Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4269a View Post
A T-Pass for two of you is gonna cost almost $1700 for the year with the new fare increases. You can buy a used car and insure+register it for that much, then you won't have to waste 2+ hours of your day on buses and trains, schlepping in the heat, cold, rain, and snow.
Besides that being an overly optimistic cost to buy/register/insure a car, not too mention maintain and put gas in, the OP doesn't want a car. She seems to be plenty happy without one in LA where everyone has a car, I'm sure she will be just fine without one here. Not everyone wants to deal with driving, maintain a car, shoveling out a car in the snow, etc. Boston is a great city to be car-less in. I know people in the SE, Back Bay, Cambridge, Belmont, Waltham, Quincy, Watertown, and Brookline who are all quite happy without a car.

Last edited by beth98; 04-25-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
Quote:
None of these (Arlington, Copley, or Hynes) are in the South End. The only Green Line stop in the SE is Prudential and then you have to go up to Arlington cross over and go back to BC. That is insane.
I didn't say these stops were in the South End. I said that each of these stops is a relatively short walk from points in the South End, depending on where you are. I can walk to the Copley T stop in 10 minutes.

Also, why is the South End "the worst"? Making a statement without giving reasons why is not helpful. I like it a lot, and many others do, too. The OP should visit the neighborhood and decide for him/herself.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Also, SE has no supermarkets, Central has a gross Stop and Shop, JP has a Whole Foods and a new Stop and Shop.

Directions: 32 ******** St, Boston, MA 02130 to Boston College - Chestnut Hill Campus - Google Maps

There is a Whole Foods just outside of Central Square, another one within a half mile of Central Square. There's also the Harvest Co-op market and Trader Joe's. You won't exactly starve if you live here.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM

116 posts, read 319,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post

Also, why is the South End "the worst"? Making a statement without giving reasons why is not helpful. I like it a lot, and many others do, too. The OP should visit the neighborhood and decide for him/herself.
Overpriced apartments, restaurants, and stores. Parking and traffic is a nightmare. Barely any green space. Spoiled brats as neighbors. Crime. Trash everywhere. Under served by the T.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
Quote:
Overpriced apartments, restaurants, and stores. Parking and traffic is a nightmare. Barely any green space. Spoiled brats as neighbors. Crime. Trash everywhere. Under served by the T.
Sounds like an urban neighborhood just isn't for you. I personally like it because I can walk anywhere in the downtown/Back Bay/Fenway area from my apartment. The OP is looking for a dense, walkable, urban environment, so I suspect they might like the South End. True, it is expensive. But there are parks throughout the neighborhood, and the Back Bay T station is not far at all. Plus we have the Silver Line. I'm not sure how the T access is worse than JP.

I'm not going to argue over every point here, but parking really isn't that bad; 90% of the time I find a spot almost right away. And the OP isn't going to have a car anyway, so it's a moot point.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Besides that being an overly optimistic cost to buy/register/insure a car, not too mention maintain and put gas in, the OP doesn't want a car. She seems to be plenty happy without one in LA where everyone has a car, I'm sure she will be just fine without one here. Not everyone wants to deal with driving, maintain a car, shoveling out a car in the snow, etc. Boston is a great city to be car-less in. I know people in the SE, Back Bay, Cambridge, Belmont, Waltham, Quincy, Watertown, and Brookline who are all quite happy without a car.

Just checked Cars.com and there are hundreds of cars going for $2-3k in the area. My opinion is they will be much happier with a 10 minute drive to BC than they will with an hour long bus and train trek. Just thinking about it makes me miserable. I think the number of people that would prefer an easy commute vastly outnumber those who would not because they can't deal with driving. Just honest advice from a Boston lifer.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Sounds like an urban neighborhood just isn't for you. I personally like it because I can walk anywhere in the downtown/Back Bay/Fenway area from my apartment. The OP is looking for a dense, walkable, urban environment, so I suspect they might like the South End. True, it is expensive. But there are parks throughout the neighborhood, and the Back Bay T station is not far at all. Plus we have the Silver Line. I'm not sure how the T access is worse than JP.

I'm not going to argue over every point here, but parking really isn't that bad; 90% of the time I find a spot almost right away. And the OP isn't going to have a car anyway, so it's a moot point.
An urban environment isn't for me? Really? I lived in them my whole life.

Great you can walk a mile to nearby neighborhoods, BC is almost 10 miles from the South End.

JP is a dense walkable NICE urban environment and its parks make the South End look like a joke.

T access is about the same, depending on where you live in JP it can be way better than the SE and the rents aren't insane like the SE.

Parking does suck for those who don't have SE res stickers so basically no one will come visit you.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM

95 posts, read 275,036 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think it's best if we move past the car issue. I appreciate everyone's advice, and I appreciate the fact that sm4269a prefers to drive. As you say, many people do. But, we do not, for a variety of reasons. Driving involves using fuel, which is a limited resource the use of which has not just environmental but also social and political consequences. Driving a car also creates pollution in the form of exhaust fumes and gasoline/oil. And when more people drive, traffic is worse for everyone. Those are some of the reasons we prefer not to drive--and you should thank us, because we make things better for everyone when we make this choice. At least we are one fewer car on the road blocking up traffic.

But not having a car isn't just an altruistic decision. We reap a lot of benefits. We get a lot more exercise because we walk much more than we would if we had a car. We avoid the stress of dealing with traffic--no road rage. We relax and let someone else do the driving. We are also less likely to be injured in a traffic accident. So, there are various health benefits. We also enjoy interacting with other people in our community--something that is easily lost behind the wheel of a car.

And, of course, there are financial benefits. We could buy a junky car for $2000-3000. But then we have to insure it, register it, buy gas for it, maintain and repair it, and often pay to park it. We also have to worry about where its parked, whether it's safe, whether it will start, etc. For us, jumping on the bus is much easier. And we consider it to be the right thing to do. We don't feel comfortable using a car when public transportation is available. We don't think that everyone else should feel the same way, but we have to live in a way that fits with our own values.

It's true--public transportation takes longer. But that is not wasted time. We work on the train--reading, grading papers, prepping for class, or even just catching up on the news. And sometimes, what you consider to the the best thing overall does have its inconveniences.

So, some people might be happier with a car, and those people should do what makes them happy. But, we have owned a car in the past, sold it some years ago, and have found that we are much happier without it, longer commute times notwithstanding. We currently have around a 1hr commute to and from work, and we don't mind it a bit. So we don't anticipate being miserable with a similar commute in Boston. Clearly our lifestyle isn't for sm4269, but that's okay--it just has to work for us.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Hey you could always ride a bike from JP and it would take under 30 minutes. Those buses run on gas and the T runs on electricity from coal.

Rush hour commuting by bus or T in Boston is no zen experience, you'll have plenty of stress, trust me.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
I've lived in/around the city for several years without owning a car. It's really not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston