Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM

95 posts, read 275,080 times

Advertisements

You're right, donewithpretty--in part, we're hung up on having our address read "Brookline, MA". That just doesn't sound right. But, I see your point--it really is, for all practical purposes, a part of Boston. Maybe we'll just have to get over it.

And Verseau is also right--I mean, we couldn't afford 1000 sq ft in Beverly Hills, for example. But, that's okay, because we don't want to live in Beverly Hills! What we consider to be the most desirable places in LA are places we can afford, ie. places where we can get 1000 sq ft for around $2000. But in Boston, the places we consider to be the most desirable are a bit out of our price range. So that's an adjustment.

Right now, we live in an historic bank building that was converted into residential space. So, it's a huge open space with a somewhat industrial feel. We love the old residential buildings in Boston (we're originally from Baltimore, where we lived in a beautiful 1850's rowhouse), but I'm wondering if there's a neighborhood in Boston that features older commercial or industrial buildings that have been converted into residential space. Maybe we could get more space, and a more open layout, in a place like that? (Although, such a neighborhood may involve a nightmarish commute to BC, I suppose. At any rate, just wondering if there is a neighborhood like that.)

Thanks so much for all your input. We really do appreciate your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 02:50 PM

I've seen some ads for apartments in Mission Hill, which appears to be a bit closer to the Green line than the South End, but a bit closer in to the city than Brookline. I know Fenway is a more college oriented area--probably a bit too rowdy for us. What about Mission Hill?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,984 times
I don't think Mission Hill sounds like what you're looking for. It is well-situated for access to the T (both the Green and Orange lines) and has a unique character, but there are a lot of students who live there, and it's definitely on the gritty side (it used to be one of the more unsafe places in the city, although has improved drastically). Also, don't be fooled by its relative proximity to downtown - it is a predominantly residential neighborhood, and doesn't have nearly the same vibrancy and urbanness of Coolidge Corner, which is actually just about the same distance from downtown.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,294 times
Coolidge Corner makes good sense, but it sounds like you want something a bit grittier/cheaper/funkier. The good news is that Boston has these places and they're safer than comparable neighborhoods in Baltimore and Philadelphia. Though it's farther from the city, one option right near BC would be Cleveland Circle. It has that up-and-coming vibe that Coolidge Corner lost years ago. We have friends who teach at BC that live in the converted Waterworks and love it (they moved from the Back Bay not too long ago).

Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM

41 posts, read 127,424 times
I live near Coolidge Corner and commute to/from work on the "B." It's easily walkable from the CC area to the B at Babcock, St. Paul, (etc) & Comm Ave. Coolidge Corner and environs is MUCH more urban than you are probably picturing/imagining. I am a late 20's young professional without a car (by choice!) and we live very easily car-free. There are parts of "Boston proper" where that would be very difficult or uncomfortable, but here I can walk to the grocery store(s), restaurants, pharmacy, independent movie theater, dog park, etc. Just a few blocks down Commonwealth are the multitude of ethnic restaurants (predominantly Asian and Indian, though some Middle Eastern too) of Allston - not to mention a large, great, "unpolished" Asian supermarket/dining court/food hall (Super88). In the other direction there are great restaurants on Beacon Street. We have great local libraries. We can take the subway to Chinatown for dim sum on weekends, walk over to the SoWa Market, or just a few blocks away eat at our favorite food trucks. I feel like I have the best of both worlds (urban & trees!).

That said there are definitely more and less urban/walkable parts of Brookline/Coolidge Corner -- and Boston too, so Google-mapping it is highly recommended.

(BTW, I think $2000 can probably get you a 1-bedroom in CC, though now I realize you're looking for a 2-bedroom? The other issue you should be aware of is that Boston can be incredibly difficult sometimes to find pet-friendly digs, even just for cats. You should know that in advance!)

Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the info on Coolidge Corner! Yes, we'd really like to have a 2br. Right now, we technically have 1br, but it functions like a 2br--i.e. we have one large open space for the bedroom, living room, dining room and kitchen (separated only by furniture placement) and a smaller room that we use as an office & guest room. We may have to forego the extra office/guest area when we move, but we'd like to find something with a 2nd bedroom or small den or something if we can.

And yes--we do have cats. They're non-negotiable, of course. So, I guess that's going to complicate things.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 PM

13 posts, read 35,072 times
cooliedge corner is probably best bet, you can take the C line down to cleveland circle to catch the BC shuttle, and the C from cooledige is a reasonable trip into the city as well. BC's kinda annoying to get to from anywhere in downtown boston. Even the D line is not a short ride(20-30min), and you can tack 20 min on the BC shuttle after you get off at reservior.

another place you could try is allston on harvard ave, B line there is close enough to BC that its not a huge hassel and not waiting for the shuttle is clutch.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
$2000 for a 2 bed should not restrictive at all to find a nice place in Coolidge Corner. Also, cats do not pose as bad a problem as dogs do.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I don't really get why cats aren't allowed. We wouldn't rent a place with carpet in the first place, so there's no risk of them scratching it. I can't imagine in what other respect they pose a potential damage risk. I mean, their main occupations are sleeping and eating. They don't bark or otherwise make noise, and they're hardly a threat to anyone's safety--unless getting licked to death is on the table as a possible cause of injury. I guess they'll leave allergens behind for the next tenants, but that's less of an issue with no carpet. So, hopefully the cats won't be such a big obstacle. Anyway, we love them, so what can we do?

Thanks for mentioning Cleveland Circle, Cato the Elder. It seems sort of far out for us, but terms like gritty and funky are definitely good descriptions of our current neighborhood, so we'll definitely give it a look. I think it's a mistake for anyone past the age of 35 to consider themselves 'hip', but our current neighborhood does have that reputation. We must be interlopers.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,716 times
If you can wrap your head around Brookline being urban I agree that Coolidge Corner is a good fit for you. Cleveland Circle has a lot of students because of the closeness to BC. Brookline keeps the students out. It's expensive, in part because of excellent public school and there is no overnight parking in Brookline, which isn't an issue for you but for most people it means forking over an additional $200-300 a month for a space. If it makes you feel any better I bet you can find a few people that think Brookline is part of Boston. It's more urban than many sections of Boston.

I think Somerville sounds like what you are looking for as well, but the commute would not be fun. I don't know if anyone can suggest an area that might have a decent commuting option, if it exists. The South End is a good fit and you may be able to find an apartment there in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston