Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 AM

8 posts, read 22,767 times

Advertisements

Thanks Ogre I was born in Poland but only lived there until I was 5 so I don't remember much of it and have only gone back sporadically to see family every few years.
The last time I went during winter, several year ago, I remember it being blistering cold. I guess I am just trying to say that although I have endured cold weather for short periods, I don't know how I will manage living in cold weather for long periods of time...

Thank you for your suggestions though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,642 times
I will be moving from a place much colder than Boston and I think ogre has some good advice. I have found my most useful piece of clothing to be a windproof, waterproof jacket. Wool is essential for me during the winter, both long underwear and socks. I'm used to a few days of -30F windchill which I think will not happen frequently in Boston. I get most of my stuff from your NZ neighbors so you might be able to get it cheaper there than what I am paying for it!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 22,767 times
I didn't realise the kiwis did anything useful... joking!! NZ is beautiful and they do have beautiful wool products (although merino is better :P). It might even be cheaper in the US actually given that we Aussies seem to pay a mark up for everything regardless of currency rates!!
Thanks for the good advice guys

Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 PM

794 posts, read 1,408,858 times
Hi, congrats on your post doc! We're Australians moving to Boston, too, but we've been in the US for almost ten years now.

If you're looking for warm underwear, look at REI.com or EddieBauer.com for an idea of what's available. Woolen things may well be cheaper in Australia, because it's not as popular in the US. I know when my kids were babies all their woolen stuff came from home.

You won't be that cold. Remember everyone in the US has central heating, and most people keep it turned up to an extent that I actually find too warm. When you go to someone's house in winter, be prepared to need to be in short sleeves inside.

I'm puzzled about apartment searching, too. Normally Craigslist is the place to go, but there don't seem to be many rentals. Housing maps is an awesome mashup which maps craigslist postings. Boston.com has listings as well. As for looking for postdoc flatmates you could look at the websites of other big research unis, as well - MIT, Harvard. MIT has a great discussion of neighbourhoods.

Some other random advice:
Bring a supply of feminine hygiene products (it might be embarrassing at the checkout when you're buying them, but you will be grateful you did).

If you'll be getting any paperwork to file or bringing anything, make sure you bring something to put it in. American filing cabinets and folders are exactly 8 1/2 by 11 inches, and your Australian papers won't fit. I don't know if you whippersnappers print journal articles these days, but when we came my husband ripped off the front page of each printed paper and brought it as a reference (his travel money was one lump sum, and spending less on shipping work journal articles was money to spend bringing important things like chocolate and tampons).

Organic Valley milk tastes like you expect milk to taste. Smart Chicken (a brand) tastes like you expect chicken to taste. eatwild.com is a resource for finding grassfed meat, which tastes like you expect it to taste. Bring your own mixed spice if you use it. Other things, like Garam Marsala are harder to find, but you can always order them online.

Bring codeine if you use it, it's prescription only here.

There is no distinction between fresh bread and two or three day old bread, so always check the use by date. I can't recommend a brand because none of the ones I know are like Australian bread are available in Boston.

Find Trader Joes. Go there.

Your heating bill will horrify you. In our first winter I assumed energy was cheap, since everyone else used their heaters so much. WRONG! It is just as expensive as you'd expect - around $300 a month for a three bedroom house in a much milder climate with gas heat. Apparently oil is a lot more expensive. So look for gas or electric heat, and check out how good the windows look when you see the place. Also check if you can put a window air conditioner in in the summer.

Get your SSN ASAP because you need it for everything. And, most places ask for it but don't actually need it. Always try to get away without giving it out if you can.

People will love your accent, but they won't understand a word of what you're saying on the phone. I try and do things in person because it's just easier.

I've probably left out a dozen things. Any questions?

edited to add... oh! bugs! Waaaaaay worse in the US. Ticks! and bugs that can crawl through screens! And biting flies!

and... looking on the orange line, Charlestown looked nice, what's it like, Bostonians? also there is a lot of retail around the Wellington T stop, and some really nice looking high rise apartments.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM

122 posts, read 167,699 times
It's kind of funny I found this. I live in Charlestown. I like it here but I don't think it's what you're looking for. The nice parts are too expensive and almost nobody like you lives in the rest. I've noticed that certain neighborhoods attract new young migrants. These places will have people from all over the world and also are usually the most liberal too. So it all comes down to money. If you want to live alone on that salary, it's gonna be tough. Finding a roommate would enable you to live in a much nicer place. Anyway, here is where I would look. If you like urban and want to be closer to Tufts, start with the South End. Then Jamaica Plain. Unless you are a religious conservative, I think you would fit in here very well and make friends easier than, say, Charlestown or Southie. Brookline is very nice, on the green line, but expensive. A bit cheaper but pretty nice is Somerville. Davis Square would be best and most expensive but farther from the square is cheaper. Also right on the red line. But, in the end, if you can't afford these places, Allston/Brighton might work. Or Malden, very international these days but still very blue collar. You could get even more for your money in some marginal and more dangerous neighborhoods. However, I think you would happiest sticking to the places people like you move to. Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 836 times
Thumbs up How was the move

Hi Ania,

Hope your move was successful? I'm planning a move from Brisbane to Boston, more than likely in November, and would love any feedback / information that you can provide.

I'm looking to move with a job and just looking for a safe area and really hope you provide some advice.

Thanks in advice,
Suj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ania_ania View Post
Hi Everyone

I realise that there are many posts about moving to Boston on this forum and I have taken the time to read through many of them although I am in a unique situation. I am a young (25 yo) female moving from Brisbane Australia to Boston in September to take up a position as a postdoctoral scientist at Tufts' Uni Medical Oncology Research Institute. I will be on NIH starting salary of $39,264 (although factoring in the 5.3% state income tax this will actually be $37,183).
I am hoping to find a 1 br or studio apartment as close to Boston city as possible although given my salary I don't know whether this is even possible. The Institute I am working in is in the City, near Chinatown, the Tufts Uni Boston campus and the Tufts Medical Center. Given the lovely public transport in Boston, I would prefer not to have a car and use public transport to commute to my place of work.
In addition to not knowing the area AT ALL or the way real estate is managed in the US (I am told craigslist is a popular way of listing rentals??) I am quite picky about where I live and would definitely not be able to live in somewhere horrible or infested (although I doubt Boston has the same "bug" problem as Australia!).

Can anyone please suggest some locations which I may be able to afford to look at? I also don't understand the difference between no-fee apartments and broker fees? Is there any legislation protecting renters from crazy landlords? In Australia we have an agency which lays down the law for rental properties and has many rules, such as requiring at least 24 hrs notice from your landlord if they wish to enter the property (and that is only in emergencies).

I realise I am asking alot but I would really appreciate any help given!!

Thanks,

Ania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston