Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 150,743 times

Advertisements

Hello evryone

My name is Kim Daniel im 23 yrs old and live in Oslo, Norway.
Im planning on moving to Boston and have some (many) questions.

1.What is the average rent prize on appartments in Boston.(about 40-50Squaremeters). of course a decent area .i pay about 1200$ in oslo

2.How much to buy an appartment in same size.(Costs about US700.000-800.000$ in Oslo)

3. And if i want to buy can i get a loan in US or do i have to take up a loan in Norway.

4. How is the job market in Boston? is it easy to get jobs there as a chef or cook (is educated cook).

5.Whats the average salary per. month.(i earn about 3500$a month wich is 20$an our)

6. Were do i apply for an work permit. (US embassy?)

7. How much does it cost too live in Boston(food, taxi, subway, electrisity, etc.) in average a month.

8.and lots of other questions.......

plz just give me whatever info you have, that you think i should know about because i know pretty much nothing.

Thank you......

Aldarion

And also, im sorry for my bad writing. talk much better then i write.
And how about taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarAldarion View Post
Hello evryone

My name is Kim Daniel im 23 yrs old and live in Oslo, Norway.
Im planning on moving to Boston and have some (many) questions.

1.What is the average rent prize on appartments in Boston.(about 40-50Squaremeters). of course a decent area .i pay about 1200$ in oslo

2.How much to buy an appartment in same size.(Costs about US700.000-800.000$ in Oslo)

3. And if i want to buy can i get a loan in US or do i have to take up a loan in Norway.

4. How is the job market in Boston? is it easy to get jobs there as a chef or cook (is educated cook).

5.Whats the average salary per. month.(i earn about 3500$a month wich is 20$an our)

6. Were do i apply for an work permit. (US embassy?)

7. How much does it cost too live in Boston(food, taxi, subway, electrisity, etc.) in average a month.

8.and lots of other questions.......

plz just give me whatever info you have, that you think i should know about because i know pretty much nothing.

Thank you......

Aldarion

And also, im sorry for my bad writing. talk much better then i write.
And how about taxes?
Hello fellow Scandinavian! (I'm originally from Sweden). I'm fairly new to the Boston area, so I'll try to answer some of your questions, but I'll let others answer the rest/correct me.

1. I would think that rents are somewhat similar, but you may pay a bit more for the same size (500 square ft) apartment in areas such as Cambridge and Brookline. Do you want to be close to the city center?

2. I think you can buy a condo for a lot less than $700,000 in Boston, but there is a big range. However, I believe the average for a condo is around $300,000. You will probably get a better idea by visiting some of the realtor websites and make some searches.

3. It would be quite difficult to get a loan from a US institution since you wouldn't have established a credit history here. The only way to get a loan would be if you had a US co-signer. If that's not possible, I would look into the possibility of a Norwegian bank giving you a loan. I would recommend that you rent at least for some time first to get established in the area and have a better idea of where you want to live.

4. Not sure about this one - quite a few restaurants, but I have no idea if the job market for chefs is good here.

5. I'll have to defer this to others as well since I'm not familiar with your field, but I would guess that salary would be something similar.

6. Unfortunately it's not as easy as just applying for a work permit, you have to be sponsored (meaning that the employer will submit the application for you) by a company in order to obtain a work permit. This will most likely be the most difficult to obtain, but you can read more about it at:
How Do I Apply For Immigrant Status Based On Employment?

7. Even though Boston is an expensive city by American standards, everything will pretty much be cheaper than in Norway. All of this varies with your lifestyle of course, but I would estimate the following:

Subway & Bus - $59/month
Food - $150-200/month
Electricity - $50/month
Heat - This can get very expensive during the winter in month. Gas or oil is usually used, and if you rent, you want to make cure that heat and hot water are included in the rent.

What other questions do you have?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:08 AM

22 posts, read 150,743 times
Default Thanks

wow Thanks a bunch.... this helps out a lot..

im also wondering if there are any websites where i can search for jobs in the boston area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston