Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,821 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Boston this summer. We are about to sign a lease on an apt in the Chestnut Hill area of Brookline (as opposed to the Newton or Boston parts of Chestnut Hill). It's a couple blocks from the mall there. Before we sign on the dotted line, I wanted to ask some commute related questions here....

My husband will be commuting to the Longwood Medical area. Due to his unpredictable medical-ish hours and the fact he sometimes has to respond to medical emergencies, he can't always rely on public transit. Can someone give me a rundown on the following? I realize traffic time can vary, but I am talking on average here.

Commute to Longwood from Chestnut Hill area of Brookline (or vice versa):

-Via car in peak traffic times (rush hour)

-Via car in off-peak traffic (like say 4am or 11pm)

-Via "free Longwood shuttle" -- I guess both during peak and off-peak

-Via T - (D-line) -- peak vs off-peak, if there's a difference

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
Depending on what part of Brookline you're in it could easily be walkable. If you settle anyplace on Beacon street you can walk down to Park Drive and then down Brookline Av and be in the Longwood Medical Area in about 15-20 minutes total. It would probably take longer via the T.

From Chestnut Hill though, I'm not sure there's any really easy way to do it. You'd probably do better to look into buses than trains though. The 60 bus goes from Chestnut Hill to Brookline Av/Longwood Av, that would probably be your best bet if you don't want to walk it.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
I'd think 15 min or so on the Riverside line between Reservoir and Longwood stations. There are numerous backroad possibilities for heavy traffic times; otherwise 15-20 minutes to the medical area.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBound2012 View Post
My family and I are relocating to Boston this summer. We are about to sign a lease on an apt in the Chestnut Hill area of Brookline (as opposed to the Newton or Boston parts of Chestnut Hill). It's a couple blocks from the mall there. Before we sign on the dotted line, I wanted to ask some commute related questions here....

My husband will be commuting to the Longwood Medical area. Due to his unpredictable medical-ish hours and the fact he sometimes has to respond to medical emergencies, he can't always rely on public transit. Can someone give me a rundown on the following? I realize traffic time can vary, but I am talking on average here.

Commute to Longwood from Chestnut Hill area of Brookline (or vice versa):

-Via car in peak traffic times (rush hour) 25-30 minutes

-Via car in off-peak traffic (like say 4am or 11pm) 7-5 minutes

-Via "free Longwood shuttle" -- I guess both during peak and off-peak never heard of this

-Via T - (D-line) -- peak vs off-peak, if there's a difference 45-1 hour including walking to T and waiting for T

Thanks!
Mine in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Depending on what part of Brookline you're in it could easily be walkable. If you settle anyplace on Beacon street you can walk down to Park Drive and then down Brookline Av and be in the Longwood Medical Area in about 15-20 minutes total. It would probably take longer via the T.

From Chestnut Hill though, I'm not sure there's any really easy way to do it. You'd probably do better to look into buses than trains though. The 60 bus goes from Chestnut Hill to Brookline Av/Longwood Av, that would probably be your best bet if you don't want to walk it.
Yes, if you are concerned with commutes, consider living on or off of Beacon Street in Brookline. Chestnut Hill in Brookline is nice, but probably the furthest away from Longwood Medical Center.

Brookline Village may also be a good choice. 5 minute drive and 1 T-stop from Longwood with a more suburban feel than Longwood/Beacon Area.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM

22 posts, read 50,077 times
how about waltham to longwood medical driving?
thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 AM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Resign yourself to terminal traffic and angina causing anguish. You will also have to see if monthly parking is available for your institute. Employee parking is all off-site brown Brookline Ave.

check out MASCO | Medical Academic and Scientific Community Organization, Inc.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
If you're working in the LMA you should either make enough $ to rent a spot (which will be a sizeable monthly pymt but many do it) or get a place that is within walking or biking distance or a reasonable T ride (that option will get pricey too because you'll pay more to get a place closer to Longwood). There really is no easy and cheap solution to it, tons of people work in Longwood and there is competition for places that are nearby, so the prices reflect the convenience.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM

22 posts, read 50,077 times
Thanks for your input.

what is traffic like to and from LMA at around 6-6:30 am and 6-7 pm on:
a. I-90 approach
b. Boylston Rt 9
c. Washington St. from JP/Roslindale?

say about 5 mi out? 10 mi out?

thanks!!

KK

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdoc View Post
how about waltham to longwood medical driving?
thanks!
It will be a commute thats for sure. I would leave an hour before you need to be there because of traffic and then finding a spot/parking.
I imagine you will take Commonwealth ave or Beacon? Where in Waltham will you be coming from?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdoc View Post
Thanks for your input.

what is traffic like to and from LMA at around 6-6:30 am and 6-7 pm on:
a. I-90 approach
b. Boylston Rt 9
c. Washington St. from JP/Roslindale?

say about 5 mi out? 10 mi out?

KK
Any later than 6:30 am, you'll be in morning traffic.

C. Washington St is more time on 128 from Waltham. Not sure I understand the logic for this route unless Google maps came up with it.

B. Rt9 from 128? Again you're traveling more on 128 which won't reduce your traffic time.

A. Pike in to Prudential and backtrack by the Mother Church -- or-- pike to Cambridge and pick up Storrow to Fenway. Both decent options. Any later than 630 or 7am and its a parking lot.

Traffic picks up at 645am on Storrow.

In season, 6-7pm is a nightmare for everyone. Leave early 3pm or late 8pm.
Offseason, it's a mixed bag. You're better later towards 7 than 6pm.

Again, parking is offsite. $250-300+/- a month. You park down at Landmark or Fenway and take a shuttle or walk (another 15 min) up to the hospitals. That adds time to your commute.

Last edited by flowbe202; 02-19-2013 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston