Street (WGBH bldg) in Brighton, where do you think would be the most convenient area to look for an apartment? I'm not looking for a house, I don't have kids or schools to worry about, I only wish to find a convenient and safe spot to live.

One Guest Street is at the end of Storrow Drive, technically in Brighton, if memory serves me (correct me if I'm wrong, here).

There are two bus lines #64 and #86 which stop just outside One Guest Street, neither of which I'm familiar with. I'm *not* a young college kid and would rather not live in Allston/Brighton which I remember to be the biggest college student areas (again, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe there are parts of Brighton/Allston I'm not familiar with).

Which areas do you think are the most convenient for this commute? Maybe Watertown -- what parts of Watertown would I look at? I have a car but don't want to drive to work. I don't think there's a subway/T stop anywhere near One Guest St.

Your suggestions are most welcome! I'm out of state and having a hard time remembering the subway lines and adjacent communities. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,251,390 times
The 70 leaves off about a quarter mile from Guest St, and I think you could catch the 86 to cover that distance if you didn't want to walk it. Not quite sure about the location of the stops though.

You could do the Oak Square area of Brighton (I don't think its as college student ridden) and up to the Newton Corner area. That would require a transfer though (57 to 86). As far as Watertown goes, the 70 runs up Arsenal Street after Watertown Square. So I would look for apartments walking distance to Arsenal Street East of the square and walking distance to route 20/Main Street West of the square.

You didn't mention how long of a commute you are willing to tolerate or anything along those line. What sorts of amenities do you want close by? Should your apartment be walkable to stores and restaurants? Personally, I would probably look for an apartment in the Watertown Square area. There are a few apartment complexes to the east of Watertown Square with reasonable rents and parking, that put you a short walk from the 70 bus as well as restaurants, bars, shops, and a nice bike/walking path along the river. The commute should be 20 minutes, but that could double if traffic is ugly.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
The 70 leaves off about a quarter mile from Guest St, and I think you could catch the 86 to cover that distance if you didn't want to walk it. Not quite sure about the location of the stops though.

You could do the Oak Square area of Brighton (I don't think its as college student ridden) and up to the Newton Corner area. That would require a transfer though (57 to 86). As far as Watertown goes, the 70 runs up Arsenal Street after Watertown Square. So I would look for apartments walking distance to Arsenal Street East of the square and walking distance to route 20/Main Street West of the square.

You didn't mention how long of a commute you are willing to tolerate or anything along those line. What sorts of amenities do you want close by? Should your apartment be walkable to stores and restaurants? Personally, I would probably look for an apartment in the Watertown Square area. There are a few apartment complexes to the east of Watertown Square with reasonable rents and parking, that put you a short walk from the 70 bus as well as restaurants, bars, shops, and a nice bike/walking path along the river. The commute should be 20 minutes, but that could double if traffic is ugly.
Thank you so much. Truly appreciated.

I have never commuted by bus before so it feels a little weird to me. But there aren't other options along Guest Street. When I lived in Boston (over 10 yrs ago now) I was always near a T stop or then I moved out to the suburbs and took the commuter rail.

I wonder....if I lived in Watertown Square area and *drove* (assuming there's parking at the office bldg) do you think it would be awful or not so bad (within about 30 mins with traffic?)

Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,251,390 times
Yeah, I was never a bus person. With the frequency of delays on the T though you might be better off on the bus. If you drove, I think your commute would top out at 30 minutes. 15 on a good day, probably average of 20-25.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,236,910 times
How about Medford near Tufts? How are the buses & trains from that area?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
How about Medford near Tufts? How are the buses & trains from that area?

Are you asking the other poster about Medford in general...or suggesting I look at living in Medford and commuting to Brighton from there (I'm confused by your post).

I'm actually from the north shore so Medford is appealing because my aunt used to live there near Tufts. But I would think that a Medford-to-Brighton-Guest-Street commute might be hellacious.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,236,910 times
I was asking about the train and bus service in the Medford area near Tufts .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,889,948 times
OP, I'm in that area frequently and by the way that building is lovely. I would try to find something within walking distance since I don't think the buses this far from the city center are reliable. Brighton Center is the area, and while their are some students, I'd say they are outnumbered by professionals due to not being T adjacent.

The Market St. and Washington St. intersection seems to be the hub of Brighton Center and close enough to walk to WGBH, while the train is about a 20 minute walk if you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston