Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times

Advertisements

Union Square (Somerville) and either Inman or Central Square (Cambridge) sound like what you want, neighborhood-wise, but you'd be in for a long commute. Coolidge Corner is urban, but gritty or edgy it's not. But it would be a fairly easy commute. I think once you visit here you will see that a city/area doesn't need to be "Boston" to be urban, and that if you live in one of these neighborhoods, you will find that being "Downtown" (which actually refers to a specific neighborhood in Boston) is less important than you might think. There are bars. restaurants, local shopping in all the places mentioned, and they are arguably better/more interesting than what you will find in Downtown Boston.

How long of a commute to you would be "nightmarish"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Another option is Brookline Village, where you get a Riverside car on the Green Line to Reservoir, then a BC shuttle over to BC. It's a little quieter than Coolidge Corner. Coolidge corner is very "uptown" (using a New York metaphor)--prosperous, no grit. The South End and the Leather District are better for grit, also the Fort Point Channel area which has fantastic loft buildings (although I'm not sure how many are residential as opposed to office space.) Also they're making lofts and other residential spaces in the old buildings in Downtown Crossing so there may be possibilities there. From the South End I'd take a bus up to the green line at Copley or Hynes, taking either a Cleveland Circle or a Riverside car. Oddly enough, you might find something congenial in downtown Waltham but would have to drive to BC from there. Central Sq in Cambridge might be up your alley too-- from there, bus over to Hynes and the green line out.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM

116 posts, read 319,923 times
I live in JP off Perkins Street and can get to BC in 10 minutes or less.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4269a View Post
I live in JP off Perkins Street and can get to BC in 10 minutes or less.

By T, as requested by the OP?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM

95 posts, read 275,080 times
But that's by car, right sm4269a? We'll need to take public transportation, so I think it'll be longer for us.

By a 'nightmarish' commute, I mean either more than an hour, or around an hour but with more than two legs. So, one bus and one train totaling around an hour would be fine if it allows us to live in a 'better' neighborhood (i.e. better for us). A longer commute, or one that involves more transfers will probably not work.

We'll definitely look around in the South End. We may be able to downsize a bit and afford something there. And we'd love to live in the Leather District (it's similar to where we live now, I think), but that seems to be out of our price range. Fort Point seems nice, but that's out of our reach as well--I'm seeing things in the 4000-5000 range. (Holy moly.) Coolidge Corner is still on the list, but I tend to think Cantabridgienne is right--it may not have the vibe we're looking for, despite its being quite urban. We're definitely open to checking it out, though.

Maybe we do need to consider Cambridge & Sommerville. We had thought that areas in those neighborhoods sounded up our alley, but we're concerned about the commute being too long. Maybe we could make it work, though. . .

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM

866 posts, read 2,627,582 times
I recommend the South End as well. I think you would like it even though you may have to downsize a little bit. You can easily walk to a Green Line stop in 5-15 minutes, depending on what part of the neighborhood you're in (Arlington, Copley, or Hynes).

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM

The South End is the worst. Get a cheap car and it will solve the problem.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
I recommend the South End as well. I think you would like it even though you may have to downsize a little bit. You can easily walk to a Green Line stop in 5-15 minutes, depending on what part of the neighborhood you're in (Arlington, Copley, or Hynes).
None of these (Arlington, Copley, or Hynes) are in the South End. The only Green Line stop in the SE is Prudential and then you have to go up to Arlington cross over and go back to BC. That is insane.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM

95 posts, read 275,080 times
I think if we wind up in the South End, the plan would be to either walk or take a bus to a Green Line stop. It looks like it would be a bus ride of 10min or less--not bad.

Likewise with Cambridge, which I'm now thinking might be a good option. Central Square is 10min by bus down MA Ave to the Hynes stop on the Green Line. The total commute from Central Square would be around 1hr--that's acceptable.

And no, we won't be getting a car. We choose not to have one for a variety of reasons, one of which is the fact that it saves us quite a bit of money. But, we could easily afford to have a car--i.e. we could save less and make a car payment, insurance payment, etc. It's more a matter of the lifestyle we prefer. After living for years in LA without a car (where people react as if you don't have a home!), we would certainly not buy one in a city with a public transportation system like Bostons.

Thanks everyone so much for all your advice. We really appreciate it. At this point, I think we're leaning towards South End and Central Square as our first choices, and Coolidge Corner as a potentially more affordable plan B. But, we're open to other suggestions if you have them!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 AM

A T-Pass for two of you is gonna cost almost $1700 for the year with the new fare increases. You can buy a used car and insure+register it for that much, then you won't have to waste 2+ hours of your day on buses and trains, schlepping in the heat, cold, rain, and snow. 20 minutes back and forth to BC and you'll have plenty more time to have the lifestyle you prefer in JP. Plus unlike the South End and Cambridge, street parking is easy in JP so people with cars can come visit you. You'll get more house for your money in JP than in the South End. During rush hour in Cambridge it will definitely take way longer than 10 minutes to get from Central to Hynes, Mass ave is a parking lot. Also, SE has no supermarkets, Central has a gross Stop and Shop, JP has a Whole Foods and a new Stop and Shop.

Directions: 32 ******** St, Boston, MA 02130 to Boston College - Chestnut Hill Campus - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston